PDA

View Full Version : Help a research-obsessed Mom

Mommy_Again
05-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Hi all - I am WAY old timer to the boards...was last here over 3 years ago under a different user name. After a very liberating divorce I am back with a new amazing DH and a DD due in late September. Since DS is 5 1/2, I am starting from scratch on all my equipment...and wow have things changed in 6 years!

I've researched and read reviews up the wazoo and am still no closer to knowing what I want. Was hoping ya'll could answer some questions and point me in the right direction

- Do stroller with 2 handles allow for one-handed steering? The last umbrella stroller I had (a Chicco I think) had two handles and I couldn't steer with one hand without my wrist feeling like it was going to snap. I am automatically dismissing 2 handled strollers now because of that and wonder if I am doing myself a disservice - maybe I just had a bad experience with that umbrella?

- Being able to have the baby face me or the world is important. My first stroller with DS was the Peg Venezia and I loved the rotating bar. I see now that many strollers have rotating seats instead - where you have to take it out and flip it around. How much of a pain is that?

- The Bugaboo and it's copycats weren't around last time I did this. Style-wise, I gravitate to the more classic 4-wheel carriage looking strollers, but there has got to be something great about these ergomonic 3-wheel strollers with the big single wheel up front, because there are so many out there now. What are the benefits?

- I live a pretty suburban lifestyle - stroller will be used on neighborhood walks, trips to the mall, in and out of cars, etc. Ease of breaking down is important, and I'm 5'2" and drive an SUV so I don't want to struggle getting in into the car. I hear mixed reviews about the Bugaboo in terms of the 2-part fold.

- I want the option to hook my infant seat in at the beginning but I think I'd like the carriage/bassinet option as well. I anticipate getting the stroller as a gift so I'd like it keep it under $700.

Any help would be appreciated - I would love to be able to cross this off my list and stop the obsessing!

borntorun09
05-24-2009, 09:37 AM
It's like we're the same person! Haven't been here in years and now my youngest is 6 and I'm remarried and expecting a baby in August! I felt so out of the baby gear loop!!

I was looking for a lot of the same things you are-- especially being 5'2 and wanting something that would be comfortable to push, one handle bar and the ability to reverse the seat so I can see baby. I've had carpal tunnel surgery so I hate the thought of having my wrists in an awkward position to steer the stroller.

Yesterday I took the plunge and ordered my Cameleon. I'm so excited! Easy steering, reversible seat, ordered the adapter for car seat for quick trips, and I got 10% off at Letsgostrolling.com with the Memorial Day sale!! I had a Frog at one point years ago and loved it. I decided the one piece fold was ok since it has everything else I'm looking for right now. I considered the Teutonia 100 series but the fold was just not going to work size-wise.

I realize it's not under $700 but am so glad my obsessing can end- at least for a while ;)

edurnemk
05-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi! I hope I can help you with a few pointers:

- Do stroller with 2 handles allow for one-handed steering? The last umbrella stroller I had (a Chicco I think) had two handles and I couldn't steer with one hand without my wrist feeling like it was going to snap. I am automatically dismissing 2 handled strollers now because of that and wonder if I am doing myself a disservice - maybe I just had a bad experience with that umbrella?

Most of these do not allow one handed steering, although in this category Maclarens are the easiest to steer. I just use my umbrella for air travel or Public Transportation.

- Being able to have the baby face me or the world is important. My first stroller with DS was the Peg Venezia and I loved the rotating bar. I see now that many strollers have rotating seats instead - where you have to take it out and flip it around. How much of a pain is that?
My stroller has a reversibel seat and I don't find it hard to do. I even turn mine with my Ds in it! And he's 23 pounds. I think this option is more popular than the reversible handle because of maneuverability. Most strollers with reversible handles are hard to steer when reversed. The only one that comes to mind now is the Bumbleride Flyer. Of course the Bugaboo Frog and the Cameleon have both reversible seats and handles (but when you have the big wheels in front it's very hard to turn, it's meant for going through snow and sand).

- The Bugaboo and it's copycats weren't around last time I did this. Style-wise, I gravitate to the more classic 4-wheel carriage looking strollers, but there has got to be something great about these ergomonic 3-wheel strollers with the big single wheel up front, because there are so many out there now. What are the benefits?
Bugaboo (and others in this style) doesn't have 3 wheels, it has 4, but they have a lot of suspension and the big air filled tires or foam filled tires in the back are great for bumpy terrain. They steer like a dream, seriuosly, you can push and turn with your pinky. These strollers are really versatile, they do the job of a regular full-featured stroller and also do great on harsher terrain (bumpy sidewalks, grass, snow). That's why they're a great option fo rurban dwellers who walk a lot (like me, and I also live in a snowy place)
The 3 wheeled strollers are the All-terrain and Jogging strollers. Also with great steering and smooth ride.

- I live a pretty suburban lifestyle - stroller will be used on neighborhood walks, trips to the mall, in and out of cars, etc. Ease of breaking down is important, and I'm 5'2" and drive an SUV so I don't want to struggle getting in into the car. I hear mixed reviews about the Bugaboo in terms of the 2-part fold.
I don't mind the 2 part fold, really it takes an extra 5 seconds, but some people do mind. Putting it in the trunk in 2 parts makes it lighter. A lot of the Bugaboo-style strollers fold in one piece. (I have the UPPABaby Vista, it can be folded in one piece qwhen forwar-facing, but is a 2 piece fold when rear-facing - although you can actually fold it like this in one piece it's too bulky for a sedan)
If you want something lighter and more compact, check out the Bugaboo Bee or the Peg Perego Switch.

- I want the option to hook my infant seat in at the beginning but I think I'd like the carriage/bassinet option as well. I anticipate getting the stroller as a gift so I'd like it keep it under $700.
Practically all new strollers (except most umbrellas) take a car seat, just check whicih one is compatible one you pick a stroller, some requiere the purchase of a separate adaptor (around $40 for most). And there's a lot of options under $700, but first you should define the type of stroller you want (Air/foam tires or regular tires, etc.)

I hope this was helpful.

strollerqueen
05-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Great tutorial! :)

MamaBear
05-24-2009, 01:34 PM
My son is 2.5, and the only stroller we have is a Cameleon. We've travelled lots with it (lived in Europe for a while, so schlepped it all over the place), taken it on 15 planes (#16 will be this week), high-speed trains and commuter trains, trams, etc. The only form of public transit that defeated us were the streetcars in Toronto (but they aren't friendly to any stroller, IMO).

When our son was born, we had a VW Golf, and the 2-part fold was much appreciated. We could stack the pieces and still have some trunk space. Now we've got a Volvo XC70, so trunk space is not an option; if there's only the stroller in the trunk, I place the pieces side-by-side, but if I'm getting groceries or we're travelling, we stack the parts.

We did get an adapter for our carseat. In fact, I just loaned our carseat (a SafeSeat) to a friend who was travelling with her baby (9 months old and had already outgrown their Snugride, and since she also has a Cam appreciated being able to use the stroller/carseat combo for this quick trip. I liked the adapter for quick errands, like running into a bank or bakery but not getting parking nearby.

I *loved* the bassinet option! My son was safe and snuggly in there, and in fact it was his bed at home until I was ready to move him to his crib at 3 months.

#2 is now on the way, and I'll definitely continue to use the Bug with a toddler board and maybe a Twoo seat. I'm planning on another stroller, since we'll still be travelling and my son will just have to ride at times; my current love is the iCandy Peach, in no small part because, stylistically, it seems to be Bugaboo-esque.

BTW, my son is now about 33lbs, and even when the stroller basket is fully-loaded, I can still steer one-handed. Love my Bug!

sak90027
05-24-2009, 01:56 PM
I love my Cameleon! we began with a peg perego P3 and my baby (who is now 8 months) hated not being able to see us when we pushed him forward facing. even though he's still in his infant car seat (also peg) we wanted an option for him to have just a stroller as well. We tried him in (uppababy, quinny, stokke, orbit) and he seemed to hate all of them so we went for the bugaboo mainly b/c I was able to go to their warehouse sale and got the stroller for the same cost as the uppababy.

the 2 fold is a bit of a pain but we're getting used to it. the stroller does take some effort in learning to fold and unfold. in fact, our front wheel used to stick when folded so it was hard to get apart. I called Bugaboo and they replaced the entire part with no questions.

the compartment at the bottom is small but it fit's the diaper bag snug and really that's all i need.

the wheels of the 2008-2009 are foam filled. anything before that is air filled.

pushing the stroller is the best and the baby loves it. at the end of the day that's what really matters to us--that he's happy and not screaming in the stroller. he also loves that he's able to see us. there were some adjustments to make but it's been worth it to see him napping comfortably in the stroller.

the one thing i didn't like about the uppababy was it's width. it's really wide at the base and wasn't sure if it was going to fit in the trunk of my small audi. but other than that the uppababy seemed like a strong contender.

quinny seemed flimsy and not as good quality as the bugaboo and uppababy. Same for the orbit. good luck!

lefarrell
05-25-2009, 04:20 PM
If you don't need the big wheels for snow than I would second someone else's suggestion of the Bugaboo Bee. It has terrific steering, and you can rear or forward face, but your child can't be in the seat to change directions - a little less convenient, but not difficult at all. The fold is easy enough, as long as nothing is in the bottom of the stroller (true of most strollers). I also have a Frog and found the 2 part fold to even have it's advantages, just do a search on this board for my fairly lengthy explanation. With a Frog or Cam you can switch the direction of the seat with your child still on board, and being able to switch the handle is useful too, if only to get it out of the way to feed your little one, take a picture, or move it out of the way in a restaurant.

Follow your instincts and don't compromise on one handle being more comfortable for you and having the ability to rear face.

Congratulations and good luck!