PDA

View Full Version : Sookie fans - need help on Definitely Dead/Book 6

Twoboos
05-24-2009, 01:58 PM
I know there are other Sookie Stackhouse fans out there! I need some help on book 6 in the series, "Definitely Dead."

In this one, Sookie's cousin Hadley was a vamp, and she died left all her stuff to Sookie, and she has to go to New Orleans to clean the apt. They keep talking about how the Queen of Louisiana and her lawyer came to visit Sookie to tell her previously.

Now, usually the books kind of "reviews" what happened in the previous few books. I have NO recollection of this whole incident w/the cousin!! It is making me crazy. I've been flipping through Dead to the World (4) and Dead as a Doornail (5) and can't find a reference to this. (I loaned out 1-3 so can't check those.)

This seems like too much plot to not have elaborated on in one of the previous books. Is my memory going?? Or are they really just dropping this in here? (Or am I reading them out of order, which would be WORSE!!)

help!?

wellyes
05-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Nope, not just you. I remember early on while reading that one I went online to try & figure out which book I missed. I think Cousin Hadley just kind of came out of nowhere.

And spoiler-y below.........

This was the book that finally made me roll my eyes at the absurdity of the series. Sookie in the big city with a mystery cousin & now there are "demons" = my least favorite book by far.

Melaine
05-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I read on a review on Amazon that there are some inconstencies in the series...personally I read them semi-out-of-order due to library availability so it was even more confusing. Also, I have a very bad memory, so I just shrug when I get to something I don't remember. I do think that Harris went a little overboard with some of the minor characters, and I SWEAR that in something I read the cousin was named Hailey, not Hadley....or is there another person named Hailey???

sdjeppa
05-24-2009, 04:09 PM
It is not just you. I had the same question! I have a Kindle, that I have all the Sookie books on, and I actually went back to the 2 books before it and searched for the word "Hadley" in them, and didn't find it except the one time she's mentioned...so its just an inconsistency, but a maddening one!

Jenny, Mommy to Z 9-27-03

Twoboos
05-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Thank you all for clarifying, I really thought I was losing my reading retention!

And may I say, how ANNOYING!! But I will try to let it go, considering I like the series. :)

frgsnlzrds
05-24-2009, 06:10 PM
I know you already got your answer, but I'll chime in with my two cents too. I was really confused and went back to the previous book to see if I missed something. You learn more as the book goes on, but it feels like there's a story missing. Maybe it'll be in the upcoming short story book.

valeriec
05-24-2009, 06:54 PM
I remember being confused when I read that book as well. I did a search and found the following on charlaineharris.com:

Q. When we hear about Cousin Hadley in DEFINITELY DEAD, it’s like we’re only getting part of the story.

A. Sookie’s cousin Hadley’s background is contained in the short story “One Word Answer,” originally published in the anthology BITE. Laurell K. Hamilton is usually listed as the main writer in this anthology.

HTH! I haven't actually read the story yet...

Twoboos
05-24-2009, 08:32 PM
I remember being confused when I read that book as well. I did a search and found the following on charlaineharris.com:

Q. When we hear about Cousin Hadley in DEFINITELY DEAD, it’s like we’re only getting part of the story.

A. Sookie’s cousin Hadley’s background is contained in the short story “One Word Answer,” originally published in the anthology BITE. Laurell K. Hamilton is usually listed as the main writer in this anthology.

See now, that's even MORE annoying. I have to get a whole other book, half written by someone else, to find out what happened here?? Sheesh. :irked:

kransden
05-25-2009, 12:50 AM
Get it from the library or wait until the anthology comes out this fall. This stuff makes me crazy too.

Toba
05-25-2009, 02:25 AM
See now, that's even MORE annoying. I have to get a whole other book, half written by someone else, to find out what happened here?? Sheesh. :irked:

I can't remember exactly which ones, but there are a few other short stories that the author has written that involve more information about Sookie or are considered "Sookie Universe." I haven't read any of them yet, but you can find the title and sequence at charlaineharris.com.