PDA

View Full Version : What accessories do you use with the Bee?

newtonj
05-24-2009, 03:53 PM
After much research and soul searching I've decided to go with a Bugaboo Bee. What I'm wondering now is, if you have the Bee, what accessories do you love having? Here are some thoughts/questions....

1. Nest- great deal now at many places where when you buy the Bee you get the nest for free so perfect for use with infant. Am also wondering if maybe with a nest I can forgo a car seat adapter.

2. Footmuff- assume I will need one of these in the fall/winter

3. Cup holder- do you use the Bugaboo or a different brand?

4. Parent Console- is there a brand/style that works best?

5. Diaper Bag- think I'm getting the Skip Hop Duo, can I hang it from the bee w/o it tipping?

6. All the rest....I see things like the sunshade and breezy sun canopy on the site, seems like stuff I don't need but I'd love to hear about your experience....

Thanks for the help!

jjjo1112
05-25-2009, 12:23 AM
I have a bugaboo bee and really like it. I have the nest, if you can get a good deal on it or get it for free, I would go for it. At full price, I probably wouldn't. I didn't get a ton of use out of it, but I have bigger babies. I feel like a snuzzler could work almost as well. I did get the carseat adapter for quick in and out of the car errands. I also have a petunia picklebottom diaper bag with the valet stroller clips and love it. I have been through many bags and always come back to this one. The stroller clips fit perfectly on the bee. I also have a stroller liner/canopy from mama-la(www.mama-la.com). Not needed but totally cute!! I don't have anything else, hopefully someone else will chime in. Good luck, I'm sure you'll love your bee.
Jackie

kcandz
05-25-2009, 01:33 PM
The car seat adaptor is still useful in case the baby is already asleep in the car seat when you get to your destination. The graco adaptor is very easy to use. I agree with PP about the nest - great for a deal or free but not worth full price. We don't have a need for breezy canopy. The sunshade I got for free and it is fine. It works best if the original canopy is removed but it still looks like the baby gets some sun, just diffused. I have been using it over the original canopy - not nearly as cool looking but more useful than nothing. Our climate/lifestyle is too mild to really need the footmuff and I don't believe in cupholders. :) I can't speak to the aftermarket accessories. I carry a diaper bag or stick it in the basket.

lefarrell
05-25-2009, 03:22 PM
I only recently got my Bee just before my DS turned 1. I haven't bought any accessories yet, but here is what I plan on getting based on my experience over the last year with the Bugaboo Frog.

1. The footmuff is terrific to use in cool and cold weather. With the footmuff I didn't have to bundle my little guy up as much, and it also worked as a great liner to protect the stroller when he started eating solids and we used the stroller as a high chair when we were out.

2. I seriously need to order the Breezy Canopy because my DS likes to look around. The sun canopy for the Bee is even larger than that of the Frog and with it heating up here and needing to fully extend the canopy for sun protection he's complaining about not being able to look out.

3. I don't use a cup holder as I'm not walking around with coffee, but I do attach a Kleen Kanteen for water with a NY Thirsty Tote bottle sleeve that has it's own snap.

4. In the beginning I used a Skip Hop Dash, and the stroller clips are nice, but I haven't used it with the Bee as I quickly found diaper bags weren't all that convenient for me. They don't do anything a good fanny pack, backpack, or your favorite bag can do, and more comfortably so. Now with my Bee I just slip a small duffel bag in the bottom.

5. A friend of mine has the sun shade and isn't totally thrilled with it. One complaint she has is it isn't easy to access your child without just about completely removing it, and she didn't feel like it fit super great. I just ordered a pair of SPF 50 BabyLegs, so between those, sun screen and the Breezy Canopy I think we'll be good. I've also found that having my DS facing me, even now at age 1, he seems to get less sun than if he were facing out.

6. You didn't ask about it, but the umbrella is cute, and was useful with my Frog when I used the bassinet, but beyond that it's not too convenient, and my friend that has one for her Bee says its only good at noon when the sun is directly overhead (her DD faces out and seems to get a lot more sun on her than my DS facing rear when we stroll together).

7. Oh yes, and let me comment on the transport/travel bag. I have the wheeled universal bag for my Frog, and just used if for my Bee - what a monstrosity! First, be aware that there is a transport bag specifically for the Bee only, that is smaller, and would be more convenient to use. I don't know why you rarely see this on-line, but I purchased my bag when I was purchasing my Bee and the store showed me both. Since I have the Frog, and it is still my preferred stroller, I got the universal bag. However, after having flown with my Frog twice (unprotected) and once with my Bee in the universal bag, I decided my biggest concern is my stroller getting dirty, and that the size of the transport bag just isn't really worth it (if you are having to navigate public places and public transportation a lot like we do when we travel in Europe). If you are just driving to the airport and driving home, and space or lugging the transport bag isn't an issue (because it's still good sized when you fold it up), then it's probably not a bad investment, but after our last trip I decided to just get one of the red "gate check" type bags and next time I'll strap my Bee closed and just use that.

8. Last but not least, I'll also comment on a liner. Once your child starts eating solid foods, unless you want to be washing your stroller everyday, you'll want a liner of some kind. I have a mama-la for my Frog, and it is okay. I don't think I'll be buying that brand for my Bee. I've seen several sellers on eBay but none appear to provide adequate coverage. Both my DS and my friends DD like to grab the wings, especially with grubby hands, so I want a liner that has a sleeve that covers my wings... I may have to sew one myself... but maybe I'm just too picky, and anything that at least covers the inside of the wings and the seat would be a good start. A matching canopy is nice, but not necessary.

Hope this helps!

lefarrell
05-25-2009, 03:44 PM
oops, sorry for the dupe!

newtonj
05-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks- you guys have given me some great tips! I had no idea that there even was such a thing as a stroller liner before your posts. I checked out the Mama-La website- great looking stuff- but where can you actually buy it?

Regarding travel- do you think a red "gate check" type bag would protect the Bee enough?

Didn't see any comments about a console, do you not use one?

Last...and of course most important....any thoughts on what color to get? What color do you have and do you love it? I'm thinking either Red or Yellow but am not sure which one (if either). Also deciding whether I should get matching color nest or go for black for contrast. I am so excited to get my bee!

strollerqueen
05-26-2009, 10:35 PM
There are are several liners and custom Bee canopies on Ebay, and several moms make them in StrollerSwap. As for accessories, I have the cobalt blue footmuff with the blue canopy. I just love that shade. I did have the red and red before, though, and thought it was too red. So that color I would contrast. I also use the "CarryYou" cupholder. www.carryyou.com You can also just get a Skip Hop diaper bag, and put cups in the front pockets. www.skiphop.com

lefarrell
05-27-2009, 03:08 AM
I don't use a console, and as strollerqueen mentioned, the liners are after-market, and not from Bugaboo. Mama-la sells old season items on eBay, so you can contact her there, though I've never seen her Bee liners on eBay, search under Frog or Cam.

I have a Red canopy and was going to get a red Footmuff, but have decided to go with black so I can change the canopy color in the future if I want. I really like the yellow, but for city living thought it would get filthy and show dirt terribly. My friend has the pink with the pink footmuff and you don't miss her coming down the street! When I was in London recently I saw the Khaki color, and it was quite smart looking, and I was also surprised at the mix and match colors I saw going on with the Bee, like Blue and Red, or Yellow with Blue, Red or Black and Khaki with Blue and Black, so the choice is really yours.

ahrimie
05-27-2009, 06:03 AM
I have the bright pink one and think it's absolutely adorable. I have the Cameleon with 2 Bugaboo cupholders and keep meaning to transfer one over to the Bee.... but just never do. :P

That's the only accessory I really like; it's useful to have something on the stroller--even if it's not just for drinks. For walks, I put my keys and cell phone in there too. I like the carry you that Strollerqueen mentioned but I haven't seen one IRL.

You mentioned transport bags and the red gate check bag. I have the regular Bugaboo transport bag; used it twice and will never use it again. It's incredibly bulky and just to get your stroller in there is a workout. I'm not sure if you have to take the Bee apart to put it in (you have to take apart the Cam a little bit) so if you traveling alone with a very small child or infant--forget about it. I think the red gate check bag is plenty enough though I have traveled with no bag before. Your stroller gets a little dirty.. but it gets dirty anyway and you can just easily wipe it off.