PDA

View Full Version : Stroller advice needed for first time mom

charley
05-24-2009, 06:15 PM
I live in Chicago and will be having my first baby in early November. The baby is due at the beginning of the long Chicago winter, so for the first 5-6 months of the baby's life we won't be venturing out too much. We live in the city near the blustery lakefront.

Since we obviously will need to get an infant car seat, I'm thinking perhaps we get the Graco SnugRide car seat with the stroller frame (for the few times we'll need a stroller), and then by the time the weather is getting nicer and we can venture out to the park and on walks, baby will be ready for a nice umbrella stroller - something that can handle the bumpy city sidewalks and is light to haul up to our second story condo (perhaps the Uppa G-Luxe).

This plan seems to make sense to me, but as a first time mom who is feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the options and information out there, I'd appreciate the feedback - especially from anyone who has been in a similar situation. Also wondering how anyone else who has used the SnugRide in its stroller frame has liked it.

Thanks!!

edurnemk
05-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi, I live in Chicago as well and my son was born in winter. At first I had a Graco stroller which I hated, it was hard to steer among other things. I now have an UPPAbaby Vista which is wonderful, not only for the snow, but also the bumpy sidewalks (we have a Maclaren Quest for air travel and PT). Honestly an umbrella stroller is not a very smooth ride on Chicago sidewalks, and also not as easy to push. The Vista is not very light, but there are several options with air or foam tires that you may like, such as the Micralite Toro or FastFold, the Baby Jogger City Series (Elite or Classic), etc. You can get an adapter to snap the car seat on any of these, and thus skip the SNG.

Also, some babies hate being in the car seat, my DS was one of those from the start, so we never used the car seat on the stroller much, unless he fell asleep in the car.
But a lot of moms recommend getting the SNG while you figure out your needs. It's a personal choice, but this is my experience. I hope it helps.

GoBlue
05-24-2009, 08:43 PM
I also live in Chicago, and my baby was born in March. We have a Graco SafeSeat and the SnugRider stroller frame, which are GREAT for her being so small. The stroller frame is very light, and it's easy to detach the seat form the frame. Definitely get that combination.

However, the sidewalks in Chicago aren't the smoothest in the world, and I do a lot of walking with the baby. I was advised to get a stroller with all-terrain wheels, and I chose the Baby Jogger City Elite. We LOVE that stroller. I'd go to the Galt Baby in the Bloomingdales building and ask to talk to Michael (he's very knowledgable). I did that, but then bought the stroller online at babycatalog.com.

Good luck!

MmeSunny
05-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I don't think you'll be happy with the G-luxe for that young of an infant. Even at 4-5 months, the g-luxe won't recline enough (if at all?) for your child to be comfy or secure. Also, while I've not seen one IRL, all of the reviews I've read have panned them.

Something that would have a full recline, but be small enough and easy enough to carry up stairs would be an Inglesina Zippy or a Peg P3. Those would be my recs if you don't need airtires.

Airtires are better for "off roading" and walking with bumpy sidewalks, etc. The push is much easier, but you pay in weight.

If you wanted to go the airtire route, I would suggest a uppababy vista, which would also have a bassinette so you wouldn't need a snap and go.

You can watch videos demonstrating the fold/features etc on most strollers on youtube. Some UK store has great ones, I'm sorry but I can't remember their name. Also baby gizmo--but the host is sort of annoying, IMHO. Also strollerqueen's website has LOADS of info and REAL weights. Something the manufacture's don't usually have!

This was helpful for me because I don't live near any "baby boutiques" where I could try out a lot of these strollers in person.

Good luck. Congrats!

lefarrell
05-25-2009, 04:06 PM
If you are going to be doing a lot of walking, or even just out for good part of the day an umbrella isn't going to be that comfy for your little one. I agree the Zippy would have just about the best fold, especially for having to walk up to your condo, but I had one and personally couldn't stand how hit handled, so be sure to test drive as many strollers as you can.

If you won't need larger tires for winter snow I would suggest the Bugaboo Bee. It's a good "light plus" stroller, between an umbrella and a full size stroller, and it handles urban living quite well. The fold is easy enough, though it is flat and not umbrella, so a little more unwieldy to carry. My friend got a Quest for her 8 month old, and really likes it, though it wasn't my cup of tea.

You MUST get yourself a good baby carrier if you have to port up and down stairs everyday, and NOT a Bjorn. Consider a real soft structured carrier that will last you beyond 15lbs, and is healthier for your child like a Connecta, Ergo, Beco Butterfly, Olives and Applesauce... the choices are endless. Check out thebabywearer.com if you need to research one.

And finally remember that your choice of backpack/diaperbag or whatever it is you use to store the baby gear will be almost equally important because there are few strollers you can fold with anything attached to the handles or in the under storage basket, so you'll have to be carrying that too when you go up and down the stairs. I could fold my Frog with stuff in the bottom, and if you want a AT stroller, it might be a good choice as you wouldn't have to remove your child to carry them up and down the stairs, but you would have to make a second trip for the frame.

Good Luck!

arivecchi
05-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi. I live in Lincoln Park by the lake as well. When DS1 was born we lived in Streeterville right by the lake. They were both born in the dead of winter. With DS1, we used a Valco Runabout Trimode with the bassinet and weather cover for the bassinet. It could be 10 below outside and he was super cozy in there. However, we had an elevator back then, so the weight of the stroller was not an issue. When DS1 got a bit older, we got a Mac Triumph. It's not the best in rough sidewalks, but we use it a ton (when we travel, take the CTA or when we know the Valco won't fit somewhere, such as shopping, restaurants, etc.). I think in the city you need an all terrain/light weight stroller combo. There is no one stroller that can do it all. Now that DS2 has arrived, we have a Baby Jogger City Classic Double. We bought a weather shield for it, a snuzzler (we rarely use the car seat so he just sleeps on the stroller seat with the snuzzler) and a Valco footmuff for the winter. We all love the Baby Jogger. While we love the Valco, the Baby Jogger is just fabulous. It has an awesome canopy, lots of storage, the seat reclines all the way down or stays super upright with a light pull of a clip, handles rough terrain, has an adjustable handlebar and one-step fold. Most importantly, the seats are super tall so you DC can use it for a very long time... As I mentioned, we didn't use the car seat much, so a stroller frame would have been a waste of money for us. We do used our Baby Bjorn Active with DS1 and upgraded to an Ergo with DS2. I would use the money for a baby carrier instead of a stroller frame. You will get more use of it in the city. Good luck!

AnnieW625
05-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Live in Los Angeles suburb of Long Beach. You could totally live with a stroller frame, and then an umbrella for a while, we did! :)

We had a Peg Pliko P3 (hand me down, not very well maintained) when DD was first born. It was nice to have a full reclining stroller and it steared like a dream, but I just didn't love it.

I bought a Maclaren Triumph when DD was 3 mos. old and that was our main stroller. DD still uses that stroller to this day and we love it for just about everything (travel, public transportation, great stroller for car, themeparks...I could go on and on). If I were to do it again I probably would've gotten the Quest (three position recline vs. the 1 position recline Triumph vs. the full recline) or the Techno XT. I'd buy another MAC in a heartbeat. The reviews of the Uppa Baby G Luxe have been less than stellar here; people don't like the fabric (do a search of the forum, and you'll find them).

We also have a Dreamer Design jogger which we haven't used much in the last 6 mos. because of a bad strap design and DD started getting uncomfortable in it.

In Jan., 2009 we bought a Uppa Baby Vista (2007 model from Craigslist) and we love that stroller. DD now rides in this for our 3 mile walks a couple of times a week. I am very happy with this stroller. It came with a basinet, has pseudo air tires, and the seat can be reversed to be forward facing. I also think that the fabric is nicer than the Bugaboo, and it's a good $250 cheaper than the Bugaboo. If you can find one in your area check it out. The newer models are also set up to take a rumble seat. We liked the stroller because it would eventually take a toddler board for DD once we have another kid. If you aren't a runner this could litterally be your only stroller.

(hope I didn't overwhealm you too much!)

GraceH
05-27-2009, 06:04 PM
As a Chicagoland Mom of an October baby, I heartily recommend the SnugRide32 -- it's heavier than the original, but being able to get through 2 Chicago winters with the option of easily taking baby inside (I leave the car seat in the car now that he's older & heavier on good weather days) was a life-saver.
I am the weirdo around here that likes my cheap stroller (Graco Mosaic - it is relatively compact umbrella-style & still takes a car seat - I live in the 'burbs though, so in & out of the trunk on errands was a big thing to me -- we have also been downtown without a problem, including trolley usage (fast, narrow fold) ), but now that the Peg Perego Si is out, it looks to be a similar choice (check to be sure it takes the SR32) with a nicer canopy and fabric -- if that had been around in '07 I may have chosen it instead (though the cost deters me from getting one now)...