PDA

View Full Version : Need Special Gift Idea

Raidra
05-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Fiona's first birthday is coming up. My grandmother knit her a sweater that will fit in the fall and also gave her $20 in a card. Normally I'd either save the money for her or buy her an outfit or something, but my grandmother is very ill and it's likely that she'll pass soon. I know $20 isn't much, but I'd like to try to find something that I could get for Fiona that would be sort of like a keepsake, something that she could have and remember as her special first birthday present from Grammy. The sweater is so sweet and I'll definitely keep it, but I'm thinking of something that Fiona could keep in her room, in sight, you know?

I don't know.. I'm not sure what I'm looking for at all, I just don't want to get her some cheap toy or clothes she'll outgrow in a few months.

Any suggestions?

ljackson
05-24-2009, 09:39 PM
A few ideas:

- a picture frame for her room that you could put a family photo in and talk to her about as she gets older

- a growth chart (Eeboo makes some cute ones for less than $20)

- a piggy bank/money box

I think it's a lovely idea to get something that she can keep for a long time - I hope you find something that you like.

DietCokeLover
05-25-2009, 08:48 AM
-- a picture frame with a picture of grammy in it

-- a locket with hers and grammy's pictures in it

-- a charm for a future charm bracelet. Something meaningful about grammy

hollybloom24
05-25-2009, 10:10 AM
What a nice idea!

I like the idea of a charm for a bracelet that a PP mentioned. Other thoughts: ceramic birthday candle holders, a special keepsake cup, a ceramic keepsake box, a Willow Tree (or other) figurine...

I am sorry your grandmother is ill. This is a nice way of keeping her spirit alive.

kedss
05-25-2009, 10:34 AM
yup, I like the locket/charm bracelet idea, something you could show your grandmother, if possible?

lizajane
05-25-2009, 10:52 AM
agree with photo frame- i would engrave it and put a photo of them together in it.

WatchingThemGrow
05-25-2009, 12:43 PM
My step-mother had a picture frame engraved with "Grandmother and Me" (for ME) when my grandmother passed away. She included a professional photo my grandmother had made of us together when I was 3 or 4. It really is totally sweet, and it is the only picture of me you can find displayed in my house.

I was thinking a small silver bracelet, but I like the charm idea better, I think.

JTsMom
05-25-2009, 01:51 PM
How about a music box?

kcimato
05-25-2009, 01:54 PM
How about one of these books from
www.iseeme.com

My very own fairy tale is very cute. In the front there is a page for a dedication from the person getting it.