PDA

View Full Version : The Gem & Jewelry Show Sucked

Fairy
05-24-2009, 11:11 PM
I've been off board -- all boards -- for days in heads-down work on a new venture. Ok, so I've also had a raging sinus infection,w hich means that my intention to go to the Gem & Jewlery show here in Chicago did not happen Friday or Saturday as intended. So, I went today, as it was my only opportunity, and I felt that if I didn't go, I was squandering an important opportunity. For this, I missed my little boy mini golfing for the first time at a friend's bday party, missing my friends, missing family time. But, I'm trying to do something that could mean good things for our family int he future. So, fine, I went.

And it sucked. Deals? Where? I coudl get almost the same prices online at at least two bead houses. And it was the same stuff over and over and over. The same new jade, the same fake turquoise, the same amethyst, the same glass pendants, over and over and over. Some of it was perfectly nice, but every single vendor had the SAME STUFF! Some were cheaper than others, sure, but I got very little value out of any of it. I did learn a new technique, so that was a win. But I could have figured it out on my own, too. I also picked up some stuff in the Wholesale Area, which I inadvertently wandered into unchecked. I wasn't authorized to be there and had no idea till I left.

But I'm telling you, I didn't save a bit of money here, and I only found one thing I really needed (granted, it was a biggie). $13 in parking, $6.50 for a (crappy) hot dog and water, annoying people who dont' listen to instruction and are told not to let their children handle the stones yet ignore it, three or four really REALLY stinky folk, walking EASILY a mile round trip to the parking deck, and missing my little boy doing glow in the dark mini golf. UNFUN.

High point was that I did, however, meet Loretta swit, who was lovely. She gave me acting advice, which was actually very helpful.

The gem show's coming back in August. Note to self: Stay home!

Wife_and_mommy
05-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Sorry you missed your DS playing golf. :(

Is it completely ignorant to tell you to wait for a Micheal's or JoAnn's coupon and go there for stones? Probably but the effort you put forth didn't seem worth it.

Here's to a better choice next time.:wink2:

MontrealMum
05-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Sorry you had such a horrible time :(

High point was that I did, however, meet Loretta swit, who was lovely. She gave me acting advice, which was actually very helpful.

this part is really cool!