PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE Our backyard bunnies were born yesterday!

kayte
05-25-2009, 11:34 AM
You might remember I posted pictures of a nest that appeared in our yard overnight last week.

The bunnies were born yesterday (as the mama covered the entrance to the nest). It seems that two babies were either stillborn or didn't make it through the night. The mama had put them outside the nest by this morning. (difficult to explain to DD, but she did like seeing the tiny bunny in real life instead of the books we got from the library so I guess there was a plus).

But we are hopeful there are still more inside since she covered the entrance again this morning (which apparently she does when gathering food for herself). And they usually have a minimum of 5 babies (topping out at 12!!!)

We are learning a lots about Eastern Cottontails thanks to books from the library and DD wants to be in the backyard ALL DAY just to catch a glimpse of the mama.

We are glad we know the birth date so we know when to expect them to start traveling from the nest to forage close by... we'll be able to provide them some lettuce and things. (I also planted lots more lettuce seeds not too far away--they should be up by the time the little ones are at the stage of foraging around in 3-4 weeks).

Snow mom
05-25-2009, 03:09 PM
I love how zen you are about the bunnies eating your garden. The momma bunny clearly made a wise choice about where to build her nest. DH (who is a wildlife biologist) tells me that cotton tails are weaned and independent at about 2 weeks. He recently got called out to rescue a baby bunny that was hopping around in the road. I saw pictures and man was it cute. It will be fun to have a posse of baby bunnies in your yard.

dcmom2b3
05-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Oh, man! What fun for your DD. Please post pics, if you manage to snap any.

shawnandangel
05-25-2009, 03:42 PM
That is so great. I cannot wait to hear more about your new little wildlife family.

kayte
05-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Lisa-

Thanks for the info on the weaning period. Does you DH know if it it is the same for all cottontails? I just ask because our Eastern Cottontail books says "Time to weaning 22 to 28 days" and "Time to independence 4 to 5 weeks". I just want to be prepared--- They may have to eat the lettuce for our main garden bed.... Honestly I think the Mama chose the bed under DD's window because besides the sunflowers and moonflowers we over-seeded the bed with a package Texas Wildflower seeds DD got as a birthday party favor. According to our book they prefer wildflowers and clover to anything else in the summer. But will eat just about anything in the garden.

I have some gardening friends who are applauded that we are so open and excited about the nest. One even remarked that I better destroy it before she has any bunnies in it. YIKES.

Honestly we garden because DD loves it and I love that we can do it together. She is just as okay with the veggies going to a bunny family as she is with us picking them.

The only think I don't want them to eat is my pumpkins --only because we had some issues last year and never had one grown past an inch or two big. I did read that can spray them with a little pepper juice and it should deter them a little. Other than that we do have lots of onions and marigolds planted around them.

Now who I am having BIG issues with right now are the birds---who we keep very well feed on the other side of the house--with seed, peanuts and suet. Yesterday they picked our blueberry bushes clean!!! The only reason I didn't pick them myself yesterday was that I wanted DD to do it and I wanted a picture... (it's the first year we have berries).

citymama
05-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Congrats to mama bunny! How exciting for your DD - mine would be beside herself. ITA that this bunny picked the right place to have her babies - hope the others are doing OK! Please post pics!

Snow mom
05-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Apparently the best source on TX mammals are books by David Schmidly. DH also mentioned that TX A&M has a lot of information online, which I remember you saying you looked at. What he just told me is they begin to wean at 12 days and become independent between 15-20 days. I'm attaching a picture of the cottontail baby that he was called out to rescue. It was tiny but out on its own. I wouldn't recommend anyone pick up a wild animal like this. DH is a "trained professional" bunny wrangler :tongue5:

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt233/lisasnow/bunny.jpg

lizajane
05-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Lisa-

Thanks for the info on the weaning period. Does you DH know if it it is the same for all cottontails? I just ask because our Eastern Cottontail books says "Time to weaning 22 to 28 days" and "Time to independence 4 to 5 weeks". I just want to be prepared--- They may have to eat the lettuce for our main garden bed.... Honestly I think the Mama chose the bed under DD's window because besides the sunflowers and moonflowers we over-seeded the bed with a package Texas Wildflower seeds DD got as a birthday party favor. According to our book they prefer wildflowers and clover to anything else in the summer. But will eat just about anything in the garden.

I have some gardening friends who are applauded that we are so open and excited about the nest. One even remarked that I better destroy it before she has any bunnies in it. YIKES.

Honestly we garden because DD loves it and I love that we can do it together. She is just as okay with the veggies going to a bunny family as she is with us picking them.

The only think I don't want them to eat is my pumpkins --only because we had some issues last year and never had one grown past an inch or two big. I did read that can spray them with a little pepper juice and it should deter them a little. Other than that we do have lots of onions and marigolds planted around them.

Now who I am having BIG issues with right now are the birds---who we keep very well feed on the other side of the house--with seed, peanuts and suet. Yesterday they picked our blueberry bushes clean!!! The only reason I didn't pick them myself yesterday was that I wanted DD to do it and I wanted a picture... (it's the first year we have berries).

would a floating row cover help with the birds and the blueberries? i have never been able to grow strawberries because someone comes along and eats them before i can get them ready to pick! so annoying!

our bunnies LOVE to eat our clover. they come into the front yard every night to eat the clover. i fenced them out of the garden because they wouldn't let me grow beans. they would just bite the whole seedling into a little green stick!

kayte
05-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Lisa-

Thanks to your and your DH for the info. What a great picture. He must be really fast--not that I would ever try to catch a wild animal-- but bunnies are wicked fast.

Liza-

I am going to head back to the feed shop and pick up some bird nets---of course it won't help that most of this year's berries are gone. sigh.... I have had luck growing strawberries inside in a strawberry pot in a sunny window (before we had a yard). I had 10 or 12 plants in a pretty small pot. You could give that a try.