PDA

View Full Version : moby wrap or mei tai for 6 week old?

barbara
05-25-2009, 01:06 PM
just wondering if anyone has tried these and had advice on how to choose between the two. would like something to wear baby around house and for walks outside. want something comfortable and easy to use and very safe. if you think i should go with a mei tai, do you know which ones are considered the best ones out there? thanks!!!

firsttimemama
05-25-2009, 01:35 PM
At 6 wks, I would think a wrap. My friend has a 6 wk old, came over last week & tried my babyhawk mei tai - her babe did not love it. And she has a big 6 wk old. If yours is on the smaller side, I'd think definitely wrap.

For my next babe, I plan to have on hand:
pouch sling + wrap - for the newborn phase
then move to the mei tai (around.. 2-3 mo? can't remember when I did this with DS)
Then once babe is big/heavier (def by 20 lbs) move to Ergo.

I got my mei tai used - $20, ergo used - $50 (these were good deals, I would consider $40-$60 a good deal on MT and $70-$80 a fair deal on ergo)

I've seen wraps on craigslist recently too. I've heard good things about sleepy wrap and about moby wrap. I have a friend who is looking into a bali baby breeze gauze wrap cause she is due in June (heat, etc)

You could potentially do ergo with an infant insert (?) I've never used it with the insert - maybe someone here can offer advice on that

The only mei tai brand I'm really familiar with is babyhawk and I like it

For buckle carriers I like ergo, beco, and I've also heard good things about angelpak
ETA: if you're nursing and want to nurse in the carrier, look for beco 4th generation NOT beco butterfly (from what my friends say - I don't own beco)

kcandz
05-25-2009, 01:35 PM
I recommend going to a store that sells both and trying them with your baby. Some babies love the nestled feeling of the moby, but some like being vertical.

krocodile
05-25-2009, 05:51 PM
I think a mei tai...I didn't get my moby until around 6 weeks and it almost seemed too late, she liked the mei tai better. Plus I think the moby would be very warm in the summer for walks, I would almost think a different kind of woven wrap would be better if you really want to go for a wrap.

I like my babyhawk... We also just got a pikkolo which is structured like a mei tai but with buckles and I'm loving it!

neeleymartin
05-25-2009, 07:23 PM
i just bought a baby k'tan. INCREDIBLE!!! my guy is same age as yours. same concept as the moby, but much easier to wear and put on. we borrowed a moby for several weeks, and tried to love it, i really wanted to love it. i hated it. we also have a beco, i think i will like it when he is older. not a huge fan right now.

http://www.babyktan.com/

check it out.

fwiw, according to their size chart i should have ordered a medium. i have a small chest and went down a size, it fits perfectly.

hellokitty
05-25-2009, 08:26 PM
At that age, I still love the moby. I don't usually switch over to a MT until the baby has a little bit more head control.

lefarrell
05-26-2009, 08:17 AM
I used both a woven wrap and an Eden Mei Tai at that young age. The MT wasn't as hot, was easier and much more convenient. I didn't like dealing with the long straps though, so I eventually got a Connecta, which is essentially worn like a MT, but with buckles, so it is much faster and easier to put on. My solarweave Connecta was nice and lite weight, folded up tiny and was my absolute favorite carrier until about 10 months. I don't have the padded waist belt, and was nervous with setting up backcarries by myself, so I got a Beco Butterfly II around 10 months, which is what I use now - still mainly for front carriers, but back carries now and then. The Connecta still gets the love though around the house for short periods.

neeleymartin
05-26-2009, 01:14 PM
just fyi if you wanted to buy a moby wrap, they are 50% off at babysteals.com today. :wink2:

neeleymartin
05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
sold out!!! that was fast.