PDA

View Full Version : When do you workout?

hbridge
05-26-2009, 08:26 AM
So, it's time...

DC is over 4 and DH is essentially not around during the week (at least not on a schedule I can count on) and I'm wondering when I can actually find time to work out that doesn't involve putting DC in the jogger (we are already over the weight limit). Although I must say that a 30 minute TV show on the IPOD works wonders for me to walk/run with DC. A gym membership is not available due to location and I will NOT put DC in a childcare at a gym.

So what do all of you brilliant SAH parents do to work out with your kids in your charge?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Melaine
05-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Never. Does that help?

I like the Ipod idea. I never thought of that. Then again, I don't have an Ipod that does video. I have these ambitious ideas of finding a workout dvd that the girls would like to run around the room and sort of do with me, but that hasn't happened. I even bought an extra yoga mat hoping they would try not to lay down on mine WHILE I am using it. This week I am supposed to fill out the paperwork for the Y. I am hoping we can afford it.

SnuggleBuggles
05-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Well, I use the childcare at the gym and go in the late morning.

If that doesn't work out because of a busy day I do it at home during nap time. I think with a 4yo I would do it at home some time during the day and just set them up with a quiet activity.

Beth

elizabethkott
05-26-2009, 10:13 AM
I do it either in the morning before work (which doesn't really happen that often... getting up at 5am to go on the treadmill is not my idea of a good time) or when I get home. Usually J is still napping when I get home from work - he naps late - so I am able to get in an hour. If he's up, I pop him into the jogging stroller, or now that I tuned up my bike this weekend, I could put him in the toddler seat and go for a ride. He LOVES going on the bike, so this may be my new form of exercise!

cono0507
05-26-2009, 11:19 AM
I get up at 6am and go running or workout. DH doesn't leave the house until 7 at the earliest, so i can get away without the kids during that time. my kids didn't like the gym childcare so this was really my only option.

hbridge
05-26-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi All, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately DH leaves for work at 6:00 am and DC is up by 6:15, since I'm not a morning person, getting out before 5:30 am is not going to happen.

Yoga was my original idea, but DC thinks it's really fun to climb on Mommy or talk non-stop whenever I try.

DC hasn't napped in years and does not understand the meaning of quiet time! DH runs whenever he can in the AM, but there's no time when he gets back (since he needs to leave for work) for me to go out alone when he gets back.

I guess it's the jogging stroller at least for another year, then who knows. At the moment poor DC just doesn't fit comfortably...

DietCokeLover
05-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately, the last time I was able to exercise was before DCs were born. I keep trying and have great intentions, but it just doesn't seem to happen. It's hard because I'd like to go walk, but we don't live on a street where we can walk, so I have to pack the kids in the car and then drive to go walk. A real pain in the heiney.

elephantmeg
05-28-2009, 02:30 PM
something like wii active after DS goes to bed?

LD92599
05-30-2009, 10:43 PM
I've always used the treadmill and/or Wii Fit before everyone else is up in the AM, because I know it's my best chance. I do want to attempt to get a few neighborhood moms on board to meet in the AM's (early..., before the DH's are out the door) for long walks around town.

We've also just started biking in the evenings, as a family. We've been riding 3-5 miles each evening. Today we went out 3 different times, although only for approx 15 minutes each time, but it was better than nothing!

I do want to take a boot camp class early in the AM once i see one being offered *super close* to home, since I would have to come home and get ready for work!

Laura

tarahsolazy
06-01-2009, 11:21 PM
I get up at 4:40 four times a week to go to the gym, for classes. I also used to get up that early before kids to run outside with friends, but I don't think I could do it and get on a treadmill or elliptical at the gym. Its the group exercise aspect that works for me. I WOH and my DH is the SAHP. Several times a week he takes an hour bike ride between 6:40 and 7:40am or so, and I go into work a bit later. I HATE getting up that early, but its time I know I'll be able to have, unless I'm on call.

Melaine
06-02-2009, 07:45 AM
I've always used the treadmill and/or Wii Fit before everyone else is up in the AM, because I know it's my best chance. I do want to attempt to get a few neighborhood moms on board to meet in the AM's (early..., before the DH's are out the door) for long walks around town.

We've also just started biking in the evenings, as a family. We've been riding 3-5 miles each evening. Today we went out 3 different times, although only for approx 15 minutes each time, but it was better than nothing!

I do want to take a boot camp class early in the AM once i see one being offered *super close* to home, since I would have to come home and get ready for work!

Laura

Wow! That's awesome:thumbsup:

kerridean
06-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Why won't you put him in the gym childcare???????

hbridge
06-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Why won't you put him in the gym childcare???????

I can't imagine putting my child in childcare at the gym since I have heard some horror stories. Also, we live in the country and the closest gym with a childcare is 20 minutes away so the time commitment would be 40 minutes plus the time to work out which isn't feasible on a daily basis even if I could find a childcare situation that I would trust.

Thank you all for your insight and suggestions.

SnuggleBuggles
06-02-2009, 10:36 PM
$5 for 15 minutes is a pretty generous offer but if you are ok with it then go for it. I would personally probably pay $2. :) Of course, I only pay my mother's helper $2/ hour. I would have paid her $3 but her mom talked me down. My m.h. is 12yo.. If you find someone at the pool you should see if they can come over during the day some time too so you can get a break and/ or get a real workout in. They can stay home while you are there if that is your comfort level but they can play together outside or in another room.

I love my alone time at the gym. I usually just workout and leave unshowered but some days I take longer and sit in the steam room...heaven!! They have a video monitor at my gym so you can peek on the kids (it's really fuzzy so you can barely make out the kids which is kind of good from a "I don't want some creepy stranger checking out my kid on the monitor" worry) so if ds is doing well I can plan accordingly. I drive 15 minutes to get to the gym. The gym is close to a lot of things like the grocery store so I make the most of being over there. So, while 40 minutes of commuting might be a lot it may be more do-able. Just a thought.

Beth

hbridge
06-03-2009, 06:54 AM
So if you put your children in daycare at the gym, do you go on a daily basis? I can't imagine taking 1.5 hours out of our already busy day for me to work out.

Financially I'm not sure we could swing it even if I can find one that works for us, but maybe that's the way to go.

Again, thank you all for your sharing what works for you.

SnuggleBuggles
06-03-2009, 09:20 AM
It's part of our routine to go now but I admit that because it eats up so much time I have only been going 3X/ week with ds and then once by myself.

Beth