PDA

View Full Version : To much DHA

Zoey187
05-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Is there such a thing as to much DHA for a baby? They have all these foods that have DHA in them and with my DS begining to start solids, it seems like there should be a limit on it. He already has it in his formula and it is in his cereal as well. When I start to introduce other foods there is an option to have it in the food or not to have it in the food. I know DHA is good for his developing brian and eyes, but is there a thing as to much?

tnrnchick74
05-26-2009, 12:21 PM
I asked this to my pediatrician. He said "we don't know". They are just figuring out how much DHA a baby needs; how much DNA occurs naturally in foods; but no limits have been established. My personal opinion is that the amounts in food/formula is fine, and I'm betting that once they have done more research they will find that babies need WAY more than we are even giving them.

Zoey187
05-26-2009, 01:25 PM
So feeding him formula, cereal and then baby food all with DHA isn't to much then? We haven't started on the baby food yet but when I saw that some of them have the DHA in it, I figured I would get those instead of the food without them.

tnrnchick74
05-26-2009, 04:01 PM
I think cereal and formula is fine. Once your child starts eating food, the cereal may taper off a bit. I always made about 1/2 of DS's food, so no added DHA.