PDA

View Full Version : fisher price papasan swing motor broken?

neeleymartin
05-26-2009, 02:00 PM
we bought a papasan starlight cradle swing on craigslist for $40. what a steal. i made sure that it worked. it plugged into the wall and worked beautifully.

when we put ds in the swing it swings for about a minute and then stops. fwiw, he only weighs just over 9lbs. you can hear the gears cranking, but no movement.

i called fp and they said they could send me a replacement motor for about $30. do i really want to spend another $30? swing is a soother for ds who is soooo colicky. maybe i should.

anyone had this problem? could I take it apart and perhaps figure out what's wrong? dh is extremely mechanical. advice needed.

srhs
05-26-2009, 02:12 PM
"soooo colicky"?
I'd do it...esp. if FP will assure you that will solve the problem. Plus, you can still resell it yourself once you replace the motor. I understand not wanting to spend $70 total on a used swing, but your $40 is "sunk cost" at this point, ya know?

neeleymartin
05-26-2009, 02:14 PM
bad colic. wasn't sure how to spell it.

you're probably right about that. now, do i tell dh? my thought is that i will just order and say fp is sending it. not really a lie. they will send it. lol. he thinks that craigslist deals are always to good to be true. perhaps he's right, but i'll never admit that to him.

srhs
05-26-2009, 02:18 PM
bad colic. wasn't sure how to spell it.

Oh girl, I was not questioning your spelling! I was pointing out soooo colicky would definitely make it worth it to me!!!! Mine was "a little" colicky, and I would've bought any contraption to make life easier at 6:20 on the dot every evening!

WatchingThemGrow
05-26-2009, 02:20 PM
I think $70 is a fine deal for that swing, so yes!

Snow mom
05-26-2009, 02:21 PM
I think srhs was just trying to point out that $30 is probably worth it if the swing soothes your fussy baby. I know fp has had a lot of problems with motors burning out. I bought my swing new because of this. FWIW, I read a suggestion somewhere of swing starting it. I start it swinging before turning it on because getting the swing moving is hard on the motor. Sorry, this was a very long response to say, "yes, I would absolutely pay $30 to replace the motor."