PDA

View Full Version : Can I go cheap on an umbrella stroller for traveling?

hilladub
05-26-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm planning on buying an umbrella stroller for some upcoming trips and am wondering if it's ok to just get the cheapest one I can find. I will be wearing the baby in a sling in the airport, but we thought the stroller option would be nice to have at the destinations if he wants a change of pace on long outings.

We have a BOB for at jogging/walking and I just carry him in a sling for errands at home, so this is really just to have for when we're traveling. What recommendations do you have for budget umbrella strollers? Are there any particular features that I should look for (or stay away from)? Any upgrades that are such a necessity/headache-saver that they're worth paying extra for?

He's 7 mo & ~23 lbs if that makes a difference in your recommendation. Thanks!

codex57
05-26-2009, 02:14 PM
He's kinda heavy for long periods of time, isn't he?

You can go cheap if you carry him most of the time. Airlines aren't too gentle, even if you gate check. What's "cheap" though? A $65 Maclaren Volo too much? Can you go to around $85-100 for a Triumph or Inglesina Trip?

Otherwise, 7 months should mean they can sit up by themselves. You could try a $20 cheapy one but don't expect it to last long. Just use it as a breather from carrying him.

lorinick
05-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Do you not want any recline? He does seem to heavy to wear for a long time as pp stated. I would skip a really cheap one imo they are a waste of money. You could use a good light weight in your car since you only mentioned the BOB. I would go with the Mac Tri.

hilladub
05-26-2009, 02:40 PM
He's kinda heavy for long periods of time, isn't he?

Yeah, he's kind of a tank. :p I can carry him comfortably for a few hours at a time, but another option is nice particularly if he gets too warm up against me.

I think anything <100 would be reasonable. Is recline important? I'll look into the Triumph - what makes this one a favorite? I'm needing selling points to give my husband to explain why we're not getting the $20 off-brand one :D

WatchingThemGrow
05-26-2009, 02:44 PM
it is lightweight, pushes well, holds up to use, has a carrying strap to toss it over your shoulder, reclines enough for a nap, has a footrest, canopy tilts forward (on mine), has a 5 pt. harness, has comfy foam handles, fits kids fine as they grow, pushes well even as they get larger.

We love the Mac Universal Organizer to hold our stuff on the back - and we keep forgetting to use the Baby Trend snack tray we got to snap on the front.

Maybe you can find one on CL or ebay, but if you plan on having other children, I'd just get a new one and plan on using it a lot. We love ours.

lorinick
05-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah, he's kind of a tank. :p I can carry him comfortably for a few hours at a time, but another option is nice particularly if he gets too warm up against me.

I think anything <100 would be reasonable. Is recline important? I'll look into the Triumph - what makes this one a favorite? I'm needing selling points to give my husband to explain why we're not getting the $20 off-brand one :D

The Triumph has some what of a recline the cheap O 20.00 one doesn't and the Tri has a slight recline steers great and folds nice and can be carried with the shoulder strap and will last you guys through more than one child. Cheap O 20.00 one not going to happen also most cheap ones only have a three pt. harness the Mac's have 5pt. harness. PP was quick and we love our Mac Quest alot also.

AnnieW625
05-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Love my Mac Triumph and it does have a single recline. We started using this stroller as our only (except for jogger) when DD was 3 mos. and it worked fine for her. She actually didn't sleep much in the stroller until she was over a year old. We've used our Mac Triumph for everything including air travel and public transportation trains (in Los Angeles, and Boston) and it's great. If you want to spend less than $100 check ebay for 2007 model Triumphs which still have the tilting sun shade (newer models don't have this).

This is the 2006 Maclaren Triumph I have and for less than $100 if you can get it on this auction you are getting a great stroller (the sun shade can be washed with a little water):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Maclaren-Triumph-Stroller-Lime-Green-and-Navy-Flag_W0QQitemZ120424560273QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item1c09dcf691&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

chozen
05-26-2009, 03:01 PM
if you dont mind kicking the wheels every few feet to keep it stearing straight then i say go for the cheapy. if you want your child and yourself to enjoy the ride GET A BETTER STROLLER cant tell you how many times we wanted to take our little one out and throw that stroller!:D

WatchingThemGrow
05-26-2009, 03:04 PM
This is the 2006 Maclaren Triumph I have and for less than $100 if you can get it on this auction you are getting a great stroller (the sun shade can be washed with a little water):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Maclaren-Triumph-Stroller-Lime-Green-and-Navy-Flag_W0QQitemZ120424560273QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item1c09dcf691&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I have that one in yellow and love it. Keep thinking it would be fun to have a 2nd one :)

hilladub
05-26-2009, 03:18 PM
If you want to spend less than $100 check ebay for 2007 model Triumphs which still have the tilting sun shade (newer models don't have this).

So, cost aside, would you recommend getting an older model of the Triumph in order to get the tilting sun shade? That is, do you think the newest model is inferior? Otherwise, I'm inclined to get a new one since this is our first child (and he's fairly young) so I think we'll get a lot of use out of whatever we choose.

Thank you ALL for the great info!

chozen
05-26-2009, 03:40 PM
there prices seemed fair. i dont know any thing about the sight, never ordered from there.

WatchingThemGrow
05-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Check to see if they are an auth. seller - if you want the lifetime warranty to be honored. Something makes me think they aren't. I haven't had a parts issue with my Mac (yet), but our other stroller companies have been happy to send parts to make our strollers new again!

codex57
05-26-2009, 04:18 PM
My SIL has had problems getting Mac to send parts for her canopy. She still loves teh stroller but isn't a fan of the company.

AnnieW625
05-26-2009, 05:14 PM
I am not opposed to the newer models as I have never owned one so I don't have experience with it, but there was a discussion here a while back that the newer models (2009 I think) that didn't have the tilted sun shade (the excess material goes over the back of the handles) because of the issue with the snaps on the excess fabric (mine doesn't have them) Mac decided to get rid of the tilting sun shade. Kind of a bummer because it's a great feature.

apetto
05-26-2009, 05:59 PM
I didn't want to risk flying w/ my Maclaren so on a recent trip I borrowed a cheap umbrella stroller from a friend who no longer needed it. We pushed it right up to the gate at the airport and never worried about what would happen to it. For most of the trip we used it to put our stuff in! When traveling with kids simpler is better- in my opinion. Good Luck