PDA

View Full Version : Would I be crazy to gate check a Bob?

jgenie
05-26-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm going to be travelling alone next month w/ DS (17 months). We have a Bob and I'm wondering if I bought a travel bag for it would it make sense to gate check it? I'm assuming I would have to put it on the belt for scanning at security? Am I nuts? Should I just buy a Mac?

WatchingThemGrow
05-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Usually they just take big strollers and check them out by hand. I think Macs go through on the belt, though. Will you be doing a lot of walking on your trip? i'd let that be the deciding factor.

And..oh, if you don't have a Mac yet, well, by all means, get one. Everyone needs at least one! Triumphs are great!

Sugar Magnolia
05-26-2009, 04:05 PM
I did. It was what my kids were used to riding in and is easy to push one-handed. I had no problems at all.

mrsvt0
05-26-2009, 04:31 PM
The Bob is a big stroller... Yes, you'll have to put it on the belt for scanning at security so it's up to you if you want to drag something big and heavy. Unless where you are going you'll need air tires - going on trails or running.

I've seen Bugaboos been gate checked so it's a matter of how much risk you want to take. I travel with light and cheap strollers. When i had a car seat i used a Snap and Go and now got a cheap $30 Especially For Kids umbrella stroller at Babies R Us so in case it gets broken I don't get hit. It does the job. It's small, light, has a decent canopy with visor, little organizer hanging on the back (no basket) and the wheels are rubbery so it handles the sidewalks and some pebbled roads pretty good!

mrsvt0
05-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Usually they just take big strollers and check them out by hand. I think Macs go through on the belt, though.

Since i always had small/light strollers i had to put them through the security belt, but i guess if the stroller is too big to fit through it then a hand check makes sense.

edurnemk
05-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Since i always had small/light strollers i had to put them through the security belt, but i guess if the stroller is too big to fit through it then a hand check makes sense.

I travelled with the Graco Quattro a couple of times and in one airport it didn't fit through the security belt, so they did a hand check. But first they did try to fit it through the thing. Everytime I've travelled alone with DS, people have been very helpful, so I've never actually had to put the stroller on the belt myself. :wink2:
Now we have a Vista and I don't want it to be damaged so I don't take it on trips, we use a Mac Quest for that. So I would definetely get the travel ag for the Bob to protect it.

codex57
05-27-2009, 03:00 PM
We fly with our Zippy (don't wanna risk the Bugaboo). I've seen plenty of BOBs being gate checked. It's all a matter of how much risk you wanna take. We're usually on Southwest tho and I'm not too worried with Southwest personnel. Did survive a Hawaii trip on United.