PDA

View Full Version : Ikea KNIPSA basket - do yours smell?

MommytoEliana
05-26-2009, 03:41 PM
We bought several of the KNIPSA baskets when we were at Ikea yesterday, to go in the Expedit bookshelf we got with the sale (spent more on storage containers than on the shelves themselves!). I love the way they look, but they have a definite grassy odor right now (oh, and I just cut myself when assembling one, but that is beside the point).

If you have these, does the odor go away? It's really only noticeable when you're handling the baskets, but since these will hold lots of our toys, I don't want to regret the choice.

This is the basket in question:
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/65407_PE176604_S3.jpg

Thanks!

ETA: Also, do they stop shedding and do you find that you get cut on them? (I just scratched up my forearms. If it is just from assembly I'll deal with it, but I don't want my kids scratching themselves when they're trying to get toys out.) I really like the looks of these baskets better than the other options, but I'm starting to think the other square woven basket (with the V-type weave) might be better. I need to decide before I get everything put together.

1mom2dylan
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
I have the same question. I'm debating if I should get this basket or the other (branas?) Basket for my expedit. I am looking to buy 13 baskets that look nice enough 4 a dining room. I just got the 5X5 expedit today....so happy! Which basket is better, any other basket suggestions?

vludmilla
12-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I have these. The smell dissipates. The shedding definitely decreases. The scratchiness remains but only I have ever scratched myself. DD seems better at moving them without getting hurt.

MommytoEliana
12-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Yep, the smell and shedding are pretty much done. I still find them scratchy, but none of us have cut ourselves since I did when assembling them. :-)

1mom2dylan
12-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks, I'm glad 2 hear it. Are you happy with them or do you wish you had bought a different basket? They are expensive and I need at least 13 of them so I want to be sure it is a good investment.