PDA

View Full Version : toddler shoes w/heels??

malphy
05-26-2009, 05:43 PM
What is the deal with toddler shoes having a wedge heel? I am shocked and dismayed at this. How much younger can we start our girls on the road to insecurity, poor self image and becoming old before their time? Not to mention foor problems.

Why are we sexuallizing our girls at such young ages? The clothes were bad enough now the shoes?

Am I the only one that thinks these shoes are a bit odd for the under tween and toddler set?

Ceepa
05-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Honestly I prefer the low wedge-sneaker hybrid style to the cheap plastic play shoes for a girl who wants to dress up in heels like Mommy.

brittone2
05-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Honestly I prefer the low wedge-sneaker hybrid style to the cheap plastic play shoes for a girl who wants to dress up in heels like Mommy.

Yeah, I can see them as being more stable for dressup, but for wearing every day, all day...wedges/heels can lead to shortening of the achilles tendon, and it puts a lot of pressure on the metatarsal heads, etc. It isn't something I'd want to subject my young child to on a regular basis from a physiological standpoint.

eta: shoes have definitely changed and become more mature in recent years. I have really small feet (women's 4 or a kid sized 3 unless it is a sneaker or a boot, where I can sometimes get away with a women's size 5). I can actually on occasion find a kid shoe with a wedge or whatever that is cute for casual wear. Otherwise I'm limited to very high end European shoes that are usually out of my budget, or specialty catalogs for people w/ small feet, or old lady shoe stores ;) Years ago I could *never* find something I'd wear in a kid size 3. Now that the styles are a bit more mature, I sometimes can (although when done for kids the styling is still often "off" enough that it won't look right on me, but once in a while I get lucky and find something).

Ceepa
05-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Nope. Wouldn't put a kid in a wedge heel every day, all day. :)

Melaine
05-26-2009, 07:45 PM
I think it is really weird too. Somehow we obtained a pair of black mary janes and they have low but noticeable heels. I was shocked when I realized my two and half year olds fit them! (Granted, they have big feet but STILL).

brittone2
05-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Nope. Wouldn't put a kid in a wedge heel every day, all day. :)

I didn't mean to imply you would...just wanted to be clear :) I find a wedge more comfortable and more stable, so yeah, in some ways I think it would be easier to have a DC play dressup in that vs. a regular high heel. But at the same time, I agree w/ the OP (and you :) ) that it isn't healthy to put young developing feet in a shoe like that on a regular basis.

elizabethkott
05-26-2009, 08:25 PM
DS dresses up in my stillettos all the time.
:D

brittone2
05-26-2009, 08:28 PM
DS dresses up in my stillettos all the time.
:D

My kids love to put on my knee-high boots for some reason. One pair is flat, the other has a 3 inch heel. They are thigh high on my kids. They look ridiculous but it totally cracks me up ;)

Corie
05-26-2009, 09:50 PM
My 7 yr. old daughter always picks out the shoes with the tallest heels.

We were walking through Macy's shoe dept. and she picks up a pair of
red super-high heels. She asked me if these shoes come in her size.

FWIW, I don't wear heels. I wear New Balance running shoes everyday.