PDA

View Full Version : New Mom Needs Stroller Advice!

lisamarie323
05-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi! I'm expecting my 1st child end of August, and I swear the stroller decision has been the most difficult thing to figure out & I really need some help! Here's our situation - my husband & I live in MN so we have to deal with the cold & snow in the winter but during the spring/summer/fall we are outdoors a lot going for nature walks at the cabin, around our suburban neighborhood, etc. We both have SUVs, so car space isn't a huge issue. I'm not overly concerned about weight of the stroller, either. My husband & I are both on the taller side - I'm 5'8", my husband 6'2", so something that accommodates long legs is necessary. Not overly concerned with budget, but also don't want to spend unnecessary dollars either. Most likely going with the Teutonia T-32 infant seat. (I know it's basically the same as Snugride but more $$, however we like the more sophisticated look of Teutonia)

We are leaning towards the BOB revolution given the all-terrain nature of it, plus my husband likes the 3-wheeled frame (he thinks it looks more "masculine & rugged", and whatever gets him to push the darn thing works for me!) I think we would be very happy with this choice, but do we want/would we need more than just the BOB?

I was also thinking about getting a simple Snap & Go that I can just keep in my car or something for quick trips into the mall or running errands w/out having to lug around a larger stroller. Thoughts?

Here's my problem - I like the BOB, but I really like the strollers that feature a bassinet - I'm not so sure I like the idea of our little guy only being in his car seat when we use the stroller for the 1st several months. I also like strollers that feature the rotating seat so that our little guy can be facing me or out facing the rest of the world. Neither option is featured on the BOB. So, do we get another stroller in addition to the BOB? I love, love, love the look of the Teutonia T-200 (3 wheeled version) but it's expensive and I just don't know if we need both the BOB and another stroller that can be used w/the bassinet feature, etc. I've also heard great things about Uppa Baby, but I like the look of the T-200 better. I'd be open to Bugaboo, but I haven't been too impressed w/my in store test runs to date.

I'm guessing I really don't need 3 strollers right away, so any help/clarity you can provide would be appreciated!

arivecchi
05-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Have you looked at the Baby Jogger City Classic or the Baby Jogger City Elite? Baby Joggers are the best for tall children. They have really tall seats and the seats can stay really straight or super reclined (for newborns). They now sell a really cute soft bassinet for them. They are great strollers and you can find them for a really good price if you get the 08 version. They also have an adjustable handlebar for tall parents, HUGE canopies and one-step fold.

I would also look at the Valco Trimode. They are very rugged-looking and masculine. Your DH may like that.

For either the Valco or the BJ, I would also get a footmuff and a weathershield, which you will need in MN.

For quick trips, I would get a Maclaren, which your DC will be able to use for 4-5 years. You cannot use some of them for newborns, but a baby carrier (like the Ergo) may do the trick those first couple of months. IMO, that would be a better investment than a snap n go.

zag95
05-27-2009, 11:18 AM
I am 5'11" and my DH is 6'1"- I found the BOB to be too low on the handlebar height, plus my DD looked like her head would hit the top of the BOB canopy too soon.

We bought a BJ City Classic single- which we love!!!! Awesome canopy, adjustable handlebar height, pushes like a dream, easy to fold! It does have some accessories that you can get- a bassinet, a bar for snapping in a car seat, etc.

Here are some things to think about- the bassinet probably won't be used much- until your DC starts to sit up- which may be Dec or Jan- so if you are using the Teutonia car seat and a snap n go, then it might not be necessary to get the bassinet- maybe you could get a boot or a bundle me instead and put the baby in the stroller? It depends on how often you anticipate being outside in the colder weather-

Also we had a snap n go (free from a friend) with our graco car seat, and also registered for a MacLaren Quest, which we love! But we wanted a more AT type stroller for walks in the 'hood, beach trips, etc.

You could get the snap n go type thing and then wait on the stroller if you still need time. Sometimes it is easier to see what you need once you have the baby a while!

GL!

codex57
05-27-2009, 03:04 PM
We have a Bugaboo with a bassinet. We used it indoors, but I think only twice outdoors.

The whole point of a carseat (especially a Graco/Teutonia) is that they fit on strollers. Don't have to take kiddo out of the car seat and wake them up. I really don't find bassinets on strollers to be that much use.

Like anything, just use moderation. Don't leave kiddo asleep in the seat all day and all night, but a few hours total in a day isn't gonna do any permanent harm. THey'll be out of that infant seat (and bassinet) in the blink of an eye.

lorinick
05-27-2009, 03:31 PM
I would check out the Uppa Baby great stroller fits your needs. I wouldn't be as concerned with the look of the infant seat. The bassinet is great but as pp said you won't use it long at all. And stroller weight is a huge issue once baby is here. So I would pay attention to that. Good luck it is a hard choice.

GraceH
05-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't count on using an AT stroller (such as the BOB) as a car errand stroller...
We went with the Graco Mosaic stroller b/c it was only slightly more than the car seat frame and then we had the stroller option available if DS was awake - it's a glorified umbrella stroller that reclines, takes a car seat, fits between clothing racks at Kohls, has a parent cupholder, and doesn't tip with stuff on the handles (well, it does after 7 shopping bags...) - it mostly lives in our car - we've even taken it camping - we've had very few complaints after 19 months of (ab)use, although we're 5'6" and 5'11" - it goes for about $100
PegPerego looks to have a similar option with some nicer features in their new Si stroller, but I haven't gotten out to try our SR32 with the car seat straps yet... it retails for about $250.

123LuckyMom
05-27-2009, 09:24 PM
I sympathize with your agonizing over this decision! I did myself, and you can find my posts from months ago, but now I have advice to offer from a whole 7 months of experience! ;-D

We ended up buying the Uppababy Vista, and I'm thrilled with it. The folks who tell you that you won't use the bassinet are right. We hardly used it, though we really intended to. Still, we did use it indoors at my mother's sprawling house as a moving bed that could follow us from room to room.

Because our guy was a winter baby, we needed to leave him in his fleece covered car seat for most trips (the Kiddopotomus Posh Pouch was a lifesaver for us), though we swore up and down before he was born that we wouldn't leave him in the carseat when we could use the bassinet. The Uppababy has the Graco Snugride attachment, which is fantastic. I highly recommend that you eschew good looks and get a carseat you can use with your stroller, especially since your little one will still be little when winter strikes.

The very best thing about the Uppababy Vista, in my humble opinion, is the HUGE basket. I don't even use a cart at the grocery store. Everything fits in that basket! We've used our stroller in the slush and snow, on cobblestones and brick, for walks on paved trails and for walks on grass and dirt trails. It's great! Its only flaw is that it has a somewhat tricky fold that takes me a couple of tries each time (an all of five seconds delay), but if you're not using public transportation, I don't think you'll find that to be a deal breaker. The 2009 Vistas also have the ability to add a second seat and become a double stroller should you have another baby. (Can you tell I like my Vista?) Also, I think I remember that we ruled out the BOB because we couldn't use it with a newborn. I think it did not recline enough.

arivecchi
05-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Just curious, how long can one use a Bug or Vista? Can you use them with tall toddlers or 4-5 year olds who still like to ride? I chose the BJ because the seats are so tall that I know I won't need another stroller for my very tall toddler.

ellies mom
05-27-2009, 11:14 PM
We have the Valco Trimode. I think it looks more comfortable than the BOB and it does have the bassinet option. We bought it when the oldest was two, so we didn't buy the bassinet feature. I wish we had for the youngest though. We do have the footmuff and let me tell you that thing is warm. We also have the zip-in UV screen. I like it so much I never take it off. I don't have a lot of snow but the times I've taken it out in the snow it has been great. It handles like a dream. And with all the pockets, it holds quite a bit. We take it for quick trips to the grocery store all the time.

It doesn't fold as quickly or as small as a Zippy for example but none of the good AT strollers do that either. Plus you could always get a Mac Quest or Triumph later on to store in the car if you get tired of the bulkiness of an AT.

WatchingThemGrow
05-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Just curious, how long can one use a Bug or Vista? Can you use them with tall toddlers or 4-5 year olds who still like to ride? I chose the BJ because the seats are so tall that I know I won't need another stroller for my very tall toddler.

I felt like our DD was outgrowing the Bug a few months ago when her head was hitting the folded canopy, but she's not our first or second rider if we only have the single out - she's the one who'll be standing. She fits FINE in the BJCED though ( and will for a loooong time!)

edurnemk
05-27-2009, 11:29 PM

I don't think so, DS is 16 months old and he's not particularly tall and I really don't think he'll fit in the Vista for more than a year or so (he has only a couple of inches between his head and the canopy), unless we take the canopy off, but I really don't like the idea of him not having coverage from the sun. By then we plan on having another baby, though, so I hope he'll be riding on the toddler board or rumble seat more.
I think maybe the Cameleon has a taller seat.

edurnemk
05-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Most likely going with the Teutonia T-32 infant seat. (I know it's basically the same as Snugride but more $$, however we like the more sophisticated look of Teutonia)

I'm pretty sure the mechanism is the same as the Snug Rider 32, so all strollers that take Graco seats should be compatible with the Teutonia, which means most strollers.

AnnieW625
05-28-2009, 03:03 AM
Elisa is 3 yrs old, and 38" tall/32lbs and yes her head is close to the top of the canopy on the Vista, but it doesn't seem to bother her at all. In fact she has slept in the thing a couple of times recently on our walks and I've even reclined the seat so she could sleep and she slept for a good half hour with no issue. The Vista is a great buy! Next time she is in I'll have to remember to take a photo of her in it and post it here.

marge234
05-28-2009, 07:30 PM
I had similar agony, did a lot of research and, because I want something to use outside more than car/mall/errands, decided the Mountain Buggy was a good fit. You can get a bassinet for it. Baby's due in June and I'm on leave for a while so I am hoping to walk a lot on all the paths in our area. I liked it better than the BOB, which my sister has, and try to avoid stuff made in China (MB is made in New Zealand). We got a 2007 model for less than $300 and went for the bassinet as well. The one concern I have is that the seat only faces outward. But we find ourselves wanting a lighter stroller to have in the trunk or take on the train, we'll get one that reverses. GOOD LUCK!

ebjw
05-28-2009, 08:05 PM
I did so much research and am thrilled to have ended up with the Vista. We used the bassinet and car seat adapter (for the KeyFit 30- snaps right in- I didn't like the strollers that the car seat would just sit on top of and you had to strap it in) exclusively for the first 4 months. Now we use the seat, and it's great to have in rear facing so we can see her. The basket is phenomenal- I always get comments at the grocery store about how much I've managed to fit in there! I love that we can keep just the car seat adapter and the seat in the trunk with the stroller frame and decide witch one to use at each destination- like keep her in the car seat if she's sleeping... I wouldn't trade it for anything! (although I am getting a Maclaren Triumph for times when space/convenience is at a premium).

annavn
06-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Yes, the stroller question was the hardest one of all. My baby is now 2 months and here is what I can say. We went with the Peg Perego Pliko switch and are very happy with the decision. I was never for using the car seat as a stroller, I have read it's not good for the baby, and quite honestly it's easier for me to just have a stroller in the car and move the baby into it for walks etc. The pliko switch does allow you to put the car seat directly on the base which is great for quick grocery run. It reclines fully therefore our newborn has been very comfortable sleeping in the stroller. It's a reversible seat so she can see us at all times. We do have an ergo baby but haven't tried it yet.
Good luck with the decision.

fozzie
06-03-2009, 12:36 PM
I'll just chime in to say that you can't underestimate the usefulness of a reversible seat. We had DD rear-facing until she was well over 2 years old and loved it. Studies show that kiddos who face parents in their strollers are more reassured and have better verbal skills from a younger age. It's so nice to be able to interact with baby when you're pushing the stroller! I'm due with my second baby any day now and have settled on two strollers: one main stroller for long walks which has air filled tires and is reversible (the Emmaljunga Nitro City) and an umbrella stroller which has a reclinable seat for use from birth and can also accept the car seat. For this we chose the Cybex Topaz. Neither model is available in the US I don't think, but the idea is to have your all around stroller and your travel/car stroller. With just 2 strollers you cover all the territory. If you can be persuaded to get a different brand of car seat that works with an umbrella stroller, then all you have left to do is select your main stroller—hopefully one that has a reversible seat!

One last thought: if you want to spend the big bucks, you can kill all the birds with one stone with the Orbit Baby system.....

littlebethany
06-12-2009, 04:50 PM
I still use the Vista with my 3 year old boy who is a little larger then most boys his age. I think 4-5 years should be fine.

MamaBear
06-12-2009, 08:58 PM
We have a Cameleon as our one-and-only (although now we're looking for another stroller since we're expecting #2). Our son is now 2.5 years and is very tall (I am regularly asked if he is 4 years), so is starting to get a bit tall for the Cameleon, but otherwise it is a fantastic stroller. We've lived in two countries and have used the stroller in deep snow, heavy rains, etc. With snow tires (newly available then), I was able to get out in a heavy snow without trouble. I like the reversible seat, and also especially the reversible handlebar - great for when we're walking into the wind, for instance. And lately our son has wanted to rear-face mid-way through a walk, so it is nice being able to do that without getting him out of the stroller and moving the seat itself.

And I have to say I *love* the bassinet! We used it for 3 months, and I wish we'd used it longer. We did buy a carseat adapter for quick errands, but otherwise we used the bassinet for walks/shopping/travel/etc., and it was also his bed at home until we moved him to his crib at 3 months. Finding a double stroller with a bassinet is one of my main concerns right now, as we don't need a true double. I have just fallen head-over-heels with an Emmaljunga pram, because I really love having a carrycot for a newborn/infant.

piefuchs
06-13-2009, 01:26 PM
If you plan on doing a substantial amount of walking with the baby then get a flat lay or a bassinet. We ended up taking a hand me down stroller that had a flat lay and then buying what we wanted later. On my maternity leave I walked 2 hours a day on bumping sidewalks and a newborn should not be in a car seat for a bumpy ride for that long. Our car seat stroller was for the occasional trip to the mall not my daily hikes. If you love to walk and think you will feel cooped up on your mat leave then get a decent stroller for the 1st 3 months - it was the only time the stroller was used daily for me.