PDA

View Full Version : My 15 th mold old mostly survive's from milk

TraciG
05-27-2009, 01:15 PM
he barely eat's meat, usually will spit it out, he mostly drink's milk eat's fruit & vegetables, should I be concerned ? He probbaly has 32 oz of milk a day !

newg
05-27-2009, 03:09 PM
I was told by my ped. no more than 20-25oz a day or it will interfere with the absorption of some vitamins and mineral (iron? I think).....I would call your ped. and see how much they recommend...
What about water? Or watered down juice?
DD eats meat...but I mostly give her tofu and make things with cheese in it....beans....to get the protein in her.....and tons of veggies and any fruit I can push at her....
So I wouldn't worry too much about the meat.....but check on the amount of milk that is safe!

SnuggleBuggles
05-27-2009, 03:15 PM
That is way too much milk. It can lead to anemia and other health issues. You want to aim for 16-20oz..
http://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032100.asp

What kind of milk is it, btw? Whole? Skim?...

Like pp said, look for other things to try like eggs, tofu, beans and other dairy products for protein.

Beth

JBaxter
05-27-2009, 04:10 PM
I will agree thats WAY to much milk. 20-24 oz a day is what I have always been told. Fruits & veggies are not and issue here mine never liked meat till they were closer to 2yr old. There are other ways to get protein. Does he like eggs?
FYI I would not do juice yet either. I would stick with milk and water. Oh is he off the bottle? It much easier to suck down 8oz of milk in a bottle then in a sippy cup.
Like the pp said it to much milk interferes with iron absorbtion.

mikeys_mom
05-27-2009, 04:17 PM
nak

Yes, that is way too much milk. This is a subject that a close friend of mine has made me very passionate about. Her DD got extremely sick from too much milk. I don't want to freak you out, but her DD was probably drinking close to the amount you mentioned, maybe more. She became anemic and had all sorts of internal digestive problems as a result. At the hospital, the nurses told my friend that typically when they see iron levels that low the will transfuse. Good news is that once they completely eliminated milk from her diet, she became interested in a variety of foods. They has to really make sure she got enough iron for a while, but within 3 months her levels were back to normal and she is now fully recovered.

Her DD never showed any signs of illness but on a routine well baby check up, the ped was concerned because her colouring was off.

Again, please don't panic but my friend has told all of us to spread the word about too much milk as it is something that many people have never heard of. She just thought "what could be wrong with milk?" In the hospital she was told that they see at least 1 child a day with this exact problem.

ahrimie
05-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Yes, like the above have said... too much. Try a sippy/straw cup instead of a bottle (if you aren't already). Also, I've noticed that my DD eats meat when it's hidden in a sauce or something else with moisture. I mix it with veggies and tomato sauce (either canned tomatoes with very little salt or a good pasta sauce with no salt and not too many 'extras') and toss with little pasta. I've also made lasagna at home and added in ground chicken/turkey. Soup is usually a hit with us and I'll put in some meat with each bite, along with some rice.

TraciG
05-28-2009, 10:02 AM
thanks everyone. He drink's whole milk from a bottle, he love's his bottle. I am sure I made a mistake by getting him used to drinking a bottle at nap time.

Wake up time, ridiculosuly early this week, 5 - 5:30 - 6 oz bottle

breakfast 4 oz bottle

nap - 4 oz

lunch 4 0z

4:00 6 oz

dinner, 4 oz

bed time 4 oz

daisymommy
05-28-2009, 10:28 AM
To to start watering down the milk until he gets used to just plain water. Then start giving water when he wants something to drink.

I would also try at this age to transition to a sippy cup with a soft spout (like a Nuby or Avent).

Tondi G
05-28-2009, 11:38 AM
It's the bottle... my 2nd DS loved his milk bottles too. I let him keep it too long feeling bad that it was a comfort thing and my older DS nursed till he was 2 and had that for comfort. I should have stood my ground when I took it away at 15 months... but he got sick and was begging for his ba-ba! Sucker mommy! :) LOL

So yeah... I would start trying to make a transition to a sippy as soon as you can manage it. Maybe give him his morning bottle, maybe nap and bedtime and then move everything else to a sippy cup. if he won't take milk in the sippy then offer him water.... especially at meal time. He doesn't need to drink milk with his meals... it'll just fill him up and he won't eat.

If his weight is good and he is eating cheese and yogurt you can give him 2% milk too... if you want to. My ped told us both boys were fine to go right on to 2% milk at a year since their diet was varied and they were both a good healthy weight!

Good Luck making the transition... it's not always easy but it will be helpful to do it sooner than later.... they get really attached and learn how to have some serious fits for their bottle the older they get! :)

mikeys_mom
05-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Yes, for sure eliminate the bottle and I would also not give a sippy cup as often as you have been giving the bottle. Even if he refuses to drink milk from a sippy cup, as long as he eats other dairy products, there is no need for milk.

When my friend had the problem with her DD, in their case they had to completely eliminate milk right away, cold turkey. She was really worried that her DD would get very upset, but she said that after a day it wasn't that bad and she did not ask for it very often. Also, she really feels that it was a vicious circle with the milk and her DD being a fussy eater. Initially, she didn't eat much, so they kept giving milk because DD would drink it and her mother felt that at least she was getting nutrition from the milk. After a while the milk was filling her up, so she was never hungry for food, thus they believed she was very picky. Once she wasn't filling up on milk and was actually hungry, she started to eat all sorts of foods.

Also, you shouldn't replace the milk with juice because it will lead to the same problem. I would only offer water to drink.

Good luck!

kijip
05-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I would either stop with the bottles or just reduce the amount in each bottle. And if he needs it to nap, drop it at mealtimes and offer water instead. Also offer milk after food and not milk before food. If left to his own devices, T would have drank all his calories from milk but we just limited him to small cups at certain times of day.

If you decide to drop the bottle, I really recommend just going to a cup and not a sippy.

TraciG
05-29-2009, 06:43 AM
He does drink water from a sippy cup at meal times, when he's done eating or almost done then he has his bottle, sometimes he'll eat more after his bottle.

After I move ( this weekend ) & we're all settled I will start to only give bottles in the morning, nap bedtime, good idea.

thanks

JBaxter
05-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Try not offering a bottle or cup until after his meal. Lots of kids fill up on milk during a meal. You may get him to eat more that way.

egoldber
05-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Rather than go through hassle of bottle weaning right now on top of a move, I would just cut the amount offered at each meal/bottle in half.

bnme
05-29-2009, 10:04 AM
My younger DS was a bottle lover and I did not wean him from until he was 2 and biting off the nipples (choking hazard!).

But I had the same issue that around 1 year he was drinking a lot of milk - probably same as yours. My ped insisted I take the bottle and was a bit harsh about how I may be harming him. I knew we were not at a time or place to give up the bottle. I just started giving him less in each bottle and tried to be very aware of giving him something to eat prior to the bottle. This helped since he was not always full from the milk.

To this day I have to watch his milk consumption because he loves it and it does effect his appetite.