PDA

View Full Version : My Review of the Mac Twin Techno

mmsmom
05-28-2009, 03:22 PM
I recently purchased a Mac Twin Techno so wanted to share my experience...

DS is 2.5 and about 26 lbs. DD is 3 months. I was deciding between the Twin Triumph, Twin Techno and BJCMD. First the reason I chose the Techno over the Triumph... I looked at both in person and decided that I needed the extra plushness and recline of the Techno for my 3 month old. I also called Maclaren to get the dimensions of both strollers: open the Techno is 3/4" wider than the Triumph; the Triumph is 1" taller than the Techno . Folded the Techno is 4" wider and 3" deeper than the Triumph. The Techno is 3.5 pounds heavier. Although I would have liked a lighter stroller & more compact fold I decided that the size difference really was not that much. I also liked the larger canopy and viewing window on the Techno and the larger wheels (6" vs. 4" on the Triumph)

I am still agonizing if I made the right decision on the Techno vs. BJCMD. I put DS in the BJ and even though he is small weight-wise he just did not seem to have that much room it in. For some reason the fabric covering the bottom of the stroller also bothered me... I could just see it getting dirty w/ muddy shoes, food, etc. and having to wash it a lot. I loved the ease of fold but felt I needed a more compact fold for air travel. Also the store clerk told me the stroller did not lock when folded though I think the 09 might? Having to bungee the stroller to keep it closed for travel would have been a pain. In the end I decided the higher weight limit and more compact fold of the Mac was important, but I don't think you can go wrong the BJ. The BJ & Mac are about the same price but I got the Mac on sale at Albeebaby for $330.

I have taken the Techno out several times now... mall, fair, park, walks. It seems to be very sturdy. My DS is in and out frequently and I have never felt it is tippy with just DD in it. I have also pushed it with just DS in it and it was sturdy then as well. The fold is a couple steps but easy & I love the handle for lifting it when it is folded. Unfolding it is a little harder b/c you have to unlock 2 sides first but I think this will get easier as I get used it. The steering is great & I was able to steer it one-handed pretty easily. It easily fit down aisles at a drug store and through doors. Gymboree is a problem but that store is too crowded for a single stroller! I did get the Maclaren "comfort pack" for DD's side and was annoyed that it was $25 but I do think it helps with her comfort. I am also still trying to figure out how to use a diaper bag with this stroller.

So for now I am happy, but when I saw a BJCMD out last week thought about CL the Techno and getting the BJ instead. Grass is always greener I guess!

HTH someone who is looking at doubles.