PDA

View Full Version : Easy vegetarian cold summer entrees

JustMe
05-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Its getting warmer and I don't want to cook. Any ideas for healthy, easy, vegetarian cold dishes or salads, beyond the usual greens, tomatoes, cucumbers? I am thinking yummy pasta salads, something that could go over brown rice..but really would love any ideas that fit in this category, thanks!

citymama
05-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Spaghetti with wilted arugula and cherry tomatoes is one of our fave cold summer dishes. It's from a recipe book I love called "The Complete Italian Vegetarian" by Jack Bishop. You do have to cook a little (sautee garlic in olive oil and cook the tomatoes for about 2 minutes), but then just wilt the fresh arugula and the slightly cooked cherry tomatoes in olive oil on the spaghetti while it is still warm. Serve it at room temperature. This book also has lots of other cold or lightly cooked summer recipes.

JustMe
05-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks, sounds yummy!

ohiomom1121
05-30-2009, 11:07 PM
My SIL makes this and it's really good.
Whatever pasta you want...cook and chill
1 bottle of Italian dressing
1 bottle of Salad Supreme (it is in with the spices at the grocery) it comes in a bottle like garlic powder
1 green pepper (chopped small)
1 cucumber (chopped small)
1 pack of crab meat (imitation is fine)
Mix all together!

kijip
05-31-2009, 01:57 AM
Get some good bread and make sandwiches with cheese, avocado, pico de gallo and any other veggies you like. Tasty.

egoldber
05-31-2009, 07:27 AM
Middle eastern foods are great for summer! Yesterday we had homemade tabouleh, hummos, falafel, and pita (I bought the the pita).

JustMe
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks, all great ideas!

cono0507
06-01-2009, 08:19 PM
My SIL makes this and it's really good.
Whatever pasta you want...cook and chill
1 bottle of Italian dressing
1 bottle of Salad Supreme (it is in with the spices at the grocery) it comes in a bottle like garlic powder
1 green pepper (chopped small)
1 cucumber (chopped small)
1 pack of crab meat (imitation is fine)
Mix all together!

I love using salad supreme for pasta salad. I'll have to try itt with the crab- sound good!

JustMe
06-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Sounds good and easy, thanks!

alirebco
06-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Some rice or other grain salads would be nice - like quinoa, couscous, etc. You can add beans, edamame and other veggies and serve cold.

ILoveLucy
06-15-2009, 09:21 AM
This isn't a recipe per se, but one of our favorite summer suppers is a fruit and cheese plate. I just use whatever fresh fruit we have, cheese, and serve a side of raisin toast or banana bread. Last night we had fantastic Bing cherries, bananas, kiwi, blueberries, apple slices, and canteloupe--totally easy, good for you, and yummy!

R2sweetboys
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
I haven't tried this one yet but I plan to soon...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Healthy-Garden-Salad/Detail.aspx?prop31=6

It sounds yummy and it gets rave reviews!

jawilli4
06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I highly recommend the Garden Ravioli Dish recipe on the back of the Pasta Prima Spinach and Mozzarella Ravioli bag from Costco. The ingredients include the ravioli, the provided Italian Herb Cheese blend, tomato, red onion, green bell pepper, mushrooms, fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, and pine nuts. You combine the ingredients and either serve immediately or cold. It is a hit with all of the members of my family and is one of our staples in the summer.