PDA

View Full Version : Toenail infection?

Delta
05-31-2009, 06:52 PM
hi everyone.
Lo is ten months old. He had soft toenails that tend to breakor ripe. Two weeks ago this happened to his big toe nail. The skin around the corner of that toe started to peel. I placed lotion on it then the skin grew back. But drier and thicker. That dry skin peeled off again today. It looks red and continues to peel.
What can I do to stop the peeling.
Can I use an antibiotic ointment? I don't want it to get infected. It us red now,but not swollen and no drainage. Lo doesn't seem bothered by it.
Should I cover it up? Is it from an ingrown toenail?
I'm quite worried about it.
Thnks for any suggestions and advice.

allangering
08-13-2009, 08:02 AM
The standard treatment for fungal toenail infection has been the oral drug griseofulvin. This prevents the fungus from spreading until the infected nail grows out. Another drug commonly used is ketoconazole. Treatment can, however, take many months and the drugs have side effects that can be serious.
Several new drugs have been approved. These are itraconazole (Sporanox) and fluconazole (Diflucan). These were originally developed to treat fungal infections in AIDS patients and those with compromised immune systems. Unlike griseofulvin, these newer drugs are absorbed into the blood at sufficiently high levels to penetrate the nail and destroy the fungus. The infection usually clears within eight months. Side effects are minor and may involve occasional headaches or digestive upset. The drugs are, however, expensive.