PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT give my children sparklers!

frgsnlzrds
05-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Dear Mom,

I know that I somehow managed to survive my upbringing, but you do not know what is best for my children. When you come over to my house and bring sparklers, you need to listen to me when I tell you that I do not want my kids playing with them. When I tell you they burn at 1800 degrees and are the second most common fireworks injury, most of them being for preschoolers, do not tell me they are safe because you bought them at the grocery store. I can buy rat poison at the grocery store, but it's not safe for my kids to eat!

It was very, very awful of you to wait until I went inside for kleenex to try giving one to ds. And it was even worse of you to try harder after he said that it scared him and tried to pull away from you. (Way to go easy on the in-laws DH, thanks for your support.)

And just to air this all out at the same time, promising DS1 a trip to the Dells after he carelessly swung the souvenier skull necklace you brought him back and forth in front of DS2, resulting in DS2 grabbing it and breaking it, is WAY out of line. And since you rarely follow through with these promises, it's down right cruel. He is super excited and I'm going to be the one who has to explain why it doesn't happen.

Thanks, Mom.

SnuggleBuggles
05-31-2009, 09:37 PM
I hate sparklers and think they should be for adults only. I would be really unhappy with my parents to- on both of the issues you vented about. I hope that they do follow through for ds1.

Beth

MamaMolly
06-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Wow. The sparkler thing is WAY out of line. What a ****ty thing to do to wait until you'd gone inside to give them to your DCs!! I really wouldn't have behaved well at that point. I suggest that since she has proven she refuses to comply with your very reasonable wishes that you confiscate them next time. If she is goofy enough for there to be a next time.

My mom is mostly blind in one eye and doesn't see well out of the other. She won't drive after dark. Anymore, that is. She *barely* passed the driving test the last time, and had even let her license expire because she was so afraid she wouldn't pass it. She gets pissy because I won't let her drive with DD. Period. End of story. E.V.E.R. She never lets a chance slide to see if I'll let her do it. Never fails to mention that my sister lets her drive DNiece around (in a very small town, on an 'emergency' basis like taking her to the doctor when my sister and BIL can't/won't get off work to do it.) What ever. That is my sister's choice. Mine is to not take the chance. I'm not willing to bet DD's life that my mom will not get flustered or lost and panic and cause an accident.

You aren't willing to let your DC's play with an incendiary device that are illegal in many states. Would your mom let your DC's play with a lighter? With matches? How about gunpowder? What exactly does she think sparklers are made of?

Grrrrrrrrrrr on your behalf.

KBecks
06-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Sparklers would upset me too. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

frgsnlzrds
06-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks. :-) I just needed to vent a little. They won't be back for the 4th so I won't need to worry about this again -I hope- until next year. I just really hope that DS forgets about the trip.

DrSally
06-02-2009, 12:22 AM
I would be fuming. I hate sparklers too.

JTsMom
06-02-2009, 07:41 AM
Oooooooooo I would be so mad!

hobie
06-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I was burned on the leg by a sparkler whan I was a toddler, so yeah, none for my kids, ever!

Carrots
06-03-2009, 08:22 AM
I was also burned by a sparkler when I was little. You did the right thing by telling her "no" and I am so sorry she defied you. I would be very angry too.