PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need transitional clothes

wendibird22
06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Help! I'm 10wks pg and starting to outgrow my regular pants and shorts. I have 2 bella bands and have done the rubber band on the button trick which works for some of my clothes, but others just look too tight (pockets are pulling, tight across the rear, etc). But, I know I won't need maternity clothes for a while (I hope). I tried on some of my old maternity clothes and they are just way too big in the waist.

So, I'm in need of some comfy and forgiving pants and shorts, oh and something to wear to a baby shower this weekend (I have NO idea what to wear) that I can get a few weeks/months of wear out of. I'm thinking stuff with elastic or draw stings that I can buy a size up, but can't seem to find anything.

Any suggestions?

WatchingThemGrow
06-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Did you try on the secret fit pants at Motherhood? I thought they were comfy and lasted a loooong time.

nrp
06-01-2009, 10:19 PM
For the baby shower, I'd just buy one of the many, many empire waisted sundresses that are at every store right now. I just bought a couple at Target that are very cute and it occurred to me that they'd make good early maternity dresses. And there are lots of loose "maxi dresses" out now that would work.

elektra
06-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Get some lululemon yoga pants. I got some the day before I went into labor and I really wish I would have gotten them to wear throughout my pregnancy. They are great for after too. Expensive but worth it!

Andi98989
06-02-2009, 09:24 AM
I found pants with a low rise and in a size up really worked well and got me through another 2 months. You might want to check consignment and thrift stores for stuff in bigger sizes so that you're not having to invest as much in it.

Melaine
06-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Have you seen the maxi dresses and skirts out this season? I think that would work great for a shower and be SO comfortable: (I guess unless your shower is dressier.)
http://www.target.com/gp/search/182-0618683-8881119?field-keywords=maxi+dress&url=index%3Dtarget%26search-alias%3Dtgt-index&ref=sr_bx_1_1&x=0&y=0

I LOVE LOVE LOVE and swear by these tank tops for before during and after pregnancy:
http://www.target.com/Long-Lean-Tank-Candy-Apple/dp/B001MZHS98/sr=1-10/qid=1243949286/ref=sr_1_10/182-0618683-8881119?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Along%20and%20lean%20tank&page=1
They are perfect length and stretch and always fit perfectly, great for layering.

jvs195
06-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Last summer while pregnant I lived in Gap knit dresses. Just sized up and they took me through the whole time, not tight around waist, cool in hot weather and could be dressy or casual with different shoes. My favorite pants that I could wear the entire time are the Japanese Weekend OK waist pants. Super comfy and work for many stages, I had to size up one size at the end.

wendibird22
06-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. My challenge with the baby shower outfit for Saturday is that it's only going to be 65-70 deg that day so not quite sundress weather. DDs at the sitters today so I'm going to hit the stores and see what I can find.

mousemom
06-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Last summer/fall I absolutely lived in the fold-over top skirts like those linked below from JCP and Old Navy. I got them early on the pregnancy and was able to wear them throughout.

http://www5.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=50434&CatID=51665&GrpTyp=SIZ&ItemID=15d3f1b&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=50434%7c50454&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=2&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=50434|50454|51665

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5866&vid=1&pid=633374&scid=633374002

newg
06-03-2009, 11:20 AM
You could pair leggings and a cute cardigan with a sundress to make it a little warmer for the cool weekend.
New York and Company seems to have some cute elastic and drawstring pants/skirts right now too.

Good luck!!

Piglet
06-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Sorry to say that if this is your 2nd, be prepared to wear mat clothes earlier than for #1. Beyond that, I liked the before and after style pants - the ones that have a hidden stretch band that you can wear in the first trimester and then again after you have the baby for the first few months until you lose a bit of the baby weight. I also found the stuff with the low panel worked again around 9 months since it fit under my belly and was more comfy than the high panel stuff that started rolling down :(

wendibird22
06-03-2009, 07:49 PM
I ended up with this (http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=19425&N=1200257&categoryId=211&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_211&loc=LN&defaultColorNameFromCategory=Lilac%20Rose&defaultSizeTypeFromCategory=Misses) dress from ATL w/ a little cardigan. The elastic waist and pleating is forgiving w/out making me look too hippy (I'm pear shaped as it is).

No luck yet with capris or shorts. My JCP maternity department has shrunk to 1/2 it's prior size and had barely anything and a few other local stores have totally eliminated their maternity section. I'm pretty much limited to Motherhood and I hate their prices and their return policy (or lack there of).

I'm getting desperate because I have to go to a conference/institute next week for 4 days and the attire is going to be casual/business casual. What I'd be happy to wear around the house chasing my toddler all summer is not what I'd be comfortable wearing among my work colleagues at a professional meeting. Ugh.

And Piglet, you're right, I'm probably just in denial! I haven't really popped yet, but definitely thick in the middle.

Piglet
06-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Have you checked out Gap and ON online? Also Target's Liz Lange is awesome! I hate Motherhood, so I know how hard that can be!

ETA: Here is a dress that might work: http://www.shadeclothing.com/Product/Womens/Modest/Closeout/4_Pleat_Dress

wendibird22
06-08-2009, 01:29 PM
After striking out at a lot of places, including ON, I caved and went to Motherhood and ended up with 2 capris, 2 shorts, and a denim skirt with the secret fit belly. They fit now (funny that all my motherhood stuff from DD1 are too big...they didn't have secret fit back then, just mostly under belly) and should last me quite a while. Now I just have to find a few cute tops that will be long enough to hide the elastic waist. I don't need the fullness of maternity t's yet, just the length.