PDA

View Full Version : Re-Using a Pump for Second Baby?

Indianamom2
06-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I bought and used a manual Avent (Isis, I think) pump with my first child, almost 5 years ago. It didn't get heavy use, as I am a SAHM.

I never really gave it much thought before now, but I'm wondering if there are parts that need to be replaced before I use it again (I'm 35 weeks tomorrow!) or if just thoroughly sterilizing everything will be okay?

I don't know why this didn't occur to me before!

Any thoughts/advice/BTDT?

Thanks
Christina

lorinick
06-02-2009, 04:13 PM
I used that same pump with dc 1 and purchased another one for dc 2. I got the one with the bag this time around and my insurance gives 50.00 toward a breast pump. It was 60.00 before coupon's and discount. So I spent less than the 50.00 dollars. If it were a Medela I'd say just purchase new tubling. But since the pump is cheap and will all the BPA scares I would purchase a new one in your case. Check with your insurance company for breast pump discounts.

Indianamom2
06-02-2009, 04:21 PM
The BPA thing was something else that I was wondering about. I noticed that Medela had replacement parts in Target for their pumps, but none for Avent. I liked the ISIS just fine, so maybe it does make sense to just buy a new one rather than risk contamination. I may not even have enough time to order new parts! Yikes!

Thanks,
Christina

smiles33
06-02-2009, 04:37 PM
I am planning to use my Ameda double electric pump again, but I bought all new horns, tubing, flanges, etc. I didn't even think about the BPA issue! Sterilization will heat the plastic to the point where it might release the BPA, right? Oh dear....

lorinick
06-02-2009, 04:38 PM
The BPA thing was something else that I was wondering about. I noticed that Medela had replacement parts in Target for their pumps, but none for Avent. I liked the ISIS just fine, so maybe it does make sense to just buy a new one rather than risk contamination. I may not even have enough time to order new parts! Yikes!

Thanks,
Christina

I would just buy another Isis. I liked it also and it's cheap enough to do so. Have you checked with your insurance company? It's not something they advertise. I have Blue Cross and Blue Sheild. Also Keystone and Amerihealth.

kijip
06-03-2009, 04:42 PM
There is a BPA free Avent pump. I got it on Target clearance for very little. If it were not for the BPA factor (how important is that to you?) I would have no problem re-using a manual or electric pump with remaining motor life. There is no risk of contamination because the manual is old, it is all able to be cleaned and sterilized. My only pause for reusing an electric pump is the motors only last so long. That would be a factor for moms that pump exclusively and for moms that pump a lot while working.

Indianamom2
06-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I decided to err on the side of caution, especially since the cost was not bad. I had a 15% off coupon from BRU anyhow that was about to expire, so it worked out okay. When I asked one of the employees about extra storage bottles (since the Avent ones are okay, but I prefer the Playtex nursers when I actually use them) she gave me 4 Born Free bottles to try...for free.

Now that's a first from our BRU!

Christina