PDA

View Full Version : I want new appliances

Ceepa
06-02-2009, 06:18 PM
The ones we have are functional but they have gone through two families now and are showing wear. The dishwasher is dreadful and I don't like the way the rest of the pieces look or function. But we don't want to replace one item at a time. We'd rather get a set.

DH doesn't want to replace anything until we decide to sell the house, which could be a couple years from now. Most days I agree with him, but then there are times when I think, "Why do we always make the house nicer for the people who are going to live here after us?" I understand it's all about the resale value and having brand new kitchen appliances would go a long way in a slow market, but this happened in our last house. We just lived with everything as-is and then made upgrades on our way out. :mad:

LBW
06-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I agree with you completely. If I knew we were selling our house in a few years and planned to upgrade appliances before the move, I'd do it NOW so that I could enjoy them!

WatchingThemGrow
06-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I upgraded mine just to make it liveable, but a friend told me the same thing - to go ahead and do it so you can enjoy it, not just let the other people enjoy it. I'm really appreciating her advice since I ended up staying here 4 years longer than I expected with no end in sight!

A friend had a great GE discount through their employer and shared that with me, so I was able to get 4 appliances at a real deal, plus all the mfr. rebates offered on a large purchase.

maestramommy
06-02-2009, 08:50 PM
If you are going to stay in the house for that long, I'd definitely get a new set now. Why suck it up that long, then pass along the brand new stuff to a stranger?

almostamom
06-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Another vote to get the appliances now. We moved into this house with the intent of selling it in seven years. That was seven years ago. We're not going anywhere. The market here tanked - our home is now worth less than we paid for it in 2002. My point is that while you might "plan" on selling the house in a couple of years, no one can predict the future. You could be there for 10 more years. Buy the new appliances so you get to enjoy them! :)

Linda

Ceepa
06-03-2009, 12:02 PM
I like the way you ladies think! ;) It doesn't hurt to start shopping around for sales.

niccig
06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I like the way you ladies think! ;) It doesn't hurt to start shopping around for sales.

Yes, do this. We are in the same position, old appliances and were going to wait until we redid the kitchen. Four years on, and a kitchen remodel is still a LONG way away. We're going to replace the fridge. The stove I'm hanging onto as I would like a different set-up when remodel. If is conks out before then, I'll have to replace it.

I see look around and see what you can do now.

Indianamom2
06-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, maybe this will help convince DH to replace them sooner rather than later...

If you upgrade to Energy Star rated appliances between now and 2010, you can get a tax credit for them. I don't the exact details, I just know there's some sort of tax benefit.

We are in the same boat, BTW. I finally convinced DH to buy a new fridge (got an awesome deal at Lowe's on clearance plus a discount for the floor model). We have no regrets. This week, we also bought a new washer and dryer (through a friends/family discount at Whirlpool) that allowed us to buy a very nice set at basically half price (we paid for the washer and dryer both what the washer alone costs everywhere else).

Maybe that will help? I can totally understand how you feel though, and since our husbands don't generally use the appliances as much as we do (at least mine doesn't) they don't always understand why something that technically works would need to be replaced.

Christina

khm
06-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Definitely upgrade. If you sell in a couple years, you can still say "newer appliances" for your listing.

If you don't sell in a couple years, you'll be glad you didn't spend unnecessary time with frustrating appliances.

Seriously, life's too short to have a crappy dishwasher. Even if you space them out, replace the dishwasher. I'm sure you can get sufficiently matching appliances without buying all at once! I know if one of my 6 year old appliances died, I certainly wouldn't go out and replace them all. ;)

Happy 2B mommy
06-04-2009, 09:56 AM
We just got a new dishwasher and are replacing most of our windows. While we hope to sell in the next 3-5 years, I wanted the tax credit (on the windows esp) and the energy-savings benefit. DH figured the depreciation over 3-5 years would be less than the credit and savings on the power bill. Around here people have the impression that appliances that are less than 5 years old aren't really "old". Folks sell homes with 20+ year old appliances.

So, my vote is to get some new ones now and enjoy them