PDA

View Full Version : how long is too long in the swing?

neeleymartin
06-02-2009, 09:18 PM
colicky ds2 LOVES the swing. i feel guilty putting him in there. he is difficult to hold lots of the time as his body is stiff as a board.

how long, how many times/day is okay? today i put him in there and just surfed the net. felt awful about it as i did. nice to be able to put him down for a few. tia

Tondi G
06-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Do what you need to do to get through the colicky period... it doesn't last that long and if it makes him happy and gives you some hands free time then so be it! Don't feel guilty. It's like when mommy is sick and you need to rest... your kids watch a lot more tv then they usually do.... you do what you gotta do! He is not suffering and there is no reason to feel bad about it! HUGS

WatchingThemGrow
06-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I'd warn to watch his head formation/neck positioning. We didn't have the colicky baby thing, but both our DC were prone to leaning a certain way, getting flat heads... but you've got to survive!

torinyc
06-08-2009, 08:36 AM
We had a reflux issue. Our GI doc recommend to get a swing. He said it was even OK to let DS sleep in there on occasion. Your baby probably does not sleep for that long yet. Ours did not sleep for longer than 2hrs MAX when the reflux was at the worst!. But it is important to take him out and move him around afterwards.
I do not see how being in a swing different than being in a car seat. I seen a lot of strollers around with car seats stuck in the them. These seem so much tighter and babies seem to much more compressed in them than in a swing.

BTW, Babies411 has a blurb on using probiotics for colic. Check it out and may be talk to your Dr. I really feel for you! My DS is now 4 months old, but reflux memories are sill fresh!!!