PDA

View Full Version : Please help - 3rd baby almost here!!

cape76
06-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi Everyone-
Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. I have been agonizing over my stroller situation. I have a 3 year old, 18 month old and newborn on the way in a few weeks. I currently own a BOB double, Maclaren twin techno double, and Maclaren Volo. I had a bugaboo that I loved but thought I didn't need it anymore so I sold it last year. Well, now I sort of wish I hadn't...

I am looking for an all-terrain stroller that I can walk with (or potentially jog but am not a huge jogger), but that I can also use for in and out of the car when I have to take the baby alone somewhere by myself. This is what I am considering:

Uppa baby vista
Bob single
MB single (either urban or swift)
Valco roundabout
Bugaboo

These are my concerns/opinions:
I realize this is a little all over the map. I like the uppa baby b/c of the rumble seat, but my 18 month old barely fits in the rumble seat - she is too big!! Her nose almost hits the main seat. I like having the option of adding the second seat though. I tried my 3 year old and 18 month old in it and it was tough to steer. Also, b/c both kids are so tall, the canopy on the main seat hits the top of their heads almost!!!
The BOB seems great but what I don't like about the double I have was that when my 18 month old could start sitting up the recline was really awkward for her. Also, I don't know that I need a true jogger. I like the MB a lot, but am concerned about size and getting it in and out of the car (and I don't love the sunshade). The swift seems like a great option, but there is no car seat adapter which I really seem to think I need or want. The valco roundabout seems great, a little tougher to steer than the MB, but it has the jump seat which in theory sounds good. I am a little worried though b/c my 18 month old is about 27 lbs and big so not sure how it would steer or if it would be stable. And then there is the bugaboo which I know I love, but the weight limit is 40 lbs. and my 3 year old is 36 lbs. right now and the 18 month old is 27 lbs so I am concerned that they won't fit in it anymore (I know my 3 year old hits the top of the canopy and my 18 month old is so super tall that she is not far from it either).

I guess there is nothing perfect but I am also still a little crazed with what I exactly want or need. I did not consider the Phil and Ted's b/c both my husband and I are tall and when we have tried the stroller out, we hit the bottom seat.

HELP!! If someone can stop me from agonizing I would be so grateful!!
Thanks.....

arivecchi
06-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I have the Valco and love it, but would not get it if you want to pull it in and out of your car. It can be used for light jogging and walking, but it is HUGE and heavy when folded. I always have mine open in the garage. Have you considered a Baby Jogger City Classic or Baby Jogger City Elite? They are great to push, have huge canopies that are awesome (especially for infants) and most importantly, have a one-step fold. You cannot use them for jogging though. You can also look at the new Baby Jogger Summit which can be used for jogging as well. The great thing about Baby Joggers is that they have super tall seats that your child can grow into. Also, the seats can be very reclined for infants or really straight for older kids and moving the seats up and down is super easy to do. My double is a Baby Jogger and it has worked really well for my tall 29 month old toddler and my 4 month old infant.

WatchingThemGrow
06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
We're very similar - just see my siggie...

In our fleet, there is a BJCED, a BJCMD, a single Triumph and a Cameleon. I wish you hadn't sold the Bug either! I thought I wanted to for a brief second, but we use it for the bassinet, and I like the wheeled board option too much.

MY reality is there aren't too many times where I'll have just the baby. The 3yo will be in preschool only 6 hours/week, so I'll have the other 2 during that time. How are you going to only have the baby with you? And how often will that be? I'm not a fan of the SnG, but could a frame get you through the time until the baby is 6 mos and can go in the Volo?

I'm thinking that if you only have the baby with you, it might be really nice to just put him in the Ergo and have your hands free. That's my plan.

cape76
06-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi-
Yes, we are basically the same!!! I am now down to deciding between the mountain buggy urban and swift I think....but, I am concerned the swift might not fit my tall children (even though the seat height looks the same). My kids are tall!!!

Anyone have any input on this?? I like that the swift is more compact and could be an in and out of car stroller but am irritated that it doesn't have the car seat adapter.

Thoughts on this by anyone????
Thank you to everyone!!!

chozen
06-03-2009, 05:09 PM
because the seats are larger, i think they will last alittle longer. our children are tall also.

cape76
06-03-2009, 06:55 PM
I know people love the BJ series and they look nice, but when I saw them in the store, the quality didn't seem as good as other strollers like MB or BOB. I know that might be controversial since I know people love them. An example is with the strap adjustment - it just seemed like the fabric could so easily rip.

Another question I had was if you get the MB urban in black, does it get really hot in there? I totally agree about the canopy lacking a lot, but it seemed to maneuver more easily than the Valco or BOB.

Thanks!!

arivecchi
06-03-2009, 08:53 PM
I have a black Valco Trimode and I've never felt it got too hot. Then again, the Valco has a better canopy than the MB. There are many MB fans here and maybe you can post a separate thread about MB strollers to ask that question. Regarding the BJ quality, I have the Valco, a Baby Jogger City Classic Double and a Maclaren. I think all three are great quality strollers, but they are just simply different. I like MBs a lot too, but I would never pay such an astronomical price for one. The skimpy canopy is another deal-killer for me. But that is just MHO. I like WTG's idea of just using the baby carrier and then the Maclaren or one of your existing doubles. That actually makes a lot of sense as well. Good luck with what you decide and with baby #3!