PDA

View Full Version : Pack-n-Play Canopy permanently attached to bassinet?

indigo99
06-02-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm deciding which pack-and-play to purchase for my first baby and am confused by one thing. Can someone explain to me why the sun canopy would be permanently attached to the bassinet... or isn't it? I've decided that I want the bassinet feature for sure and want the changing table that will just swing out of the way (found on the Graco playpens). All of the models like this also seem to come with an attached canopy though, and it seems to be permanently attached to the bassinett.

This doesn't make sense to me since it seems like I am more likely to use the playpen outside once the baby is older and not using the bassinet. Using it in my bedroom as planned, it just seems like the canopy is in the way and one more thing to worry about. Am I missing something? Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I know that I can find playpen versions without the permanently attached canopy, but I haven't found one with the changing table that will just swing out of the way - which is something I definitely want.

Does anyone have one with the bassinet, changing table that will just swing out of the way (staying attached), and a sun canopy that is not permanently attached but can be used with the bassinet and the normal playpen?

GraceH
06-03-2009, 02:15 AM
I don't have what you're describing, nor do I know of any... however I have the Graco Pack & Play SPORT, which is a hexagonal indoor/outdoor playard with a removable UV roof and a lockable zippered door (so it's a playtent when older) - they don't currently sell them in the US, but I got mine for a bit over $100 in excellent condition on eBay -- really, a changing table feature wasn't important to me (I just throw down my Fisher Price Portable Changer mat wherever DS needed to be changed when we weren't at home), nor was the basinette, as the length of time baby can use that is very limited (I would get a simple reasonably priced dedicated bassinette or co-sleeper if you really feel it neccessary) - we use our playard indoors when guests take DS' room and for naps as well as outdoors for BBQs and camping; it folds compactly its carry bag, and you simply hose the whole thing down if dirty (no cardboard inserts in the floor) -- I love our choice, and strongly suggest you look at it or something similar if you're serious about spending time outdoors

Andi98989
06-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Are you referring to one like this? http://www.gracobaby.com/Search%20Results/Pages/Search.aspx?search=1750716#/1752

I pulled up the instruction manual for it (http://www.gracobaby.com/CustomerService/ProductInstructions/Pages/default.aspx?page=ProdInst, and it says to remove the canopy when baby is starting to push up on hands and knees. So, it's definitely removable. It also says that the canopy is for indoor use only and not to be used as sun protection outdoors.

I would check the manual for the specific one you're looking at, but the canopy should be removable.

marge234
06-03-2009, 12:44 PM
We have the "melbourne" pnp, the bassinet canopy attaches and detaches.

marge234
06-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Ours is a melbourne, got it at Target. The changing area does not swing out of the way. You have to detach it.

indigo99
06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
It is really difficult to tell online, but I checked out several models at BRU. There are indeed some with a canopy that just attaches separately and isn't attached to the bassinet, but the changing table on those doesn't just fold out of the way (they call it pivoting on the Graco site). I think that the linked model above is an example of one where you have to lift the changing table off and put it somewhere when not in use. The models with the correct changing pad all seem to have the canopy that is actually sewn to the bassinet.
http://www.gracobaby.com/Instruction%20Manuals/ISPP124AA.pdf is the instruction manual for one of the models I'm talking about.
I actually just read that the canopy is not for outside use (which I don't know for sure that I ever would want to do anyway), and it just isn't important to me. I do plan on using the playpen in my bedroom with the newborn though so I definitely want the bassinet and pivoting changing table options. It just seems like I can't have the changing table that swings out of the way without having the permanently attached canopy.

I guess maybe others haven't found the canopy to be in the way. You can lay it down in the bassinet, but it just seems unnecessarily hazardous that you HAVE to have it in there at all.