PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen that is great for the whole family?

firsttimemama
06-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Does such a thing exist?

I am sunburned.. because I am too lazy to apply my own sunscreen after I do DS' sunscreen.

I know, I know. I'm so lazy.

He wears CA baby and it is so white & pasty and I hate rubbing it in.. I was thinking if there was something with a similar safe ingredient list that was less .. pasty I might rub it on him and then myself.. if I didn't have to bother with getting out another bottle of sunscreen..

Globetrotter
06-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Blue lizard sensitive

It's not the easiest to apply, but it's easier than other physical sunblocks - it's not so pasty.

jillc
06-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Try Mexitan SPF 30+ for the whole family. It is rated well on the EWG's Skin Deep database, and is less pasty than some of the others that we've tried. It is also cheaper than CA Baby. We use both & find the Mexitan easier to rub in.

Note: Stay away from Badger if you don't like pasty. ;)

infomama
06-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Do they sell Mexitan in stores or only online?

Tondi G
06-03-2009, 06:29 PM
You might like the Jason Organic Mineral sunscreen. It is fragrance free but I didn't care for the smell of it for some reason but it rubs in much easier than CA Baby.

http://www.jason-natural.com/products/sunbrellas.php

I also didn't mind the UV Naturals. Rubs in easier than the CA baby but it has Macadamia nut oil in it so it is a bit greasier ... but not so greasy that my family complained. We used it last summer when I couldn't find CA Baby locally anywhere!

http://www.uvnatural.com/products.htm

rgors
06-03-2009, 07:43 PM
We are using the new Neutrogena pure and free baby, SPF 60. It's not in the cosmetics database yet, but I know it is phlatate (sp) and paraben free. Thin and easy to apply! It's new so can be a bit hard to find (e.g. it will be at some Targets, but not others). Whenever I do find it on the shelf, there's not many of them left!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-03-2009, 08:43 PM
We are using the new Neutrogena pure and free baby, SPF 60. It's not in the cosmetics database yet, but I know it is phlatate (sp) and paraben free. Thin and easy to apply! It's new so can be a bit hard to find (e.g. it will be at some Targets, but not others). Whenever I do find it on the shelf, there's not many of them left!

Is it a chemical sunscreen? I would imagine with a SPF over 30 it is.That is one of the biggest concerns with sunscreen. If it is chemical, it will receive a bad score on skindeep. Or it could have nano particles, also a concern. Chemical free sunscreens that aren't thick like diaper rash cream are so hard to find!

rgors
06-03-2009, 08:54 PM
I honestly don't know. I just know enough to look for paraben and phthalate free. The active ingredients are Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. When I checked on skindeep, these were listed as ok for skin but bad to inhale.

lizajane
06-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Is it a chemical sunscreen? I would imagine with a SPF over 30 it is.That is one of the biggest concerns with sunscreen. If it is chemical, it will receive a bad score on skindeep. Or it could have nano particles, also a concern. Chemical free sunscreens that aren't thick like diaper rash cream are so hard to find!

i like the trader joe's sunscreen. but all the NON chemical sunscreens make dylan break out all over in a rash. so which is better? chemicals or allergen?

mom2akm
06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
We have been using SUN by Alba Botanica and loved it. It's not sticky and it smells wonderful. It comes in different fragrances. We get ours in a health food store.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-04-2009, 12:33 PM
i like the trader joe's sunscreen. but all the NON chemical sunscreens make dylan break out all over in a rash. so which is better? chemicals or allergen?

Have you tried mineral powder ones, kinda like mineral make-up? There are a few brands that sell them.
I personally hate pretty much all sunscreen, but as I have had a pre-melanoma spot removed, have no choice!

ahrimie
06-05-2009, 04:43 AM
I honestly don't know. I just know enough to look for paraben and phthalate free. The active ingredients are Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. When I checked on skindeep, these were listed as ok for skin but bad to inhale.

I think those two ingredients are physical blockers. Am I just making that up?

bubbaray
06-05-2009, 10:53 AM
We are having success with Banana Boat kids this year. It is working for the whole family. Yes, its a chemical sunscreen and I don't want to know the rating. We have tried EVERY.SINGLE.PHYSICAL sunblock/sunscreen out there and they don't work for my kids. Seriously, we've tried everything and this is the only thing that d/n cause a rash or d/n work and lets them burn.

I'm with Liza, I'll take a chemical sunscreen over a rash that needs antibiotics and steroids and/or a severe sunburn.

JMHO

brittone2
06-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Dittoing a few PPs.

The easier to rub in ones are often chemical blocks (which there are some concerns about oxybenzone building up in the body, etc.) or they are physical blocks where the particles have been nano-sized, which is a concern for my family. DH researches nanoparticles...there are definitely some safety concerns. Basically everything we know about what is safe/unsafe in terms of various chemical properties goes out the window once those chemicals become nanoparticle sized. They can behave differently in the body than the larger sized versions of those same chemicals, they may migrate to places we don't know about, they may do things to tissues we don't yet understand. There is concern over using these in products without more extensive safety testing, but for now, industry has won since the US doesn't operate under a precautionary principle.

for example:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/29/AR2008052902949.html

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/special/sunscreens2008/report_nanotechnology.php

infomama
06-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Haven't tried this brand but looks interesting. (This blurb is from www.coolmompicks.com)
Vivesana Baby Sunscreen - When they say natural they really mean natural

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j29/coolmompicks/vivesana.jpgWith the next few months spent almost daily at the pool, my kids and I are everyday sunscreen wearers. And this summer, I hereby announce that my children will be covered in Vivesana (http://www.vivesana.com/), a 70% organic and 100% natural sunscreen (http://vivesana.com/) that's clearly different than anything I've ever used before.

Carefully formulated with awesomely natural ingredients like olive oil and green tea extract and devoid of any chemicals or synthetics, Vivesana is like a fabulous body lotion that just so happens to be a 42 SPF sunscreen. It's so gentle you can use it on little ones who aren't technically supposed to be wearing sunscreen, which beats trying to wrestle with the stupid clip-on umbrella over the stroller every time you turn the corner and the sun direction shifts.

Vivesana is a bit more expensive than ordinary sunscreen, and because it's thicker it takes a little longer to put on. But keep in mind that means you use half as much (if not less) than you might usually use.

I love how the company is truly dedicated to natural and eco-friendly practices - from the unique and recyclable aluminum packaging to the full disclosure of every single ingredient right on their website. Oh--and it really works. -Kristen

Piglet
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I like the spray kind (I am lazy too) even though I am sure it is "bad". I have one that requires a lot of rubbing and it drives me crazy - 3 kids on a sunny day and I am exhausted before we even get going! I pick my battels on chemicals and whatnot. I also don't use sunscreen on the kids daily, and try to keep the kids covered rather than gooped up. If I used it daily, I might consider the "better" brands. For the kids' faces, I use the pasty stuff - I actually like that I can see it going on or I am afraid I'll miss a spot.

infomama
06-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Here is a great product review for Vivesana. I think I am going to go for the Solar to Polar Baby...http://www.organicgreenandnatural.com/2009/06/02/product-review-vivesana-solar-to-polar-sunscreen/

kayte
06-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Here is a great product review for Vivesana. I think I am going to go for the Solar to Polar Baby...http://www.organicgreenandnatural.com/2009/06/02/product-review-vivesana-solar-to-polar-sunscreen/

Thanks for that review. There is a discount code at the end of the article through the end of the month. I think with the discount I am going to try it out...

infomama
06-09-2009, 06:02 PM
I didn't even catch that code...thanks for pointing it out!

mamicka
06-09-2009, 07:10 PM
We are having success with Banana Boat kids this year. It is working for the whole family. Yes, its a chemical sunscreen and I don't want to know the rating. We have tried EVERY.SINGLE.PHYSICAL sunblock/sunscreen out there and they don't work for my kids. Seriously, we've tried everything and this is the only thing that d/n cause a rash or d/n work and lets them burn.

I'm with Liza, I'll take a chemical sunscreen over a rash that needs antibiotics and steroids and/or a severe sunburn.

JMHO

We're in the same boat LOL! Banana Boat Baby or Kids is working great for us. No reactions & it works. We've also tried Nature's Gate aqua block SPF50 & so far, so good.