PDA

View Full Version : are PDA phones really worth it?

AnnieW625
06-04-2009, 11:52 AM
What phone/plan do you have and do you really love it? What do you like about it and what don't you like about it?

I currently have this ancient 4 year old Motorola E815 flip phone and it does a great job for phone calls, which is all I use it for (I don't even download ring tones!), but I am having a bit of cell phone envy these days. Lots of people have these pretty touch screen or full keyboard PDAs. I have my service through Verizon and I get a 15% off montly line service discount through my employer. I am thinking about the Blackberry Curve 8330. I don't text at all so I don't know if I would even use all of the features on the phone, but would love to have everything in one package. The phone would be free with my "new every 2" discount (that I have been eligible for since May, 2007!)

I have also thought about the Iphone, but have also heard that there might be a new cheaper version coming out soon, has anyone heard anything about that? I'd lose my monthly service discount as I am pretty sure that my employer discount only offers discounts on select phones (I can't seem to gain access to the site without an active AT&T phone number). Also I noticed that with AT&T they charge extra for texting with the iphone, is that the same as sending email?

TIA

khm
06-04-2009, 11:58 AM
I have some sort of smartphone from sprint. It's windows based (so, not a palm, blackberry, etc). My phone is fine, definitely not as cool as an iphone. ;)

I love having email, phone and calendar all in one. I rarely text, but email is awesome. I can also browse the web, very nice at times. I do like it and would not go back to a phone-only phone. ;) With sprint, the phone I got was tons cheaper monthly than it's equivalent blackberry, which requires a separate data plan. Mine, is unlimited data and 450 talk minutes for about $60. TOTALLY worth it! Syncs with my outlook calendar on my laptop, etc.

AnnieW625
06-04-2009, 12:07 PM
I have some sort of smartphone from sprint. It's windows based (so, not a palm, blackberry, etc). My phone is fine, definitely not as cool as an iphone. ;)

I love having email, phone and calendar all in one. I rarely text, but email is awesome. I can also browse the web, very nice at times. I do like it and would not go back to a phone-only phone. ;) With sprint, the phone I got was tons cheaper monthly than it's equivalent blackberry, which requires a separate data plan. Mine, is unlimited data and 450 talk minutes for about $60. TOTALLY worth it! Syncs with my outlook calendar on my laptop, etc.

How is your reception with Sprint? I have always heard somewhat negative things about them as far as reception. If I get the Curve through Verizon my bill including my discount would be $84/mos., which will only be about $20 more than what I pay now.

Andi98989
06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Our office uses Sprint as our cell phone provider; we switched to them because we get much better coverage than we used to with Verizon. I've never had a problem with it.

I have a BlackBerry and love it. It's nice having email, phone, and calendar all in one spot. It makes scheduling appointments super easy because I can quickly see what I've got going on. I will also schedule the appointment as a meeting request and send a copy of it to my husband so it gets on his calendar.

khm
06-04-2009, 12:53 PM
How is your reception with Sprint? I have always heard somewhat negative things about them as far as reception. If I get the Curve through Verizon my bill including my discount would be $84/mos., which will only be about $20 more than what I pay now.

I've had no problems at all - here or in my travels, naturally, it all depends on YOUR area, though. Ask around locally! :)

We use them because we used to have Nextel for my husband's company (my husband is in construction) and Nextel and Sprint combined. When we upgraded, we went with Sprint and dropped the push to talk feature.

In my area, Sprint isn't a "favorite", Verizon is probably the most popular. Location, location, location.

I just like that my phone is a full functioning PDA/email/web device without needing a separate data plan. I have 6 email accounts on my phone (gmail, work, home, personal) it's great for me. I do think the Blackberrys are crazy cool, I just was too cheap in the end as it was a considerable extra cost - with my carrier anyways.

niccig
06-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't have a PDA phone, but I got the iPod touch. DH has an iPhone and we use the contacts/calendar on our mac, so I wanted something that synced easily. I didn't want the iPhone data plan, as already paying for one. I really like being able to make Dh's dentist appt (he's too phobic to call himself), put the details in the calendar and then when DH asked me where it is, I could tell him to check his phone as it had all be synced. DH has complained about reminders for DS and I eg. to take muffins to preschool!

I've downloaded different applications that help me be a little more organised...I have a to do program, shopping list program etc. I didn't want/need internet connection when I"m out, but I've found that I can get free wifi at our dr's offices and some other places, and that's been enough.

rebeccaravit
06-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I had the Motorola E815 w/ Verizon and upgraded to a Palm Centro. I wanted to have my phone book, contact list and calendar handy in one device. I can sync it to my computer very easily.

I have the 450 minute plan and just added a $5 - 250 texting plan. I do not have the data plan for email and all that since I am a SAHM and have the computer within a few steps of wherever I am.

We also have the employer discount on our plan. Decide what features you want vs need and then your budget.

belovedgandp
06-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I too just ditched a 4 year old cell phone. I went with the Blackberry Pearl Flip. My provider is T-Mobile.

I do NOT have a data plan, so I don't text or get my e-mail. Just not something I find myself doing. I'm a SAHM and have enough trouble reading, but not responding to e-mail as is. I'd be horrible if I could read it all the time. Can't picture myself being patient enough to type on the small keyboard.

I absolutely love having my calendar and contacts in it. I use Outlook at home and it has been a lifesaver to have my full calendar in my hand as I'm out and about with the kids.

jent
06-04-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't have a PDA phone, but I got the iPod touch. DH has an iPhone and we use the contacts/calendar on our mac, so I wanted something that synced easily.
I've downloaded different applications that help me be a little more organised...I have a to do program, shopping list program etc. I didn't want/need internet connection when I"m out, but I've found that I can get free wifi at our dr's offices and some other places, and that's been enough.

I have a iPod touch too, which I happened to get as a giveaway and so haven't been using to its full potential. I was wondering about this exact issue-- I thought if you're using an internet-based app and then can't access the internet while out, you can't get into it. What are the apps that you use for your to-do and shopping lists? Can you update them even when you don't have access to wireless and then synch when you're back at home base? And ditto for the Mac contacts/calendar?

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

kboyle
06-04-2009, 04:35 PM
i had a palm treo since the kids were born and don't think i could live without a pda phone now, i LOVED that phone. when i switched to tmobile last year i got a blackberry and while i do love it, defintely not as much as my Treo...can't wait till my contract is up in Jan to move to another provider.

AnnieW625
06-04-2009, 05:09 PM
My husband has a treo as his work phone so I think I'll play around with that and see how I like it. He did say that trying to do emails with the keyboard is hard. Also with the treo the only data plan would be the $5 a month texting plan? Personally I just like the idea of having everything in one (calendar, phone book, budget stuff, etc) and if $5 is the cheapest way to get that in a phone then I might be game! I can check my email at work, but might enjoy the internet a bit.

niccig
06-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I have a iPod touch too, which I happened to get as a giveaway and so haven't been using to its full potential. I was wondering about this exact issue-- I thought if you're using an internet-based app and then can't access the internet while out, you can't get into it. What are the apps that you use for your to-do and shopping lists? Can you update them even when you don't have access to wireless and then synch when you're back at home base? And ditto for the Mac contacts/calendar?

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

Yes, you can update the calendar, to do list, shoping list on your phone and when you get home you can sync the calendar. The to do list I"m using has a free website you can sync to, so you can enter things from your desktop or other computer. With an iPhone you could sync all the time. I'm fine with syncing every one or two days. There are some apps that won't work on the iPod touch, as they need constant Internet access eg. up-to-date news, stock reports. But with so many apps available, I haven't had any difficulty in finding ones that work off-line and then sync later on.

daniele_ut
06-04-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm on my 3rd Smartphone in 2 years and I really wouldn't want to go back to a regular phone. I started out with a Blackberry Pearl and loved it. They had to forcibly remove it from my hands when our department made the decision to switch to Sprint and wouldn't allow BlackBerrys any more because of the added cost. I got an HTC Touch Pro and while it was a really cool PDA with an awesome touch screen and browser, the phone sucked and the battery life was abysmal. I was able to trade it in a month later for a Palm Treo 800w and I really like it. It is a Windows Mobile based phone with full keyboard. We have an Enterprise server at work, so all of my emails and contacts sync wirelessly over the air, which is awesome.

AnnieW625
06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Everyone talks about the added cost of the blackberry but through Verizon it looks like the costs are the same for either a PDA like a Palm and the Blackberry. Verizon also charges $1.99/mb for data received (including mobile web advertising), has anyone ever had any experience with this?

khm
06-08-2009, 08:23 PM
If you keep going through the pages on Verizon's website, it says -

BlackBerry Email
You must select an option below

Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage $44.99/month
Email and Web for BlackBerry $29.99/month

I have heard people say they sign up for it, then cancel it?? Not sure if you still can access the internet/some kind of email??

AnnieW625
06-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I just wanted to know if anyone had ever been charged the data fee even with the email or unlimted internet plan.

cuca_
06-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I have a blackberry curve through verizon. I've had a blackberry for several years now, and I love it. For me the most important feature is the email access. This is how I communicate with my DH throughout the day. We speak about once a day on the phone and then email the rest of the time. He is often in meetings and has long hours, and email is the fastest most reliable form of communication between us. I toyed with the idea of getting an I-phone, but heard from several people, including DH who has both, that the blackberry keyboard is much more user friendly. I can't answer your question about the charges, as DH deals with the bills, but I will try to look for an old bill and post later.

HTH

daniele_ut
06-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Everyone talks about the added cost of the blackberry but through Verizon it looks like the costs are the same for either a PDA like a Palm and the Blackberry. Verizon also charges $1.99/mb for data received (including mobile web advertising), has anyone ever had any experience with this?

With a BlackBerry and Verizon, you MUST have the data plan. You can not opt out of it, and believe me, my husband tried. With a Palm you can opt to just have a text plan and use your phone as an organizer without email.

If you plan to use mobile web, they highly recommend that you have a data plan.

daniele_ut
06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
I just wanted to know if anyone had ever been charged the data fee even with the email or unlimted internet plan.

Sorry, I didn't see this when I answered before. No, you are not charged a data fee if you have an unlimited data plan.

lmwbasye
06-09-2009, 01:43 PM
DH and I just got the Curve 8330 through Verizon and LOVE it. It takes a bit getting used to when you are used to a regular phone (mine was also 4 years old), but about a month and a half in, I can't imagine not having it.

We totally passed on the iPhone (and I'm an apple lover in general) simply b/c there are no words for how I feel about AT&T and their customer service. We love Verizon and so stuck with them.

mommy111
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Have blackberry, am in love :love2:
I love how I am connectes to the world, get instant email msgs without having to load them etc

khm
06-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Have blackberry, am in love :love2:
I love how I am connectes to the world, get instant email msgs without having to load them etc

Just FYI for others reading/wondering, my non-blackberry does the same. :) I have 6 email accounts on it (2 gmail, work, home, an outlook exchange server work acct, etc). I get emails instantly without loading anything. I just hear a beep and it's there. You can set it up to check for new email every minute, every hour, whatever - just like your computer.

I'm not anti-blackberry, just explaining what else is available!