PDA

View Full Version : What Could This Be On DD's Face?

randomkid
06-04-2009, 11:21 PM
DD suddenly developed these red patches below her mouth, down to the sides and on her chin. She also has small little flesh colored bumps along her jaw line. I first thought eczema/allergies, but it does not itch or bother her at all and we have not introduced anything new that I can think of. I used Aquaphor on it because it was a little dry. The dryness is gone and they aren't red anymore, but it's still there. She doesn't have anything like this anywhere else on her.

These were taken right around the time it came up - they aren't too clear because they are cropped in really close, but thought you could tell a little something from this. Now if I took a picture, you probably couldn't even see the spots, but they are still there, just not so discolored.
Any thoughts?
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/randomkidfl/P1000871-1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/randomkidfl/P1000870-1.jpg

DrSally
06-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Hmmm, I can't really see it, but it doesn't look so egregious that it jumps out at you. DD gets irritated if food or drool sits on her chin, but she's a baby. Maybe just dry/irritated skin?

How big are the bumps? DS had this thing called gianatti crostini syndrome, which is a dermatological response to a virus (like EBV). Little flesh colored pimples show up on the face, arms, legs (not the trunk). These bumps lasted for 2 months (just a few on his legs and behind his ears) and were preceeded by a fever and swollen glands.

randomkid
06-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Hmmm, I can't really see it, but it doesn't look so egregious that it jumps out at you. DD gets irritated if food or drool sits on her chin, but she's a baby. Maybe just dry/irritated skin?

How big are the bumps? DS had this thing called gianatti crostini syndrome, which is a dermatological response to a virus (like EBV). Little flesh colored pimples show up on the face, arms, legs (not the trunk). These bumps lasted for 2 months (just a few on his legs and behind his ears) and were preceeded by a fever and swollen glands.

I guess I can see it because I know it's there. The most noticeable to me are two spots lower on her chin - one in the center and one on the left side of her chin (so on your right).

The bumps are tiny and in a cluster/line. They are flesh colored and do look a little like pimples, but are just bumps. I haven't seen any on her arms or legs, but haven't really looked. She hasn't had a fever, swollen glands or been sick at all. There have been a lot of viruses going around at school, though. The spots on her chin were more flat, dry and red - not bumps, but more like small patches. I don't think it's just dry skin because of the bumps. She's had this for about 10 days and it's better, but not really resolving.

ETA: I looked at pictures of gianatti crostini syndrome and it doesn't look like that at all.

DrSally
06-04-2009, 11:49 PM
My instinct is that it's just some sort of transitory irritation/pimples. DS gets them sometimes, just random bumps. If they persist, I would check it out, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

shawnandangel
06-05-2009, 01:13 AM
I have no clue but I just had to chime in to tell you that your daugher is adorable!!!

amandabea
06-05-2009, 08:15 AM
This is just a guess, but I think it's probably eczema. It could even be allergy induced. Before this year I never really had allergies, but I got what I thought was pink eye, coupled with these dry patches on my eyelids. Anyway the doctor said it was alleriges and eczema.

Ceepa
06-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Super cute girl! Could it be a minor reaction to something she's eating or drinking? Like dairy?

jvorhis
06-05-2009, 09:13 AM
I would make sure it's not molluscum, it thrives on dry skin. I just found out Emma has this on her legs they look like little pimples, they can be bigger and red only one of hers is. They have no spread to her face now and I am freaked. I would take her to the doctor and have them look at it.

randomkid
06-05-2009, 09:20 AM
I would make sure it's not molluscum, it thrives on dry skin. I just found out Emma has this on her legs they look like little pimples, they can be bigger and red only one of hers is. They have no spread to her face now and I am freaked. I would take her to the doctor and have them look at it.

Nope, that's not it either. Looked it up and that is definitely not it.

R2sweetboys
06-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Gosh, that sounds very similar to what DS2 had going on a bit over a week ago. For him though, it was on both cheeks, forehead, around his eyes, behind one ear, and a little patch of bumps on his torso. He had a few of the dry red patches on his cheeks, and the rest were the little bumps that were flesh colored, maybe a little pink. They didn't seem to bother him much either. He has no history of allergies or sensitive skin.

I ended up taking him to the ped. because I'd never seen anything like it(googled rashes but nothing looked like it) The ped. was kind of stumped too. He thought it looked a little like poison ivy but we're pretty sure he wasn't exposed and I think it would've been more itchy. He said it was def. not a viral rash and didn't think it was a rxn to bug bites. The conclusion was that it was some kind of contact dermatitis and we treated with a steroid cream. It still bugs me not knowing what caused it.(another doctor friend though it could have been a reaction to brown-tail moth caterpillars) :shrug: I'll try to get some pics uploaded later just to compare.

randomkid
06-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Gosh, that sounds very similar to what DS2 had going on a bit over a week ago. For him though, it was on both cheeks, forehead, around his eyes, behind one ear, and a little patch of bumps on his torso. He had a few of the dry red patches on his cheeks, and the rest were the little bumps that were flesh colored, maybe a little pink. They didn't seem to bother him much either. He has no history of allergies or sensitive skin.

I ended up taking him to the ped. because I'd never seen anything like it(googled rashes but nothing looked like it) The ped. was kind of stumped too. He thought it looked a little like poison ivy but we're pretty sure he wasn't exposed and I think it would've been more itchy. He said it was def. not a viral rash and didn't think it was a rxn to bug bites. The conclusion was that it was some kind of contact dermatitis and we treated with a steroid cream. It still bugs me not knowing what caused it.(another doctor friend though it could have been a reaction to brown-tail moth caterpillars) :shrug: I'll try to get some pics uploaded later just to compare.

Thanks for your response. DH also said it looked a little like poison ivy, but we don't have any of that around here and it doesn't itch or bother her at all. It's definitely not getting better and maybe spreading a little. The bumps are tiny and you really can't see them unless you have her tip her head back so the light hits it just right. Some of the areas are a little hyper-pigmented, brownish, but not red at all. I'm thinking we might have to go to the ped next week if it doesn't get better with what I've been doing.

buddyleebaby
06-05-2009, 09:00 PM
I can't really see them either but it sound very similar to something my daughter has on her cheek. I took her to the dermatologist who said it was eczema in the pores. The spots seem to be worse some days than others and she said even though dd was not scratching it like crazy the occasional scratch was enough to keep it inflammed. She prescribed a steroid cream, desonate, that we had to put on twice a day for three weeks and also a moisturizer. They are still there but much faded. We are due to go back for a follow-up.

ThreeofUs
06-05-2009, 09:06 PM
What a cutie!

Could be an allergy (did you try topical benadryl already?), but kinda looks like touch of a virus or - only very possibly - a light fungal infection to me. If you live someplace warm, I might put bets on the latter and try an anti-fungal creme to see if it makes a difference. (If the creme works, you'll know it within hours.)

randomkid
06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
What a cutie!

Could be an allergy (did you try topical benadryl already?), but kinda looks like touch of a virus or - only very possibly - a light fungal infection to me. If you live someplace warm, I might put bets on the latter and try an anti-fungal creme to see if it makes a difference. (If the creme works, you'll know it within hours.)

Didn't try Benadryl cream, but broke down and put hydrocortisone on it tonight as it has spread onto her cheeks and is on both sides whreas previously, it was mostly on her left side. I don't like to use hydrocortisone on her face, but I had to do something. She's had it almost 2 weeks and now, over the past day or 2, it's spreading. I'm wondering if it's something at school. A couple more red spots popped up tonight and one was itching her, but not terribly. Fungal is a thought, but doesn't really look like what I think fungal would. She's had that on her bottom many times and it's always red spots. This is just so strange - a few red, irritated areas and the rest flesh colored bumps/raised areas, almost like bumps *under* her skin, not on top of her skin.

writermama
06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't know what it is, but I'd make a point of washing anything that her face comes in contact with, like pillow cases, sofa cushions ... and go ahead an make an appointment with a dermatologist. If it's the same in your area as it is in mine, you may have to wait a while before you get an appointment, so making one now that you can cancel if things clear up might be wise.

amandabea
06-05-2009, 11:04 PM
I still think it's more likely to be an allergy. If it were fungal I think it would likely itch like crazy. I hope the hydrocortisone works tonight. Good luck - rashes are no fun for anyone.

ThreeofUs
06-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Wow, 2 weeks. ITA with writermama: get her to a dermatologist.

We could sit here and guess, but if it's spreading, someone needs to see her and the rash.

GL!

DrSally
06-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I was just coming to suggest, as pp already did, to make sure to wash her pillow cases in case it's something irritating her on them.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Do you live in a humid or dry area right now? It is dry now here and we all get dry skin bumps...