PDA

View Full Version : Boy name help needed, sort of...

WatchingThemGrow
06-05-2009, 11:24 AM
We're looking for something that:
-doesn't require spelling (last name does)
-goes with Allen as a middle
-doesn't end with a "ck" sound
-doesn't have a nickname that ends with a "ck" sound
-isn't an old boyfriend's name, lol
- is easy to pronounce
-DH prefers something traditional
-doesn't bring back any memories of former students that were "unforgettable" IYKWIM

DH thinks he has one, but I'm not sure it is interesting enough. Maybe once I see the baby, I'll be cool with it.

Oh, I'm due Monday and have always had them the day before. Your timely help is appreciated.

Jen841
06-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Jude - everyone knows the name, but no one knows someone with the name.

mommylamb
06-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I love James.

AnnieW625
06-05-2009, 11:31 AM
My DH's middle name is Jude (yes named after the song; MIL huge Beatles fan). I knew someone in high school whose name was Christopher Allen.

Other names:
Kyle
John (but then you might end up with Jack as a nick name)
Greg
Simon
Michael
Thomas
Keith
David
Robert

Best wishes for your labor!

elektra
06-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Charles. Benjamin. Andrew.

JBaxter
06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
My "boys"
David ( DH)
Logan
Connor
Nathan
Jack
Other family
Daniel
Patrick
Thomas
Timothy
Tyler
Joel
Nicholas
Joseph
Troy
Brent
Garrett
Jared
Todd

ha98ed14
06-05-2009, 11:36 AM

I love this name. I know a Jude and a Judah. But only one of each.

You don't say if you are open to biblical names, but there's a source right there:

Matthias (Matty)
Thaddeus (Tad)
Nicodemus (Nicky)
Nathan (Nate)
David
Michael
Micah
Caleb
Benjamin (Ben)

Celtic-ish

William (Will)
Liam
Collin
Patrick
Aiden

Will post more if I think of any...

amandabea
06-05-2009, 11:36 AM
I like several of the names already mentioned by PPs. Here are a few more:

Matthew
Hunter
Bennet

firsttimemama
06-05-2009, 11:54 AM
My son's name is Grant. I like it a lot. :)

and I don't know any other Grants.

JBaxter
06-05-2009, 11:57 AM

I do... A little boy in Nathans preschool last year. His dad called him Jude the Dude... Ruined the name for me everytime I hear the name... Jude the Dude pops in my head LOL

KrisM
06-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Names from my family:

Andrew
Neil
David
Thomas
Daniel
Nickolas
Alexander
Parker
James
Richard
Ryan
Robert

Tondi G
06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Mason
Liam
Aidan
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ethan
Joseph (Joey/Joe)
Gavin
Brendan
Brennan

My neighbors son is Lukas Allin (pronounced Allen)

I know a Jude as well... Jude Oliver... he was a baby born to another couple in our Bradley Childbirth class!

american_mama
06-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Ok, the key characteristics seem to be easy to spell and say, traditional but interesting.

Liam
Adrian
Ryan
Seth
Ezra
Caleb
Wyatt
Kyle
Cory or Corey
Ian
Isaiah... now that I've typed it, that's actually harder to spell than I thought
Paul
Theodore, Ted, Theo
Abraham
Josiah (Joe, Jeb)
Elias (Eli)
Elijah
Daniel
Jared or Gerald
Arthur
Andon or Anton... not so traditional though

SM23Mama21
06-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I like Jude too! I also like Tristan.

citymama
06-05-2009, 01:34 PM

My nephew is a Jude!

citymama
06-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Here are some:

Nathaniel
Benjamin
Alexander
Jacob
Joshua
Liam
Henry
Samuel
Daniel

Andi98989
06-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Names from my family and friends:

Richard (Rich, Dick)
Daniel (Dan)
Anthony (Tony)
Dale
Kenneth (Ken)
Kevin
Timothy (Tim)
Paul
Matthew
Ryan
Eric
Douglas (Doug)
David (Dave)
Nicholaus (Nick)
Justin
Alexander (Alex)
James (Jim)
Jeffrey (Jeff)
Brandon
Jonathan
Ethan
Christopher (Chris)
Chase
Cade
John
Thomas (Tom)
Michael (Mike)
Joel
Bradley (Brad)

DietCokeLover
06-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Charles
Lawrence
Andrew
Chandler
Jordan

TwinFoxes
06-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I've always liked John. Classic, no one misspells it, and there's just something so solid about it. I think if we had had a boy John would have been a front runner. I don't think Jack is a common nickname for John any longer, since Jack is such a popular name on its own (per your no "ck" ending rule.)

I also like Sean, but there are many ways to spell it.

amldaley
06-05-2009, 02:00 PM
I love James.

That was my very first impulse when I read the original post, too.

James Allen is very nice and clean and classic.

HIU8
06-05-2009, 02:05 PM
How about:

Jared
Ethan
Robert
Noah
Samuel
Brian

WatchingThemGrow
06-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Hehehe this is FUN!!! Some more contenders are coming out of the woodwork. When DH is done working today or I start having contractions I'll have him pull this thread up and read. He'll love it. i'm always impressed with what you guys come up with!

For the record...these are already in use in our family:
Michael
Thomas
Brian
Mark
Grant
Aidan
Luke
Cory
Caleb
Daniel
James
Justin
Jason
Steve
Jerry
Luther
and...Reanous
and yes, Biblical names are great!

And these are boys names ruined for me personally from teaching or datine - even though I like all of them!
Joshua
David
Christopher
Christian
Joe
Kyle
Simon
Spencer
Cole
Edward
Neil

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Simon
Joshua
Aaron
Nathan
Benjamin
Jacob
Xavier

~Beth

ast96
06-05-2009, 02:46 PM
I have my own little Benjamin Allen, and he is the dearest thing. So you have my vote: Benjamin.

LarsMal
06-05-2009, 03:04 PM
I had to pull up DH's Word document to get the complete list of names we'll never use!!! He's kept this list going and updated since I got pregnant with DS 4 1/2 years ago! ;)

My faves were:

Graham
Carson
Thomas

His complete list also included:

Bennett
Henry
Carter
Fletcher
Mason
Maxwell
Devin
Cole
Eli
Keegan
Liam
Hayden
Hudson
Wyatt

**and a few others that I hated so much I won't even put them on this list!!!

KpbS
06-05-2009, 03:42 PM
I really like
Grant
Bennett
Henry
Simon
Samuel
Benjamin
Elliott

My bff lives in your neck of the woods. She knows 2 boys named Knox. So it may be a little common there for some reason. Just an fyi.

rwiklendt
06-05-2009, 03:49 PM
We have a Quinn, but also considered Gabe. And I just saw the name Quade the other day and sort of wished I'd had twins!

lizajane
06-05-2009, 04:08 PM
i think matthew is the one.

gatorsmom
06-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Charles - love this name, wonder why:wink2: (I threaten people who say the word "Chuck" though)
Michael
Henry- I love this one
William
Thomas
John
James
David
Hugh-I like this one
Daniel
Dean
Jeffrey
George- I like this one too
Edward
and for some REALLY unusual old names (my grandfather and his brother's names:
Casper
Morris
Victor
Rufus

arivecchi
06-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Oh my gosh! How are you going to process all of this! Any favorites so far?

arivecchi
06-05-2009, 05:05 PM
My "boys"
David ( DH)
Logan
Connor
Nathan
Jack
Other family
Daniel
Patrick
Thomas
Timothy
Tyler
Joel
Nicholas
Joseph
Troy
Brent
Garrett
Jared
Todd
I must say I love all of your boys' names.:applause:

Ceepa
06-05-2009, 06:49 PM
I think these meet the criteria but I don't know the names of OP's old boyfriends. :wink2:

Arthur
Benjamin
Charles
Daniel
David
Ezra (could be tricky with Allen)
Gabriel
Harry
Henry
James
John
Jonah
Jonathan
Joseph
Joshua
Julian
Leo
Levi
Louis
Luther
Martin
Matthew
Moses
Nathan
Nathaniel
Noah
Paul
Peter
Philip
Raymond
Samuel
Theodore
Thomas
Timothy
Vincent
Walter
William

WatchingThemGrow
06-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Oh my gosh! How are you going to process all of this! Any favorites so far?

I wish I could give all the info about what the other DC are named, the last name, etc. but ALL my friends would say, "OK, now I KNOW you're Wtg on BBB!" I'm sure they've figured it out already ;)

We'll likely be sitting in L&D tonight with the iPod Touch, reading, circling, reciting all the different combinations. DH is hilarious about it all. His frontrunner is James, with John 2nd. I just can't do James after hearing about my step-brother James' really sucky extramarital relationship of late. My mom's side has a Robert in every generation, but none in this one yet. I like the name, but DH doesn't like the way the final T and the K of our last name sound next to one another - picky, picky, picky... Now there are lots more to consider, so you never know what we'll end up choosing! We had a 4 week courtship, a 9 week engagement, and this will be the 3rd child before our 4th anniv. We're entirely capable of making quick decisions together!

I'm thinking we'll be at the hospital tonight b/c there were some contractions after dinner and at our TV shopping trip to Sam's. As soon as DH gets done cleaning his bathroom and wrapping up loose ends, we'll head to Best Buy, then maybe on to the hospital if things pick up. Looks like a sleepless night ahead of us. Maybe I should be taking a nap instead?? Your prayers for a smooth delivery, a healthy baby, and a rockin' start to nursing this time!

brittone2
06-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I wish I could give all the info about what the other DC are named, the last name, etc. but ALL my friends would say, "OK, now I KNOW you're Wtg on BBB!" I'm sure they've figured it out already ;)

We'll likely be sitting in L&D tonight with the iPod Touch, reading, circling, reciting all the different combinations. DH is hilarious about it all. His frontrunner is James, with John 2nd. I just can't do James after hearing about my step-brother James' really sucky extramarital relationship of late. My mom's side has a Robert in every generation, but none in this one yet. I like the name, but DH doesn't like the way the final T and the K of our last name sound next to one another - picky, picky, picky... Now there are lots more to consider, so you never know what we'll end up choosing! We had a 4 week courtship, a 9 week engagement, and this will be the 3rd child before our 4th anniv. We're entirely capable of making quick decisions together!

I'm thinking we'll be at the hospital tonight b/c there were some contractions after dinner and at our TV shopping trip to Sam's. As soon as DH gets done cleaning his bathroom and wrapping up loose ends, we'll head to Best Buy, then maybe on to the hospital if things pick up. Looks like a sleepless night ahead of us. Maybe I should be taking a nap instead?? Your prayers for a smooth delivery, a healthy baby, and a rockin' start to nursing this time!

How exciting!! Wishing you the very best if this ends up being the night :)

ncat
06-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I like:

Jonathan
Robert
George

with Allen, but I guess Jonathan has alternate spellings.

amldaley
06-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Have not been able to stop wondering how last night went and if Baby Boy No Name is named yet...and born yet!!!!!

Keeping you in my prayers!!!!!!!

WatchingThemGrow
06-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Have not been able to stop wondering how last night went and if Baby Boy No Name is named yet...and born yet!!!!!

Keeping you in my prayers!!!!!!!
Thanks for your prayers and well wishing, A-M and Beth! I actually had one of the best nights' sleep in a looooong time. Kept checking to see if baby boy was still moving, which he is now. Looks like we have another day to peruse this awesome list and pick something.

JBaxter
06-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Well if he let you sleep well last night maybe he is gearing up for tonight or he is figuring he better have a name before he makes an appearence LOL

WatchingThemGrow
06-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Apparently, he's giving us more time for a name. DH finally looked for an ipod app called "contraction master" but decided he'd just keep writing it on paper. I don't think we'll make it through the night.. I pray!

SammyeGail
06-07-2009, 01:13 AM
So exciting!! I just read this post, not good with names, but I do like John and Jonathan. We thought we were going to call Jonas Jon for short but he gets called Jo. I would avoid Noah, I thought I might run into this problem and I did, 'no-no, Noah', with him I have to say no alot, lol. I almost fell on the floor laughing one day when I was picking him up from Mothers Day Out and a little boy asked the teacher 'Did his Mommy name him Noah because she has to tell him no all the time?'.

Best of luck with your labor and B/F!! So exciting!! Didn't get to experience either, went to the hospital one Sat night at 1AM because I felt funny, had fast onset of pre-eclampcia, was told at 10AM they were taking the boys at 2PM. Boys were fine but I still kept taking on water and my blood pressure was at stroke level, I went to NICU every few hours to see them but could only hold and feed them a few minutes at a time I was so weak : (.

OH!! Enjoy this so much!! I will be thinking of you and enjoying it thru you, LOL!!

BTY, again, my vote goes for Jonathan 1st, Jon for short, then John 2nd. Have fun!!

WatchingThemGrow
06-07-2009, 06:52 AM
Thanks, Samantha! My brother Jonathan Caleb would be so honored if we did Jonathan. i think DH is set on John, but we'll see. After ANOTHER night of rest with contractions, we're going in after my bath, which is running right now. This seems like it has been forever!

Thanks for sharing your story and your tips. Never thought of the No, No, Noah! All the little Noahs I've known have been sweethearts!

Eta: hooked up to monitors now, wishing this labor thing would hurry up! Contractions every 3-5 min of varying intensity

amldaley
06-07-2009, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE=SammyeGail;2389324]I would avoid Noah, I thought I might run into this problem and I did, 'no-no, Noah', with him I have to say no alot, lol. I almost fell on the floor laughing one day when I was picking him up from Mothers Day Out and a little boy asked the teacher 'Did his Mommy name him Noah because she has to tell him no all the time?'.[QUOTE]

lol...DH and I purposely practiced evry first & middle combo out like that... "XY, No!...XY, Stop that!", etc...b/c we KNEW, based on her being OUR kid, she will run towards the wall socket with a fork one day and we will have to yell, "No!" alot!!!