PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for long-term storage?

LarsMal
06-05-2009, 11:41 AM
We are moving in less than two weeks- yikes! Our new house won't be ready for several months so the majority of our stuff is going in storage until then.

I'm okay with our hard surface stuff being in storage, but the thought of couches and mattresses freaks me out a bit. Is there anything I can do (or have the packers/movers do) to protect our stuff from bugs and critters? Any special coverings or wrapping I can use? Any other tips/advice for long-term storage?

TIA!

kramerski
06-05-2009, 11:46 AM
You might want to consider a climate controlled storage unit (AC and Heat). It should help control the humidty and extreme heat issues that may degrade your stuff and reduce the musty smell from moisture.

Sure it will cost a little more but I think it is worth it.

amandabea
06-05-2009, 11:46 AM
use a moving company that either has their own clean, climate-controlled storage warehouse or one that packs your stuff into a sealed container which gets offloaded into their warehouse for storage until ready to move to the new house.

ha98ed14
06-05-2009, 12:10 PM
No experience with Long term storage, but I do know you can buy plastic mattress bags/ covers (good thick plastic) at U-Haul. I have used them every time I moved.

BayGirl2
06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
We did the same thing last year, our stuff was in storage for 7 months. I agree with PP: use a moving company that packs your stuff in wood crates, then transports and stores the crates closed. This will prevent multiple touches and keep everything together. We had 7 crates and all arrived still sealed, and with all the little stuff together. Another option is Pods, if that works logistically for you.

For upholstery, try to wrap it in plastic. The big rolls of plastic wrap used to wrap pallets in a factory/warehouse is perfect for this! I think its also sold at UHaul/Public Storage places. You can also buy plastic bags for mattresses. I still vacuumed all the furniture as soon as it was unpacked, but the above steps helped it from being dust filled when it arrived.

katerinasmom
06-05-2009, 01:12 PM
One tip -
Tell whomever is actually loading your storage container (whether a crate, or a storage room at a facility, or a POD or whatever) that you want all of your wood furniture stored in the direction it is meant to be used. In other words, do not let them put your tall dresser on its side. Have them fit it into the room standing up. We had furniture in storage for 9 months. I didn't realize that they had put the tall dresser from our bedroom set in the storage room on its side (to make everything fit better). When we finally took everything out of storage, the drawers were all a little off, none of them close perfectly anymore. While it doesn't tilt, the whole rectangular shape of the dresser is now a very slight parrallelagram. No one notices it except me but my obsessive compulsiveness can't help but be frustrated with my inability to get everthing lined up right.

LarsMal
06-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the tips!

We don't have any choice with the moving company (all through DH's work). I'm still waiting for them to call to set up our pre-move meeting. I'm making notes so I can ask them if they do the things mentioned here (plastic mattress covers, etc.).