PDA

View Full Version : Itchy lump behind ear-what is it?

JTsMom
06-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I just found a lump behind Jason's right ear. It's pretty big, and it looks like he's been scratching it quite a bit, so it's red. He's been fine- no illness, acting and eating normally. Does it sound like a swollen lymph node? Can they get really big? This is about the size of a squished/ elongated quarter- maybe a little smaller, but close.

I'm probably going to call his ped in a couple of minutes, but thought I'd check here first just so I'd know what to expect.

Ok, I don't think it's so big anymore. He let me check it out a little more thoroughly, and it just happens to be on top of a bumpy bone back there, so it seemed bigger than it really is. It's more of a little lump. I'm wondering if it could just be that shampoo got stuck back there and irritated it, or if it could be a bug bite, although it's in a weird spot.

pinkmomagain
06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
My first thought was a bug bite...which can appear lumpier if its situated on top of a bumpy bone like that.

brittone2
06-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah, could be a bug bite situated just right on his mastoid process (which sounds like the bone you are describing).

JTsMom
06-05-2009, 12:36 PM
So it's reasonable just to watch it for a couple of days, right? I hate to drag him to the ped for no reason, and expose him to who know what, kwim? I was a little bit freaked when I thought it was huge, especially since it's Friday, but just a tiny one seems like no biggie.

billysmommy
06-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Billy gets bug bites behind his ears all the time (it's really weird!!!) The way you described it is pretty much exactly what they look like. They usually last 3-4 days

citymama
06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Bug bite or swollen lymph node. Is it under his hair or on bare skin? If under hair, probably lymph node.

I used to get swollen lymph nodes a LOT as a kid.
Some things that would set it off:
--tooth infection or dental inflammation (this is more in the neck region or just under the ear). Gargling with warm salt water and doing a thorough brushing can really help. Do this if you're in doubt.
--I know this sounds weird, but unclean hair or new glasses would also set it off for me as a kid. I once had this pair of very tight-fitted new glasses and they chafed the back of my ears, I unconsciously itched a lot in the area and before long it was a big honking swelling - that my glasses rod kept pressing down on and made it worse. If he doesnt wear glasses, a tight baseball cap, pen behind the ears etc could also set it off. Or just give his hair a thorough wash.
-- ear infections can sometimes trigger a swollen lymph node. I didn't get a lot of these as a kid, but I remember the doc would check my ears when I had these weird swellings.

It should go away on its own, but you can do some of the things above to relieve it if it is a lymph node. If it's a bug bite, you've got a lot of good advice already!

Corie
06-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Billy gets bug bites behind his ears all the time (it's really weird!!!) The way you described it is pretty much exactly what they look like. They usually last 3-4 days

Us here too!!!

I usually just dab them with my Benadryl stick to stop the itching and
it works wonders.

DrSally
06-05-2009, 10:53 PM
DS has the exact same thing, along with a little pin prick scab, so I think it's a mosquito bite. He had one last summer too. We happened to be at the ped for something else last year and he said it looked like a mosquito bite. It took a few days and the lump has gone down, so I'm pretty sure it was a bug bite again.