PDA

View Full Version : 14-mo...ok to let snack all day?

srhs
06-05-2009, 04:49 PM
So I finally got some snack traps, and woo-hoo they rock! :thumbsup:
Now that DS is getting used to having access to snacks, he is asking for more in his cup all day.

I've always felt that he gets tired of being in his highchair before he gets full, so have done snack time sitting on the kitchen floor or somewhere else to not have him in there more than 3x/day.

With the increased snacking, he's increasing his carbs. He's a BIG fruit eater also. He'll do cheese and yogurt okay but limited veggies and meat. I do keep offering them on the tray, though.

If I limit carbs at mealtime to adjust for his snacking, would this be okay? Or do I need to limit the snacks altogether? Is there any reason he should be eating at set times only? Thoughts?

TIA!

Piglet
06-05-2009, 04:53 PM
DD is like this - she is a grazer and a fairly picky eater. She is also a social eater (will eat whatever anyone around her is eating). It drives me batty since I always strive for proper meal times but she has 2 older brothers that eat at different times sometimes. I have had to learn that she needs access to a variety of snacks all day long. I jokingly told DH I will buy her a doggy dish! I do a LOT of fresh fruit with her. The only rule I have is that she has to be sitting to eat and now that she is older I can be stricter about food being for the kitchen only. FWIW, my boys never grazed, so this might be an individual thing.

SnuggleBuggles
06-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Dr. Sears would ok it. :) He encourages the "nibble tray" filled with healthy snacks that are accessible all the time.
http://askdrsears.com/html/3/T030800.asp

Beth

srhs
06-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks ladies!!! I appreciate the reassurance!

I thought #12 was interesting on Dr. Sears article...that the dangling feet make them antsy. I think I'll try the booster seat right on the floor some time!

Momof3Labs
06-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Look into freeze-dried fruits and veggies. There is nothing added to them, and that would give you an alternative to carbs in the snack trap.

egoldber
06-05-2009, 06:19 PM
This is how Amy eats as well. I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is.....

HIU8
06-05-2009, 07:56 PM
My DS eats like this. He eats at least 6 small meals a day and other snacks. He eats a variety of items so I can't complain (although I wish it included more veggies). The ped is happy with DS's weight and the way he eats. He said DS actually is eating healthier for his body rather than 3 large meals a day. DS is in the 5% for weight and is super super skinny, but I know what he eats so I am not worried about it.

WatchingThemGrow
06-05-2009, 08:01 PM
EllynSatter.com has a lot of good feeding tips as well as in her book Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense.