PDA

View Full Version : Seriously - it's a candy bar!

KrisM
06-05-2009, 07:12 PM
DD's birthday party is tomorrow. I'm making a cake that looks like a castle. I want to use Hershey bar squares for the door and windows. I forgot to buy them yesterday. DH called and is on his way home. I asked if he could stop somewhere and get 2 candy bars. This is the conversations:

Me: Could you get me 2 Hershey bars for the cake?
Him: What kind?
Me: Regular Hershey - no almonds, etc. Should be about $.89.
Him: Where do I find these?
Me: Gas station, drug store, Kroger...wherever you want to stop.
Him: What size? What kind?
Me: Plain, regular Hershey bars. Not king size, just regular.
Him: Aren't there about 4 different sizes of these?
Me: I don't really know. Just get the typical size. Should be about $.89.
Him: Aren't you going out later anyway?
Me: Yes, but I wanted to do the cake first in case I find I need something else for that.
Him: So, what do I have to get?
Me: Just forget it! Come home. I'll do it later.

I mean really. Hershey bars are not some obscure thing. I'm not asking for anything hard here, am I?

Melaine
06-05-2009, 07:46 PM
:hysterical:
I know it's not funny when you are on the receiving end of that though. How annoying.

g-mama
06-05-2009, 07:47 PM
OMG, that's hysterical. Good luck.

MMMommy
06-05-2009, 08:00 PM
That is too funny! I'm sure the cake will turn out great. A simple Hershey bar. Who knew it would be so hard to figure out?

egoldber
06-05-2009, 08:17 PM
LOL!!! See my DH would totally stop and then call me from his cell with 5 options. Dude. It's a HERSHEY bar! Figure it out!!!!!

Momof3Labs
06-05-2009, 08:47 PM
LOL!!! See my DH would totally stop and then call me from his cell with 5 options. Dude. It's a HERSHEY bar! Figure it out!!!!!

My DH would gladly stop without complaining and come home with 7 Snickers bars or something. I *wish* that he'd make the cell phone call with the 5 options!!

LBW
06-05-2009, 08:50 PM
We'd have a similar conversation, I'd send him an email reminder, then I'd call when he left work - and get the "you're being a nag" tone. When he got home, and I'd ask him where the Hershey bar was, he'd say, "Uh, I forgot."

Sigh.

The cake sounds fabulous, though!

JTsMom
06-05-2009, 09:54 PM
:ROTFLMAO: You guys are killing me. I swear I have these conversations at least once a week. I could provide a photo, an aisle number with an exact shelf location, a written and a verbal description, and I'd still get a call about which milk we've been buying for the past 7 years.

maestramommy
06-05-2009, 10:16 PM

:yeahthat::hysterical:

MontrealMum
06-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Sounds very familiar here too unfortunately. Hope you have the candy now and have completed your baking!

m448
06-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Oh man I'm laughing my butt off here. I asked hubby what he'd do and just as I thought, he'd go to BJs and come home with a box of 30 hershey bars so he'd never have to buy another one for a while LOL.

jent
06-05-2009, 10:33 PM
:ROTFLMAO: You guys are killing me. I swear I have these conversations at least once a week. I could provide a photo, an aisle number with an exact shelf location, a written and a verbal description, and I'd still get a call about which milk we've been buying for the past 7 years.

This is like the time I sent DH to the store for children's Benadryl, and no joke, he went to THREE pharmacies and finally came home with the "thinstrips" and told me that NONE of them sold children's Benadryl. Ummm, DH, how about asking the pharmacist or even a salesclerk?

KpbS
06-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Hilarious!!! LOL

MCsMom
06-05-2009, 11:26 PM
That is too funny and sickeningly familiar at the same time :ROTFLMAO:

Globetrotter
06-05-2009, 11:27 PM
My dh says I'm too picky and uses that as an excuse to not perform these duties. I make him do it anyway!

gatorsmom
06-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Too funny. My DH would whine, "But you know I never seem to get what you want." To which I would reply, "Yep, that's true. Let's see if you get it right this time. "

Hope your cake turns out great. :cheerleader1:

Toba
06-05-2009, 11:47 PM
See, I took this differently because my husband does this on occasion. Maybe he didn't WANT to go to the store so he made himself sound silly so you'd give up.

bubbaray
06-05-2009, 11:59 PM

WAIT, we are married to the same man. Seriously. How can you not know what to buy when you've been looking at the same packaging in our fridge for years!

My DH would bring home every single Hershey bar known to mankind and then claim he had no alternative but to "take one for the team" and eat the ones I didn't need. All at once. Like the fat German kid in Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (DH isn't fat, but he IS German).

TwinFoxes
06-06-2009, 12:04 AM
This is like the time I sent DH to the store for children's Benadryl, and no joke, he went to THREE pharmacies and finally came home with the "thinstrips" and told me that NONE of them sold children's Benadryl. Ummm, DH, how about asking the pharmacist or even a salesclerk?

Whoa, talking to a salesclerk? What, are you nuts? It's so much easier to just wander the aisles randomly, go to several different stores, and then just buy "the only thing they had, will it work?" And since it's the wrong thing altogether, make sure you get it in bulk please DH. Thanks!

srhs
06-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Whoa, talking to a salesclerk? What, are you nuts? It's so much easier to just wander the aisles randomly, go to several different stores, and then just buy "the only thing they had, will it work?" And since it's the wrong thing altogether, make sure you get it in bulk please DH. Thanks!
And pay twice the retail price. ;)

bubbaray
06-06-2009, 12:10 AM
And lose the receipt on the way home....

elliput
06-06-2009, 12:48 AM
My DH would gladly stop without complaining and come home with 7 Snickers bars or something. I *wish* that he'd make the cell phone call with the 5 options!!

:yeahthat: If I asked for Hershey bars, he would come home with some sort of organic dark chocolate bar with hazelnut bits that cost 5 times more than the Hershey bar. And then he would be pissy that I was not over the moon about the fabulous chocolate he brought home because it is so much better than Hersheys and he knows how much I appreciate good dark chocolate.

KrisM
06-06-2009, 08:16 AM
You guys are great!

He actually did come home with 2 Hershey bars, but they're the super big kind and were $1.99 each. But, they worked and I didn't have to run out.

He complained about it again, too.

Ceepa
06-06-2009, 08:35 AM
LOL! OK. Funny for us, not so funny for you. Hope it all worked out.

JTsMom
06-06-2009, 08:50 AM

And pay twice the retail price. ;)

And lose the receipt on the way home....

:hysterical:

DietCokeLover
06-06-2009, 09:31 AM
So glad to hear that this is a universal male problem. You know, all the drug companies are coming up with erectile dysfunction pills.... I really think they need to come up with male brain dysfunction pills. Now THAT would be a true service to society.

blisstwins
06-06-2009, 10:14 AM
even my husband cracked up!

LexyLou
06-06-2009, 02:09 PM
LOL! That's funny. It's the same with my husband. He calls 8 million times from the food store about EVERYTHING!

hillview
06-06-2009, 02:11 PM
This is ALL so familiar. UGG

My DH did this too. Went to 2 LARGE CVSs and came back saying they didn't have it (plain Children's Benadryl). Ok I don't BELIEVE you. And no, he didn't ask.

argh
/hillary

MartiesMom2B
06-06-2009, 03:45 PM
:yeahthat: If I asked for Hershey bars, he would come home with some sort of organic dark chocolate bar with hazelnut bits that cost 5 times more than the Hershey bar. And then he would be pissy that I was not over the moon about the fabulous chocolate he brought home because it is so much better than Hersheys and he knows how much I appreciate good dark chocolate.

This would be my husband. Then he'd get pissed when I say, "I specifically needed a Hershey bar, that's what I told you to get"

newg
06-06-2009, 04:03 PM
:ROTFLMAO:
OKay I've got one for you....
DH would get the Hershey bar for me....but also come home with eight bags of Doritos because they were on sale and practicly free!!

MamaMolly
06-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I love these posts because I LOVE reading them with DH. He *knows* I've tattled on his Man-Stupid antics, I'm sure! To quote one of my friends (much older married a looooooong time) 'this kinda stuff comes with the pen!$.' So now every time DH is stooooooopid I just think...comes with the pen!$.

niccig
06-06-2009, 08:16 PM
DH and his friend did this with tomatoes. We were at a friends getting ready for a BBQ and the guys went out to get a few things at the store. We call and tell them to add tomatoes for the salad to their list. THey call us back from the store..

"What tomatoes do you want?"
"Normal tomatoes"
"But there's several different kinds?"
"The ones I normally buy and cut into a salad?"
"Do you want the little round ones? (Plum) The oval ones? (Roma) Or there's ones that are on a vine?"

REally!!! It's that difficult?!!?

elizabethkott
06-06-2009, 09:26 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I've really started to believe that there are secret additional brain cells located in the VAGINA that enable us to complete simple tasks that are far beyond the capability of the average human male.
At least we all know we're in good company and not alone, yes?

DrSally
06-06-2009, 11:56 PM
haahah. My first thought, though, is that maybe he's afraid of letting you down by getting the wrong thing?

ladysoapmaker
06-07-2009, 12:12 PM
My DH has told me he won't go grocery shopping because I'll get mad at him for not using the coupons. And he won't use coupons because he doesn't understand my system for storing them and doesn't know what we have.

What's not to understand there are several different categories in the coupon holder and they are all labeled? Baking, Dairy, Canned Goods, Meats, Cereals & Bread, Household cleaning, etc... it's not that hard to open it up and pull them out and LOOK.

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. Men are funny.

egoldber
06-07-2009, 12:21 PM
DH will only use coupons if I pull out the coupons ahead of time and have them in a neat little pile with the list.

kijip
06-07-2009, 12:23 PM
This is my dad. He would so do so many of these things.

My husband OTH, would buy the darn Hershey's bars and they would be the right ones. But he might nibble on one on the way home and then have to go back for a replacement. :tongue5:

nov04
06-09-2009, 02:10 PM

btdt too. When I ask him if he asked the store staff, he looks at me like I'm crazy or something. Even though I ask him all the time to call me if he has a problem, he still doesn't!!! argh

BeccaB.
06-09-2009, 05:08 PM

:yeahthat: I get the 5 phone call thing too. Really have our DHs never actually looked around when they go to the store.

BeccaB.
06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Dude! How did you guys get your DH's to go to the grocery store by themselves. I can send DH for one thing, or get him to come with me, but if I asked him to go by himself........ "I'm too tired. I worked late today. Why can't you go? I'll watch the baby."

gatorsmom
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Dude! How did you guys get your DH's to go to the grocery store by themselves. I can send DH for one thing, or get him to come with me, but if I asked him to go by himself........ "I'm too tired. I worked late today. Why can't you go? I'll watch the baby."

Wait til your children are at the age where they are climbing the walls. Your DH'll be willing to do anything to stay away from the house. Ask me how I know! :ROTFLMAO:

niccig
06-09-2009, 08:08 PM
My DH went to the hardware store and came home with the herb plants I asked for. Cilantro, Italian Parsley and Sweet Marjoram. So, if he can do it at the hardware store, but not the grocery store, does that mean something happens to the male brain when he passes the entrance to a supermarket???

hellokitty1
06-09-2009, 10:19 PM
i try to fight the stereotype that women expect men to read their mind. so i'm always very specific about it and i always say quantity. but it makes no difference. if i say to "get two", he gets three or four. if i needed three or four, i would not say "two."

and we just keep the phone call short. our conversation is," i need you to get something at the store. call me when you get there and i'll tell you what to get and where it is."