PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin dosing based on weight?

maestramommy
06-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I was just reading that kids need 400 IU of Vit. D daily. I don't worry about Dora because she gets a multivitamin, But I was a little concerned about Arwyn. She is technically old enough to take the same half of a multi like Dora. But I'm wondering if the dosages are based on assumed weight like they are for OTC meds. Arwyn only weighs 22 lbs. I don't want to overdose her.

Does anyone know how much Vit D is in one dose of Trivisol? We have to get it for the next baby anyway, so if it's reasonable to give it to Arwyn as well I can.

jent
06-05-2009, 10:37 PM
From the Walgreens.com website Trivisol has 400 IU Vitamin D.

maestramommy
06-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Great, thanks!

jent
06-05-2009, 10:44 PM
And I also checked on chewable multis- they have 400 IU per tab, so if you're giving a half tab, they're only getting 200 IU. (The 400 IU is a new recommendation and I think the vitamin companies haven't yet caught up.)

DrSally
06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Trivisol has 400 mg of Vit D. I gave polyvisol to DS until he was over 2 yo, b/c I didn't really care about the other vitamins as much as I wanted him to get 400 mg of Vit D and no sugar, peanuts, milk, etc. that might be in chewables.

ETA: As pp said, if you give half a dose of a chewable, you'll only be getting 1/2 dose of vit D, and some chewables only have 200 mg. of D to begin with. You can also do Carlson's vit D drops.

maestramommy
06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
And I also checked on chewable multis- they have 400 IU per tab, so if you're giving a half tab, they're only getting 200 IU. (The 400 IU is a new recommendation and I think the vitamin companies haven't yet caught up.)

This is true. We give Dora half of the Flintstones multi. The bottle does say that 200 IU is 50% of the RDA, so I assume they are caught up. I am hoping that between the supplement, the OJ she gets once a day, and other food, she is getting enough. She's another lightweight (less than 30 lbs) so I'm not ready to give her the whole vitamin when she turns 4 this fall. Arwyn isn't getting any supplements at all, although she drinks milk. Not 400 IU worth though.