PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else always have a dominant breast when pumping?

JMS
06-06-2009, 10:52 PM
I just pumped (both sides at the same time) and got 3.5oz from the right side and only 1.5oz from the left. I thought DS2 drained both when he last nursed before going to bed.
Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to even it out?

amandabea
06-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Yeah, not only did I have an underproducing breast, but I was noticeably lopsided for 10 months!

DD had problems latching and I got a blister on one nipple while still in the hospital, so I didn't nurse much from that breast for the first week or so and then was never able to make up for it. When I pumped I could easily get 6+ oz from one and only 1-2 from the other (first pump of the day). Pumping a lot and taking fenugreek helped, but I was never able to pump as much from one breast.

pb&j
06-06-2009, 11:39 PM
Yep. I have never been able to get the production to be the same on both sides. I was mildly lopsided pre-kids, and am noticeably lopsided while nursing.

You can try always offering the lower-producing breast first, or pumping extra just on that side, but for some people (like me) it doesn't make a difference.

caheinz
06-07-2009, 01:29 AM
The same side produces more now -- while nursing twins! -- that did with DS1.

The twins are usually tandem nursed (once one sees the other eating....), and they get switched from side to side periodically. So, stimulation should be equal. And one still produces more 90% of the time at the pump.

jgenie
06-07-2009, 02:48 AM
Yes, for some reason I always had one breast that would produce more. I always start DS on the lower producer first, but even now at 16 months - the dominant breast produces more. :shrug:

ETA: I don't pump anymore, but my dominant breast is always fuller when DS nurses.

WatchingThemGrow
06-07-2009, 06:44 AM
I read the question first as "does anyone NOT have a dominant breast while pumping!"

vludmilla
06-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Definitely. My right breast always produced more and I pumped a lot for a long time and rarely did my left breast produce as much as the right.

Melaine
06-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Oh yeah. Left was bigger and produced more for me. I remember it distinctly.

kijip
06-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm a lefty in more ways than one. Easily get 75-150% more from the left than the right.

elephantmeg
06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
yep-righty here