PDA

View Full Version : Where to find Waldorf toys?

jgenie
06-07-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm looking for play food items. Most of the wood Plan Toys & Haba things are for 3+. TIA

Melaine
06-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I think pretty much everything says 3 plus now due to the new laws. I would be fine with any wooden toys as long as they are not small enough to be a choking hazard. We have the Melissa and Doug cutting food set and the Cookies and I think they are fine...

egoldber
06-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Just FYI, the Haba food is VERY small.

kayte
06-07-2009, 01:57 PM
How about fabric or felted wool? Esty has LOTS of choices. You can even search waldorf food- you'll get lots of results.

This shop has some nice waldorf inspired wooden food
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5477688

We have lots of HABA and Erzi food--it's beautiful but it's all tiny.

jgenie
06-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I think pretty much everything says 3 plus now due to the new laws. I would be fine with any wooden toys as long as they are not small enough to be a choking hazard. We have the Melissa and Doug cutting food set and the Cookies and I think they are fine...

Does the cutting food have exposed magnets?

Melaine
06-07-2009, 02:46 PM
The M & D cutting food has velcro, no magnets. I will say that there are a couple places where the paint has worn a little (not exactly chipped, just looks worn). And I suppose technically the velcro could come off but it seems unlikely. Personally, I think they would be fine as long as you are keeping an eye on him.

jgenie
06-07-2009, 03:47 PM
The M & D cutting food has velcro, no magnets. I will say that there are a couple places where the paint has worn a little (not exactly chipped, just looks worn). And I suppose technically the velcro could come off but it seems unlikely. Personally, I think they would be fine as long as you are keeping an eye on him.

It's good to know it's velcro, for some reason I was thinking it would have magnets and was worried about choking. :)

brittone2
06-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah, Haba is lovely but small!! But excellent quality.

I've purchased some lovely stuff on Etsy...chenillechef for ice cream cones. I have made some food too...not too hard (I needlefelted some cute cupcakes one year for the kids).

Erzi has some wooden food too. Not sure how the size compares to Haba.

jgenie
06-08-2009, 12:10 AM

Do you have any? Can you give me an example of sizes? I'm looking at the bell peppers, onions, radish and sliced watermelon and cantelope. Are the peppers/onions golfball size or tennis ball size? TIA

citymama
06-08-2009, 02:31 AM

:yeahthat:

and again: :yeahthat:

It's VERY small. So small that I am not going to get any for my 3+ yr old kid who still has a tendency to mouth things. I wouldn't dream of getting any for a kid born in 2008 (or 2007)! Strongly caution against it.

Plan Toys makes great play food. M&D's stuff is totally functional as well.

ETA I haven't seen the watermelons etc, but everything I have seen is sized not much bigger than a quarter - almost small enough to fit a large dollhouse rather than be used by a preschooler.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-08-2009, 02:39 AM
http://www.threesisterstoys.com/

Also oompa.com & Maukilo.com

neeleymartin
06-08-2009, 07:19 AM
I think pretty much everything says 3 plus now due to the new laws.

could someone fill me in on the new laws. i missed that.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Google CPSIA you will find tons of info!

ett
06-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Do you have any? Can you give me an example of sizes? I'm looking at the bell peppers, onions, radish and sliced watermelon and cantelope. Are the peppers/onions golfball size or tennis ball size? TIA

We have the onions and they are golf ball size. Mostly all the Haba food is very, very small.

brittone2
06-09-2009, 11:56 AM
We have the onions and they are golf ball size. Mostly all the Haba food is very, very small.

Yep...definite potential choking hazards. But very well made if your DC is beyond putting things in the mouth.

I'm going from memory, but I think our bell peppers would be too big to choke on. I don't have the other items you mentioned. Some sites have the dimensions listed. The M&D food is much larger in scale in comparison.