PDA

View Full Version : How to carry a 7 month old during errands?

swissair81
06-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Currently, I go into supermarkets with 2 children in my cart. My 2 year old sits in the front & my baby sits in his snugride in the back. He's starting to outgrow his infant seat, but doesn't really sit yet. I don't want to buy an infant seat with a higher weight limit, because it's too heavy for my terrible back & because I think it's a waste of money. So what carrier would be a good choice for errands in and out of the car. It should be easy to put on quickly & hopefully can also fit in my diaper bag. Also, it shouldn't make me immobile from back pain after the errands are over. I know this is starting to sound like the search for the $50 wonder stroller. But it would be great if someone can help. TIA.

larig
06-07-2009, 12:19 PM
my almost 1 yr old has never been in a cart. Since we've graduated from our infant seat at about 5 months we've used an ergo for all shopping trips. I can put it on in the car and it's really comfortable for me.

SnuggleBuggles
06-07-2009, 12:34 PM
In terms of small, some sort of sling, like a Hotsling, could work because it is not at all bulky. You can use it for a hip carry, perhaps. But, I would probably recommend the Beco or Ergo because you'll get more bang for your buck with them. I am using my Beco a bunch with my 18m old.

Beth

hobie
06-07-2009, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't recommend a one shoulder carry, like the hotsling, because of your stated bad back. I would go for a Calyx instead. Check out thebabywearer.com for more options.

Snow mom
06-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Another option is to put the infant seat in your trunk and continue to use it on errands. Technically he can still sit in it in a restaurant or at the store-- just not ride in it in the car anymore.

DebbieJ
06-07-2009, 06:48 PM
At that point I was using a Mei Tai on the back.

mamababa
06-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I agree that a structured carrier like the ERGO (or Pikkolo if he likes to face out) would be the best for your back. They aren't the most compact, though. A pouch sling is the most compact, but as pp said, the one-shouldered aspect makes it less like to be comfy for longer trips.

citymama
06-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I would highly recommend an Ergo Baby carrier - 7 months is the perfect age for it!

AngelaS
06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
I used a Bjorn.