PDA

View Full Version : Decorating a playroom. Help pick Expedit color....

ciw
06-07-2009, 01:51 PM
So I swore - SWORE - I would never, ever put a piece of Ikea's laminated glueboard 'furniture' in my house. I like the idea of real wood, furniture that can be buffed and refinished if a DC (or DH) smacks it a little too hard. So now that I'm in the middle of converting a guest room into a playroom, I had planned on picking up some furniture at a local consignment shop and refinishing it.
BUT YOU ARE ALL CONTAGIOUS!!!!!
I start reading your threads about the $49 Ikea Expedit sale and listening to you talk about how much you loved the stuff and I started thinking about how much faster I could finish the room if I didn't have to sand down and stain/paint furniture. And of course there would be no drawers to pinch little fingers and the sale price was certainly low enough.....
So I convinced DH to take a road trip to Ikea. Actually, it didn't take much convincing, I think he just agreed because 1) he thought I'd never go through with it and 2) if I did, it would be worth the trip to actually SEE me inside the store. He was convinced that no way, no how would I ever actually BUY the stuff.
Well, now dear ladies, I have not one but THREE unopened boxes of Expedit sitting in my house.
I'm not actually keeping them all. (DH's boss found out we were going and asked that we pick up two in different colors for his office which is being renovated. He didn't care what what colors though, so we picked up one of each.)
At any rate, the time has come for me to pick which one to keep and I could use some help. I'm leaning toward the white or the black though any of the colors would work with the decor (soft white walls, antique beige trim, white-on-white polka dot curtain, sky blue area rug, honey oak hardwood floor). The only other furniture in the room at the moment are a toddler-sized desk/ table/chair set in honey oak (about the same color as the floor). There is some black trim on the chair and desk.
My concern with going with the black Expedit is that a poster in a past thread indicated that it scratched and showed dust more easily than the other colors. Has anyone else had that experience with the baskets or toys scratching the Expedit? How has yours held up? Any thoughts on the colors? TIA!