PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your minerals makeup?

gatorsmom
06-07-2009, 04:21 PM
It's kinda messy. I started using Everyday minerals and bought some nice makeup brushes to use with it. I'm just wondering if there is a easy way to store it and have it handy when I want to use it.

I thought about putting it on a makeup tray on the counter with the brushes standing- bristles up ready to grab. But I think the brushes will collect dust and of course then the kids want to grab them. I thought about just tossing them all into a makeup bag like I had my old "toxic" makeup (;) ) but the excess powder falls off the brushes and off the makeup containers and into the bottom of the bag, gets on the other brushes, just gets really messy.

Is there a better way? What do you do?

Ceepa
06-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm interested in replies because mine are in a bag in the linen closet right now. They are messy and DC are too curious to leave them out. Before I close up my bag I give each brush a whack on the side of my hand a couple of times to reduce excess dust, but there must be a better way.

LarsMal
06-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, when everything is where it belongs (HA!) I keep my brushes in a glass container on my counter- bristles up. I don't worry about dust b/c I use them all the time and clean them pretty regularly.

My makeup is usually on the counter, too. I do have a tray in the drawer of my vanity so when I do get around to cleaning up I sit it in there. My kids know better than to touch my makeup! They are too busy touching everything else anyway- hair dryer, brushes, etc!

gatorsmom
06-07-2009, 06:12 PM
I do have a tray in the drawer of my vanity so when I do get around to cleaning up I sit it in there.

Where did you get your tray? That might be a good solution and a good reason to clean out our messy bathroom drawer!

Melaine
06-07-2009, 06:19 PM
I have tried a couple options. Now I have a train case and it works well. I love that I can just close it and take it if I am leaving town. I can also stick it under my sink if I feel like cleaning up, but I don't usually do that. Mine is a Kaboodle I think.

MarisaSF
06-07-2009, 06:21 PM
I have a divided clear acrylic makeup tray that I got at The Container Store, I believe. I'd recommend individual boxes instead so you can clean one at a time if necessary.

I keep mine in the top drawer of my bathroom.

Eta-- we have individual trays in our kitchen desk drawer I use fun tak to keep the boxes from sliding around.

Thatchermom
06-07-2009, 06:25 PM
I took over a shelf in the medicine cabinet so it was up higher. It wasn't the kids - DH kept knocking it around and I was ending up with most of the product on top of the sifter, it was driving me nuts. Brushes are upright in a toothbrush holder that has really wide holes. Not really worried about dust. If you ask DH, most of the dust in my bathroom is MMU anyway.

wendibird22
06-07-2009, 07:39 PM
I have my brushes in a make up brush bag (it's like a pencil bag) and I keep the make up in one of those little plastic baskets in a drawer in my vanity. I use BE and don't seem to have a problem with excess minerals on my brushes or my containers being messy.

LarsMal
06-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Where did you get your tray? That might be a good solution and a good reason to clean out our messy bathroom drawer!

I just bought a plastic utensil tray at BB&Beyond. Works great!

sdjeppa
06-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I have a small plastic 3 drawer container (I got it in the craft section of target, I think - its about 9in x 9in or so?). one drawer is brushes/mascara, one is foundation/blush, and one is eye color. Works great, and the containers don't get tossed around much that way. I leave it on the counter, but it can be stowed under the sink when I need it to. :)

ray7694
06-07-2009, 09:02 PM
I am interesed in trying this makeup but where do you start?

Melaine
06-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Here is a super deal on Bare Minerals, coincidentally:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2389907#post2389907

Jenny_A
06-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Go to http://www.mineralmadness.com. If you go into their general chat area and search "storage" it will give you lots of ideas with pictures. Some of these women have hundreds of BM pots (I think eye shadows mostly). I was a little surprised by the quantity they had. Can you really use THAT much makeup?! I think it was more about collecting and less about wearing. But anyway, there you go... :)

hellokitty
06-07-2009, 11:28 PM
I use something like this: http://sterilite.com/Category.html?Section=Storage&ProductCategory=144#

However, the one I have has an extra lift top section on top and also an area where I can put brushes in it. I usually store it under the sink, so I don't have to worry about my kids getting into it by accident. The one I got IS sterilite (although I can't find it on their site), I got it at Big Lots, it was less than $8. It is really perfect for mineral make up.

gatorsmom
06-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Go to http://www.mineralmadness.com. Some of these women have hundreds of BM pots (I think eye shadows mostly). I was a little surprised by the quantity they had. Can you really use THAT much makeup?! I think it was more about collecting and less about wearing. But anyway, there you go... :)

Holy Cow!! Most of those women have over 200 eyeshadow colors. One poster has over 600!! Most of the posters say they are addicted to buying them. And i'm just trying to figure out when I'll use the 4 colors I just bought....

Globetrotter
06-08-2009, 02:00 AM
I have a divided clear acrylic makeup tray that I got at The Container Store,

I have acrylic makeup organizers from the Container Store (they join together like a puzzle so I got what I needed). This works out fine for me. I keep the pots in one section and brushes in another, lipsticks in another, etc... I'm sure there is makeup dust floating around, but I don't notice it :D

gatorsmom
06-08-2009, 02:06 AM
I have acrylic makeup organizers from the Container Store (they join together like a puzzle so I got what I needed). This works out fine for me. I keep the pots in one section and brushes in another, lipsticks in another, etc... I'm sure there is makeup dust floating around, but I don't notice it :D

Do you have a link? I searched the Container store for makeup storage and didnt' see individual boxes. That sounds like what I might need.

Globetrotter
06-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Look in the middle of this page:
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/index.jhtml?CATID=71793&howMany=999&viewAll=true

You can put those together. I think I have the cosmetic tray pictured here but added some stuff to it! http://www.containerstore.com/search/searchresults.jhtml?search=lipstick

I think I bought the lipstick organizer separately, so maybe mine is a little different.

Jenny_A
06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Holy Cow!! Most of those women have over 200 eyeshadow colors. One poster has over 600!! Most of the posters say they are addicted to buying them. And i'm just trying to figure out when I'll use the 4 colors I just bought....

Crazy, isn't it?! It must just be about the collecting. I can't imagine being able to wear all those colors. I think you can still get some good tips and storage ideas from the site though.

I just use BM foundation and mineral veil. Everything else I use is Clinique, including eye color. And I only have 3 eye shadow colors. I like to keep my makeup drawer simple!