PDA

View Full Version : Best leakproof straw cups for toddlers?

ang79
06-07-2009, 09:10 PM
I always take a straw cup of water for my 2.5 yr. old when we are out and about. I have two Munchkin ones and two that are similar to the Nuby ones but they are made be Giant grocery store. They all worked OK for awhile but lately I've noticed a lot of leaking. Not a big deal to me since its just water, but DD is a bit of a clean freak and won't use it if it drips or leaks on her. DH is also tired of them leaking on furniture if she uses them at home and is ready to toss them (I'll freecycle them) but I'd like something to replace them with, other than the Playtex sippies we have (need to start getting her off those). I was looking at the Playtex Coolster tumblers because I know I can buy a bulk set at BJ's for a decent price. Also interested in the Contigo cups and wish I would have picked them up when I saw them at BJ's a few months ago, but I haven't seen them since. Or does anyone know if Sam's Club carries them? Any other recommendations for value cups that won't leak?

TIA!
Angie

DrSally
06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
The munchkin leaked right away for me. I like the playtex straw cups and the playtex coolsters. I've never had leakes with the playtex straw sups. I bought some of the Contigo cups at Costco, but am waiting on using those with DS. Also, I've recently bought a frogo and an Intex child's child's straw cup (both in Target's camping section) for DS.

Fairy
06-07-2009, 09:26 PM
We do a lot of car and furniture drinking and are STILL using sippies there only. Must get him off those. Regular everywhere but car and couch, for which we use take and toss. Eagerly looking to this thread to help us with a good straw cup to replace, like, yesterday. Don't like munchkin. Will look at platex

DrSally
06-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Playtex straw cups are the only valve straw cup that I've found to be pretty dependable. DS drinks them on the sofa, but if I give him a cup for his crib, I still give him a sippy there.

ang79
06-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks mamas! Sounds like Playtex is the way to go. I've always loved their insulated sippy cups and have never had any problems with leaks (unless DD turned them upside down and banged them on the table then sometimes a few drops of milk would come out). Does the Coolster have a similar valve system as the sippies? Can you use it without the valve?

DrSally
06-08-2009, 09:14 AM
The coolster has the exact same valve system as the other playtex sippies. I haven't tried using it wo/the valve, but I suppose you could. I will say, that the coolster is more likely to leak (if it gets tipped over) than the straw cup.

Also, DS has been using his frogo and Intex (thermos) plastic straw cup (from the camping section of Target) instead of sippies lately. Both work fine for the sofa and car, unless they're tipped over (the intex esp. will leak).

SnuggleBuggles
06-08-2009, 10:06 AM
The Playtex ones we have are awesome. The lid has marks on it that indicate that it is screwed on tight. No leaks here.

Beth

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
06-08-2009, 01:36 PM
I like the NUBY with the straw, especially since the lid can cover the straw.

kmak
06-08-2009, 01:50 PM
We've had great luck with the Take-n-Toss straw cups. The straws are hard to get in the first time, but they don't leak. We just leave the straw in place through the dishwasher. DD has been using them for 2 yrs now and they're still going great. Also, they're BPA free.

egoldber
06-08-2009, 01:56 PM
I use the Take N Toss cups at home. Out and about we use the Rubbermaid Littlerless boxes. I love those the best.

gobadgers
06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
I have one Foogo straw cup (made by Thermos), that is the only one I use out of the house anymore. I love it (although I'm not sure I've tried the Playtex one thats getting raves). To me, it was worth the extra $$ because we use it and wash it every day.

At home, we use take-n-toss straw cups too, but they are a little TOO airtight - DD has trouble getting anything out of them! So we poked holes in the tops, now they will leak a little if flipped but at least the poor girl can drink.

ang79
06-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Had to run to BJ's today and the only straw cups they had were the Munchkin ones, so I picked up a 3-pack of the Playtex Coolsters for $11 to try out. DD was excited because some of her friends from playgroup have the exact same cups, so hopefully they work for her!

BTW, those with the Playtex straw cups, where do you find them at? Wal-Mart only had Nuby straw cups and I don't think I've seen them at our Target either....

DrSally
06-08-2009, 09:46 PM
It's been a long time since I got ours, but I think they were at Target. If all else fails, BRU has a bigger selection of sippies.