PDA

View Full Version : wet at night after months of being PT-ed

justincase
06-08-2009, 09:45 AM
The last three nights, DS has wet the bed in the middle of the night. He wakes up crying, cold and confused, and then seems really embarrassed / upset (despite our being totally low-key about it) once he realizes what's happened. He's been totally PT-ed for about 7 months, and was dry at night for *long* before he was PT-ed during the day -- like several months -- (Is this backwards, by the way?) -- so we have never dealt with this before.

I can think of lots of reasons *why* this might be happening but my question is *what* we should do about it. I feel like he'd be really downcast to be put into a Pull-Up. Do I just suck it up and keep changing the bed and hope it doesn't keep happening?

Momof3Labs
06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I'd just put him in a pull-up (tell him that it is to help his bed stay dry at night) until this passes. I wouldn't make a big deal out of the wetting - if you treat that as no big deal, hopefully the pull-up won't be a big deal either.

citymama
06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
He's been totally PT-ed for about 7 months, and was dry at night for *long* before he was PT-ed during the day -- like several months -- (Is this backwards, by the way?) -- so we have never dealt with this before.

----

Do I just suck it up and keep changing the bed and hope it doesn't keep happening?

Well, my DD trained daytime first, so it's the opposite of us but I don't know if I'd call it backwards! ;) Seems very impressive that he is night-trained so young.

I've read and been told that physiologically speaking, they are ready for night-training closer to 4 than 3. There are 3 yr olds night-trained, but it's definitely challenging for them to do so consistently - just like it's hard for an 18 month to be accident-free if day-trained. My DD is a month older than your son, and has been daytime "trained" since about 2. The first several months we had accidents daily or weekly. Then from about 2.5 years, very rare daytime accidents, and at 3, she can sleep dry through her nap. She is nowhere close to night-trained and I don't plan to push it.

In your case, maybe you could either a) very gently either encourage him to wear a pull-up or underjams (the pull-ups that look like undies) during the night or b) be willing to wake up at night to take him to the potty. You could also put one of those plastic covers over his underwear so if he pees at night, he wakes up but doesn't get the sheets wet.

Just wondering if his liquid intake has changed before bedtime or during the night? I wouldn't stress out about it, but definitely be sensitive to his ego and self-esteem (as you are already doing) so he doesn't feel like he is being "punished" in any way. All the best!