PDA

View Full Version : Best monitor??? It seems like they all are disappointing

mollyrryan
06-08-2009, 01:48 PM
We are in search of a good baby monitor. It seems like all of them get bad reviews ~ even the iMonitor which the Baby Bargains book recommends. We would prefer a rechargeable digital monitor, but just want to make sure we get the best of what seems like the worst! Thank you

pb&j
06-08-2009, 02:20 PM
We love our Sony Babycall. So much that we have two, one for each kid. The parent unit is rechargeable. A little big and bulky compared to some of the newer ones, but that's fine by me.

Occasionally, it will beep out of range when we know full well it is not. Usually all we have to do is just move it an inch or so and it's fine again.

I especially like that the receiver isn't always "on" - it is noise activated, so you don't have to listen to static, or every little rustle. I've never had trouble with it not coming on when the baby was talking/crying, but I do wish the squelch were adjustable for those days when you want to hear a little more/less.

ETA: DS's monitor is 3.5 years old and still going strong.

azzeps
06-11-2009, 11:51 PM
We have a Sony Babycall too, and so far, so good!

TonFirst
06-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Babycall, all the way! We have one for each child and they are the greatest. I had one ill-fated foray with the Graco digital monitor after an overseas trip fried my original Babycall (many appliances and computers have the range to be fine with a plug adapter - but not the babycall, I learned) and it is awful.

pastrygirl
06-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Another vote for the Sony Babycall!

jenny
06-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Yup. Sony Baby Call. You can hear everything on this thing.

arivecchi
06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Yup. Sony Baby Call. You can hear everything on this thing.:yeahthat:

swrc00
06-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Sony babycall!!! We have a very "digital house". We have computer servers in our house. Our neighbor also has a babycall and we have never heard their child through our monitor. We love it!!!

mommy2amelia
06-12-2009, 06:53 PM
We love our FP Lights and Sound. We thought we'd go w/a video monitor but this one has been just fine.....we have 3 levels of living and have never had a prob w/reception; I also bring it outside w/o a prob.

L'sMommy
06-16-2009, 06:46 AM
agree with PPs. Go with Sony Babycall.

Gena
06-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Another fan of the Sony Babycall here!

Melarina
06-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Sony babycall and the Angelcare one have both worked for us.

endlessheather
06-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Love the Babycall. We've had it since 2006 and still works great, even after a small um accident involving it getting thrown into the bath tub! It dried out and still works! I thought we were going to have to buy another but nope, still ticking! The monitor has some awesome range too!

codex57
06-17-2009, 02:38 PM
We have the Sony too. No complaints.

nellonello
06-17-2009, 07:38 PM
We like our Angelcare.

Melbel
06-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Another fan of the Sony Babycall with no complaints even though we have wireless internet, cordless phones etc.

Melbel
06-17-2009, 09:26 PM
double post

AnnieBee
06-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Is it possible to use the Sony BabyCall as a two way "radio?" One of my girlfriends said that her monitor (10 years ago) had the option that she could on her receiver talk to her kids on the monitor in their room--so that if they were playing and not sleeping, she'd tell them to get back in bed without actually going to their room. I'd like to know if the Sony works that way. Thanks!

happymom
06-21-2009, 10:28 PM
I just bought the Sony Babycall after reading all the positive feedback in this thread. I actually had received an older model fisher price monitor for free from a friend and it had horrible static so I decided to buy a different one. Anyways, the Sony has the same static as the fisher price did!! What am I doing wrong? I have the dual receiver monitor. All of the units set to the same frequency, i tried setting it to "voice activated" and to "on" and I have horrible static either way. Help!!

Anniebee, as far as I can see this monitor cannot be used as a 2-way "radio".

happymom
06-23-2009, 05:40 PM
bumping this up....anyone have any tips for me? I feel like the only one who is unhappy with this monitor! I can't figure out what I could be doing wrong. Thanks

arivecchi
06-23-2009, 05:49 PM
If I were you I would call Sony customer service and ask. They may know what is causing the interference. Just a thought....

happymom
06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for your reply ariveraz. Actualy I called fisher price when I had the issues with my first monitor and they just told me standard stuff- keep away from window, place high up, not near electronics....I guess I kinda just assumed that Sony would tell me the same thing.

For all the Babycall users: did you find that most of the 27 channels worked for you, or did you really have to try out a lot of different channels till you found the one that worked?

Also, the only thing I can think of is that maybe its all the electronics...we have laptop with FIOS and a bunch of portable phones, plus our cell phones. But thats a pretty average amount of electronic to me- I would think all of you have the same, no?

arivecchi
06-23-2009, 05:59 PM
I once called Sony for another product and they were so incredibly helpful that I would give that a try. I'm thinking there must be something specific in your house that is causing this. I did not have to try that many channels in order for mine to work (I have 2) and we have tons of wireless stuff in the house.

pastrygirl
06-23-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't remember trying a bunch of channels. All yellows worked for me. :)

I don't have it near any other electronics, though. It's in my bedroom, and we don't keep cell phones or computers in there. I do have it by a cordless phone, but it's one of those new technology ones that supposedly doesn't interfere with anything.