PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Baby Cereal with Iron?

eidean
06-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I've been thinking of blending up my own rice and oatmeal cereals for DS (7 months) but I know that the storebought stuff is fortified with extra iron. Does anyone know of something I could add to my own cereal to do that--or do people not think it's necessary? He's still mostly BF, with cereal twice a day and some sort of fruit or veggie once a day.

Thanks!

jren
06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I know there's a vitamin the doc can prescribe with iron, but it's horrible tasting. Maybe research some other iron rich foods? Not sure if there's anything good for a 7 month old?

lovebeingamom
06-15-2009, 04:24 PM
I made food for DD and now DS ... I truly enjoy it!!!! Because I was not using store-bought infant cereal (rice, oatmeal, etc.) - pedi told me to use OTC Poly-Vi-Sol with IRON. It really does taste, and smell, bad - but so far I was blessed with DC who take it well.

I guess you could mix it in the cereal with some fruit or something ... might not be as bad.

Snow mom
06-15-2009, 05:12 PM
My pedi told me I could do meat for iron if I didn't want to do store bought food, but she's pretty liberal with food timing. I was a bit surprised she didn't suggest doing an iron supplement because she's been pushing the vit D supplements.