PDA

View Full Version : Using two sets of monitors in one house?

writing_girl
06-08-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure if this has been covered before as I have no idea how to search for it, so if anyone knows of a link on here, I'd love to see it.

Anyway, my questions is with having two different sets of monitors in one house. I have an old Fisher Price Sound N Lights set for my son who still needs it as he wakes up in the night (just turned 2). Now with another baby about to arrive we're going to need to buy another set of monitors. Would it be best to buy the same brand and model as the first one or a different one? I really like the sound of the Graco Ultra Clear II ones (good reviews) but when I looked them up they're on the same frequency as the Fisher Price ones. I assume that's bad? Both brands have the two channel option but I remember one channel just being static.

What would be best to do? Same brand or different? Find a different new one that's not on the same frequency? I'm wanting to buy the second set soon as the baby is due anytime now so any help would be great. TIA!

Lisa

o_mom
06-08-2009, 04:40 PM
It really is just trial and error, unfortunately. We have had some that work fine together and some that interfere. We mainly use a multi-room monitor now (Safety 1st one) to reduce clutter.

tny915
06-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Be sure to buy from a store that will allow you to return, like Target or Babies R Us. Then you just have to try them out. I have 3 monitors set up along with wi-fi and cordless phones that run on a similar frequency to monitors. I have 2 different FP Sound and Lights and an old Mobicam video monitor.

In my house, I have rejected the Sony Babycall, the Graco iMonitor Vibe and one or two others. I also rejected an old FP Sound and Lights that I used for my oldest that worked fine until I added a 3rd monitor to the mix. I was literally buying monitors on a weekly basis to try them out. It all depends on your house and your own particular setup. Based on my experience, try a different frequency, although the same frequency can work if there are a lot of channels to choose from.