PDA

View Full Version : Terrible insomnia but still functioning. Thoughts?

ha98ed14
06-09-2009, 03:41 AM
The past few weeks I have had 3+ hours of insomnia from 2-5 am. I know I am worried about a myriad of things. Housing situation; looming CA state budget problems that directly impact us; my dad's cancer; DD starting therapy for her sensory issues; etc. But the last two nights I have not slept at all. Last night I fell asleep for an hour between 5 and 6 AM. But today I functioned fine. Tonight, I feel the same thing happening. It's after 12:30 and I don't feel my body winding down at all. What does this say about me? The worries aren't gonna go away anytime soon. Should I get some sleeping pills or just live with it. I did lose my cool with DD this evening. Not sure if it's cause I was tired or she was being more crabby and difficult than she normally is as the witching hour.

egoldber
06-09-2009, 06:30 AM
I had chronic insomnia for years. Several things work for me that I try in this order...

1) making lists

2) relaxation CDs for bedtime

3) increasing exercise and yoga

4) Ambien

Sometimes I need just one Ambien for one night to break a cycle. But mainly I use the other techniques because they help me get at the real issue, an ability to mentally shut down and relax enough to fall asleep.

Melbel
06-09-2009, 06:37 AM
I am sorry you are having a rough time. Cumulative lack of sleep is no fun. Have you tried exercising as a way to burn off extra stress? In around 2002, I started taking ambien due to early waking around 1 am. It really helped and I did not have that icky medicated hangover feeling the next day. As the insomnia improved, I was able to take 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet at 1 or 2 am IF I woke up and would still be OK the next day. It sounds as though you may also benefit from some anxiety meds, but of course, you would want to discuss this with your doctor. It also sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now and may just need a little help to get things back on track. Even if your sleepless nights have not caught up to you yet, it will soon. I hope that things get better for you soon!

KathyN115
06-09-2009, 08:24 AM
First, hugs!!! It is no fun being up in the middle of the night. And, for some reason, the night is so short while you are sleeping but endlessly L_O_N_G while awake!

I have been dealing with similar insomnia for the past few months. I tried Tylenol PM which worked OK, but would give me a "hangover" in the a.m. I sometimes use Lunesta which works great, but I don't want to take it all the time. I have found that taking Melatonin before bed has been a lifesaver. The pills I bought are 5 mg, I think it also comes in 3 mg. One before bed, and I have been sleeping!!! I would definitely try it.

Good luck!

LBW
06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
I, too, have chronic insomnia. It had gotten so bad a few months ago that I wasn't getting more than 30-45 minutes of sleep at a time and I was wide awake from about 2-5 a.m. Not good.

My doctor prescribed ambien, but I was reluctant to take it. I finally broke down and tried it, and it is amazing. I'd still wake up during the night, but I could easily fall back asleep. I took it once or twice a week for a few weeks, and now my sleep is much better. I still don't sleep all night, and I occasionally have nights where I'm awake most of the night (like last night. sigh) but I'm much better. I think the ambien just reminded my body how to sleep!

justincase
06-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Me, too. My insomnia crops up in times of stress, can't turn the brain off, can't feel any winding down like OP said. Exercise (for me first thing in the morning worked well) definitely helped. But the last time I tried that was before DC's and I honestly don't know how I'd fit it in now, so I don't know if that's a realistic suggestion. A long bath a little before bedtime will raise your temperature and then you'll get sleepy as you cool back off. The bath itself is also therapeutic. And I've also used Ambien with great success at the very end of both my pg's -- no hangover, no scary side effects for me -- just a wonderful feeling of dropping into sleep as it as about to kick in.

sste
06-09-2009, 10:11 AM
Terrible insomnia here - - I am actually going to a sleep clinic next month for treatment. I agree with exercise but do it in the morning or mid-day, not in the evening. You must wake up at the same time every morning (ideally go to bed at same time too). This one sucks but if you can't sleep get out of bed, go to another room, and do some low-interest activity, such as reading. No caffeine after 1pm. I have had good luck with melatonin. I habituated to ambien and it stopped working for me - - and I had rebound insomnia on it. Try the melatonin first, you must take it 1-2 hours before bedtime.

ha98ed14
06-09-2009, 12:28 PM
First, hugs!!! It is no fun being up in the middle of the night. And, for some reason, the night is so short while you are sleeping but endlessly L_O_N_G while awake!

I have been dealing with similar insomnia for the past few months. I tried Tylenol PM which worked OK, but would give me a "hangover" in the a.m. I sometimes use Lunesta which works great, but I don't want to take it all the time. I have found that taking Melatonin before bed has been a lifesaver. The pills I bought are 5 mg, I think it also comes in 3 mg. One before bed, and I have been sleeping!!! I would definitely try it.

Good luck!

Is melatonin a drug like Ambian or a supplement? It sounds like the thing in your skin that makes you get a tan, but I doubt it...

niccig
06-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm dealing with insomnia as well. I checked my thyroid levels as I'm hypothyroid, but they are fine, and this feels different to my thyroid is off symptoms. My endocrinologist wouldn't prescribe sleeping pills as he said they can throw off your normal sleeping patterns. First he wanted me to try:

regular bed time
regular wake up time
exercise - even walking around the block is good
get some outdoor time every day for the sun
regular meal times and do not eat after 7pm - he said the 7pm not eating is important so that you're not digesting food as you sleep. He tells all his diabetic patients to do this to help regulate blood sugar levels and that it would help all people as well.

I also need to have no screen time before bed, so I've started reading before bedtime.
I've been doing it for a week, and I am sleeping better except for last night - DH was snoring more than normal and I went to bed after him.

If this doesn't work, I'm to go back in a couple of weeks and discuss other options.

I hope you figure out something that works for you. I feel your pain.

KathyN115
06-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Is melatonin a drug like Ambian or a supplement? It sounds like the thing in your skin that makes you get a tan, but I doubt it...

Melatonin is a supplement, I bought it at Target near the vitamins. Melanin is what gives your skin color. They sound very similar. Too bad i can't take melanin as well, I am so pale!

rwiklendt
06-11-2009, 12:37 AM
I have had similar issues and can totally relate. Two things I found that really helped. I discovered my Allegra D was a big source of the problem, so maybe there is something you're taking that you have not considered? This was causing much more of an insomnia feeling than just something on my mind and I couldn't sleep. Second, one Walgreen's PM Pain Relief helps me tremendously for stress sleeplessness. Both of my parents raved about it and it has worked for me also. Two is too much and I feel groggy the next morning, but one does the trick! Good luck!!

bubbaray
06-11-2009, 12:46 AM
I get like that when my thyroid is HYPER. My biological clock goes completely wacky and I can't sleep at night and only want to sleep during the day. Its actually a symptom of hyperthyroidism to have your circadian rhythm go all wacky.