PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy butterfly larvae

infomama
06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
My Mom bought Dd1 one of those netted butterfly gardens but I lost the certificate to order the butterfly larvae/food. Anyone have a suggestions for a reputable seller?

cdlamis
06-09-2009, 10:45 AM
www.insectlore.com

Probably the same company that makes your habitat. I like it since you can keep the habitat and order more larvae in the future. Have fun!

infomama
06-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Faboo...thanks much!

kransden
06-09-2009, 12:31 PM
DD school has used them and they do a good job. The butterflies were great!

Raidra
06-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Not to be a buzzkill, but..

You might want to check local independent pet stores, they might have info on where to get native species. If you order from a different geographical location, the butterflies will not survive when you release them.

kayte
06-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Not to be a buzzkill, but..

You might want to check local independent pet stores, they might have info on where to get native species. If you order from a different geographical location, the butterflies will not survive when you release them.

It's more likely that a local feed and seed or garden shop will have larvae than a pet store. Ours have preying mantis eggs, ladybugs larvae and at certain times of the year Texas butterfly caterpillars.

That said I personally have ordered from Insect Lore and think they are great.

With the noted except of the monarch butterfly which can live up to 8 months (and migrates through fall and winter) most butterflies have lifespan limited to about 2 weeks (with males living even shorter).

hellokitty1
06-09-2009, 03:14 PM
www.insectlore.com (http://www.insectlore.com)

Probably the same company that makes your habitat. I like it since you can keep the habitat and order more larvae in the future. Have fun!

this is where we got ours too.

With the noted except of the monarch butterfly which can live up to 8 months (and migrates through fall and winter) most butterflies have lifespan limited to about 2 weeks (with males living even shorter).

the ones from insectlore only live for two weeks. i was surprised that bfly's lifespan was only this long.