PDA

View Full Version : 11 months old on Friday - is a little whole milk OK?

sarahsthreads
06-09-2009, 12:25 PM
DH was out of town all last week, so I didn't go into the shop to work, nor did I pump. Well, tonight I'm working, but for some reason the extra bag I try to keep in the freezer is gone - probably because I hate pumping and don't do it regularly enough! I only managed to pump 3 oz. of milk during DD2's nap. She takes about 4.5 oz. at bedtime when DH puts her to bed.

Can I make up the difference with whole milk tonight?

I feel really badly because it's not like I couldn't have pumped a little over the past few days, I just sort of lost track of things because I haven't worked in almost two weeks. I think what happened was I got home so late that last night I worked I just skipped pumping and never really got around to it later that week. :(

DD2 has had yogurt, cheese and sour cream (and, um, ice cream) with no issues, so I'm not as worried about milk intolerance as much as nutrition - she nurses 4-5 times per day and this would take the place of one of those feedings.

Thanks,
Sarah

deenass
06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
I beleive that the biggest issue with milk before age 1 is not an allery one, but the fact that cow milk does NOT contain all of the nutrients found in breast milk (or formula) and so peds don't wnat people replacing costlier formula with whole milk (which I'm sure many people would tend to do).

That being said, I nursed DS until he was a year but did offer him a cup with formula at around 10 mos. He drank some (but not a ton) and it seemed dumb (to me) to be giving him formula in a cup, so I chose to give him whole mik in a cup with his solids. I continue to BF and the milk was not a replacement for any of those sessions.

pb&j
06-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Go right ahead. DS started having small amounts of cow's milk at around 11 mos.

lorinick
06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
I started with ds1 at 10 months when my friend started hers at the same time and she is a ped. He's going to be nine and no issues. DS2 started at 11months now 22mts.

JBaxter
06-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Yes I'd say its fine. I wouldnt do tons but lots of babies get milk before a year

boltfam
06-09-2009, 03:08 PM
I gave DS some milk at 11 mo., too, because he had been EBF and I didn't want to buy formula for like 2 weeks.

stillplayswithbarbies
06-09-2009, 04:47 PM
my older daughter couldn't tolerate cow's milk until she was 15 months old. We just kept trying once a month until she could handle it without stomach upset issues.

frgsnlzrds
06-09-2009, 04:58 PM
My son was 11 months old when I had to stop nursing because I was pregnant with my daughter (not my choice, there were complications). His pedi said to just give him milk, that it wasn't worth it to go out and get formula for just a month.

MommyofAmaya
06-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Just saw the pedi on Friday for my 10.5 month old. He is a slow gainer and pedi said I could offer him whole milk with meals to supplement breastfeeding.

sarahsthreads
06-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone!

Turns out DH didn't give her any of the whole milk I bought anyway - DD2 nursed not long before I left for work, and he put her to bed less than an hour later because she was acting super sleepy, so he figured the 3 oz. would be plenty.

Now to figure out something to do with the half gallon of whole milk I bought...

Sarah :)