PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Diaper Genie?

bw52
06-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I've heard the Diaper Genie is a waste of money. True? What do you use? Just a regular trash can? Or is there something better that keeps the smell down?

arivecchi
06-09-2009, 01:30 PM
I have two Diaper Champs and they work just fine. You can just use regular kitchen trash bags.

SnuggleBuggles
06-09-2009, 01:51 PM
The earth loving mama in me has enough guilt in using disposables without thinking of individually wrapping each diaper in plastic. So, I flush solid waste (breastfed poop doesn't really smell bad so I didn't flush that) and toss the diaper in a regular trash can that gets emptied pretty often. It is not a big deal at all. If the diaper still smells bad after flushing the waste then i take it to the outside trash can.

Beth

BeccaB.
06-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I use Sassy bags from Walmart but only for the poopy diapers. Then I toss them in the trash can with a lid. Every time I take the trash out I spray the inside of the can with Lysol and then the inside of the bag once the new one is in the can.

P.S. How do you get the pooh off the diaper and into the toilet? DS has really mushy diapers I can't imagine trying to get it off.

sunshine873
06-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Like pp, I use the baby powder scented bags for poopy diapers. (either blue Sassy bags or green Especially for Baby.) I don't even have a trash can in the nursery, as it's right around the corner from the kitchen. The kitchen garbage can gets emptied almost every day and the smell stays contained in the scented bag for that amount of time. It's never a problem. Plus, I have 2 dogs and those bags are great for picking up dog poop on a walk! I love things that can multi-task! :bighand:

Sweetum
06-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I actually like the diaper genie :)
I have the diaper genie elite. I use it only for poopy diapers. And it does a great job of keeping smells out. I don't take the poopy trash out every week, and my bathroom (which is where we put the DG) has never smelled. Also, if you're concerned about buying refills, there was a thread about using regular trash bags with the diaper genie: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=323116&highlight=genie

mikeys_mom
06-09-2009, 08:04 PM
We just put all diapers straight into the main can in the kitchen which is emptied at least twice a day. No problems with smell. We used a Diaper Genie with DS and in retrospect, emptying it was a real pain.

SnuggleBuggles
06-09-2009, 08:45 PM
I use Sassy bags from Walmart but only for the poopy diapers. Then I toss them in the trash can with a lid. Every time I take the trash out I spray the inside of the can with Lysol and then the inside of the bag once the new one is in the can.

P.S. How do you get the pooh off the diaper and into the toilet? DS has really mushy diapers I can't imagine trying to get it off.

It gets firmer as they get older. I just wad up a bit of toilet paper and give it a nudge off the diaper. It comes right off. Takes no time at all and I cut down the odor so much.

Beth

pantrygirl
06-09-2009, 08:55 PM
I heard that as well but since it was my first and I was adamant about it (blame it on the hormones and nesting), we got a diaper dekor.

Honestly, I really like the diaper dekor. It really contained the smell and the refills lasted forever.

We eventually moved away from the dekor even though it was great for several reasons.

1. Because the smell was contained, DH kept forgetting to empty it which added to my chore list.
2. BG outgrew her changing table and became mobile leading to diaper changes on the floor and record pace. It made no sense for us to change her on the floor and walk the diaper over to the dekor from wherever we were when we could easily just trash it in the trashbin in the room.

Now, we just use the trashbin in the room for her wets and for the solids, we trash it in our kitchen trash. We dispose of the trash nightly in the kitchen and empty the room trash every other day.

We haven't had to deal with smell issues with this process.

For us, the dekor/genie/champ, worked for us when she was a newborn and diaper changes were copious and we had a solitary place to change our daughter. But as she became mobile and outgrew her changing station, we opted simplified things by using the regular trash bin.

Hope this helps.

newg
06-09-2009, 10:27 PM
We have the diaper champ and love it....use the odor blocking trash bags; same as in kitchen....and change it every few days.....I like not having to remember special diaper trash bags for DD's room..
I don't know how the other ones work..but with the champ you toss the diaper in the hole at the top and flip the top over....it's pretty easy to use and I like not having to touch the really nasty diapers once they are in the holder..

kijip
06-10-2009, 12:47 AM
I think fancy diaper pails really solve a problem of their own making. By taking all the diapers and putting them in one sealed spot, odors build. So make it odor free or somewhat less stinky and it is a solution. But like pp have indicated, it is not an issue if they just get put in with regular trash and that is emptied regularly.